Epilepsy In Whippets?

Sorry to hear that Tag has had some more fits, don't despair I have a Springer who started to have fits about 2 years ago. he started in the September, at first the fits were 5 months apart and we only monitored him, unfortunately they became more frequent and were only a few weeks apart, he was then put on phenobarbitone (sp) and is on a very low dose and he is now fit free, it will be 2 years and no fits in Sept, He also has completed his CCD in Obedience and is a very happy dog. Please dont worry I know it is easy to say but medication can work fantastically.

Boston is 7.5 years old.

Give Tag a big cuddle and Boston send him a big Springer Kiss

Idopathic epilespy can occur at any age but the most common ages are between 1-3 years and 5-7 years

thanks Poodle(whippet)fan, springdog and Oakway. That's encouraging to hear about your boy Springdog, I haven't had him tested as yet Oakway. I took him to the vet after the first suspected fit and the vet said it's wait and see for now, he said it might be the only one he has. He said I need to document when I think he's had them and if it becomes more frequent then he'll do some tests. I need to say I've never actually seen him having a fit, just these odd dizzy spells that I suspect are the aftermath.

I will try to speak to him today just to let him know I think Tag's had another and I will ask him about a thyroid test. Right now Tag is tucked up in my bed and seems fine. It's the routine here, when I get up he gets in my bed, he loves it.

thanks Poodle(whippet)fan, springdog and Oakway. That's encouraging to hear about your boy Springdog, I haven't had him tested as yet Oakway. I took him to the vet after the first suspected fit and the vet said it's wait and see for now, he said it might be the only one he has. He said I need to document when I think he's had them and if it becomes more frequent then he'll do some tests. I need to say I've never actually seen him having a fit, just these odd dizzy spells that I suspect are the aftermath.

I will try to speak to him today just to let him know I think Tag's had another and I will ask him about a thyroid test. Right now Tag is tucked up in my bed and seems fine. It's the routine here, when I get up he gets in my bed, he loves it.

Aaaaahhhhhh, he sounds like most Whippets as he is still tucked up in bed.

I do hope it is not Epilepsy and maybe just him after a vomit.

Seizures can vary greatly in severity and still be classed as epilepsy.

My friend had a vizsla who would fit, but often it did not become a full-on uncontrolled seizure, but she would just sit there staring at us blankly with a glazed 'dopy' expression and sway on her feet from side to side.

We would lay her down and stroke her calm, which usually avoided a full fitting episode.

With a daily dose of 30mg Phenibarbitone even these 'mild' episodes almost ceased completely.

Vomitting is not a sign normally associated with epileptic seizures but still should not be ruled out as a possibility. Vomitting is a classic sign though of a brain disorder or injury however.

Epilepsy is diagnosed when all other conditions, such as disease, environment and injury, are ruled out. It is called epilepsy when everything else is ruled out and when there are no known causes for the seizures.

Are you sure he was vomitting or could it have been froth around the mouth? Usually, one side of the face, near the mouth will be more wet (the side they have laid on during the siezure... providing they sufferd a clonic/tonic)

Seizures can vary greatly in severity and still be classed as epilepsy.

My friend had a vizsla who would fit, but often it did not become a full-on uncontrolled seizure, but she would just sit there staring at us blankly with a glazed 'dopy' expression and sway on her feet from side to side.

We would lay her down and stroke her calm, which usually avoided a full fitting episode.

With a daily dose of 30mg Phenibarbitone even these 'mild' episodes almost ceased completely.

this is basically how I've found Tag, so whether or not he's had a full blown fit and this is the after effects or maybe this is as bad as his gets I dont know. It might not even be epilepsy, I just have to watch for now, and possibly get some bloods done the eliminate other possibilities, but I want to talk to the vet about that.

Vomitting is not a sign normally associated with epileptic seizures but still should not be ruled out as a possibility. Vomitting is a classic sign though of a brain disorder or injury however.

Epilepsy is diagnosed when all other conditions, such as disease, environment and injury, are ruled out. It is called epilepsy when everything else is ruled out and when there are no known causes for the seizures.

Are you sure he was vomitting or could it have been froth around the mouth? Usually, one side of the face, near the mouth will be more wet (the side they have laid on during the siezure... providing they sufferd a clonic/tonic)

No I awoke to the sounds of him upchucking and he deposited a stinking pile of spew on my bedroom floor. I wondered if it was caused by him feeling "seasick" though, he was so wobbly.

They don't get seasick though with epilepsy. In fact, with the majority of seizures they are unconcious and if not entirely unconcious, they are certainly not aware of their surroundings.

As jerojath said, there are many types of seizures. Each one has different physical manifestations depending on which part of the brain is affected and why.

The typical one that you hear about are waht used to be called grand mal, and are now more often referred to as tonic clonic. This is where the dog will lose consciousness, fall to its side, thrash and foam from the mouth. They may also lose control of their bladder and bowl.

A partial seizure may manifest itself in a variety of ways. When Monte has a partial (or a petit mal) he will lose awareness, show facial twitches and will seomtimes stumble around like he is drunk. he may even fall down for a second or two.

Focal seizures can be shown as fly catching or staring. With any of these, the dog may also vocalise.

I am not sure if this is the same, but some months ago, I came home and noticed one of my rescues behaving oddly. She was alittle subdued and was standing under the table where normally she would be right beside me. I then heard a retching sound and looked down and she was vomitting and was very wobbly. She moved a few paces and almost fell over and retched again. I picked her up and her head was wobbling and her eyes were going around as if she was dizzy. I threw her in a carry crate and raced off to the Vet. By the time I go there she was fine again! The Vet beleives she has an allergic reaction to an insect of some sort, possibly a spider. This sounds simialr to what you are saying you have experienced with your guy.

What I was meaning/wondering though is often they have that period after the seizure where they're disoriented and confused and they can be unsteady on their feet. That's what I am wondering if I am witnessing.

What I was meaning/wondering though is often they have that period after the seizure where they're disoriented and confused and they can be unsteady on their feet. That's what I am wondering if I am witnessing.

It still isn't something that would happen then, particularly if it was an epileptic seizure. In the post ictal phase, when they are disorientated and unsteady, they are still not aware of their surroundings. Some will crash into furniture, others may become aggressive and others may just prefer to sit in a corner.

I am not saying it is possible for them to vomit but I have not heard of an epileptic dog vomitting because of a seizure.

Hopefully your Vet will get a handle on what is happening at any rate and you'll find out what it is. Maybe if you can, try to video the incident if it happens again, to show your Vet.