Intermittant "bloody Jelly" Poos

Guest Willow

I'm going to take a stab at intussusception of the bowel... I only say that because you describe the stools as "bloody jelly" and at least in humans, 'red currant jelly stools' are the sign of intussusception.

I looked it up to see whether it occurs in dogs and it does - and can be intermittent.

Just a thought?!??!

Guest Willow

well, the results are in......

he has an anaerobic bacterial infection (clostridium), and should be fine after a course of antibiotics :)

There you go, same as my girl - and same treatment!!

However, from what I can see with my girl, it can reoccur.

Anaerobic bacteria flourishes without air.

I wonder what causes that? Did the vet say?

Guest Willow

Thanks for the well wishes :thumbsup:

It's nice to know what it is and that we can fix it......Yesterday I had talked myself into allsorts of dramatic & horrible conclusions, so when the vet rang & said what it was I said "Oh, that's GREAT!!!!....oh, well, not great, but you know what I mean!!! :) "

Vet wasn't sure what caused it......maybe we'll never know.....It's a puzzle to me.......still, he'll be on the mend very soon and back to his old self.....(my little 6kg superstar)

Rhusmiling.jpg

I have fed raw diet for a long time. I swear by it. I do not however give beef bones. However- any bones given ( mostly I give chicken bones) is totally raw, warmed only by room temp etc.

I hope your dog is better. Pancreatic enzymes can also elevated from stress as well. ( ie slang " stress diareah). One day I will post how I feed raw.

Get him on a good Human Grade Probiotic and also slippery elm bark powder on his food everyday.

I take a Probiotic Capsule with my breakfast and one Slippery Elm Bark Capsule three times a day with food.

Clostridium can re-occur, even in Humans. I would steer well clear of feeding him anything that you don't know where/how it has been cooked( eg bbq chooks from the chicken shop- they are notorious from carrying bugs like clostridium)

If I want to feed my girls cooked chook I cook it myself and same goes if I want cooked chook for me I roast one.

No worries Willow :thumbsup:

I have learnt what I can and cannot eat. Steer clear of anything high in fat, high in lactose and anything with pices in it.

Once Clostridium has attacked the bowel etc it takes quite a few weeks for it to go back to "normal". Did the Vet put your furkid on Metrogyl(metronidazole) and also some low dose prednislone? That is usually the standard treatment, even in humans( I know as I am on a course now as had an IBD Flare-up recently)