Advice On New Camera - Which Canon

Hi all

I currently have a Canon EOS 400D which is now about 4 years old. Im thinking about upgrading to a newer Canon model (want to stay with Canon as I have 5 Canon lenses) but cant decide between the EOS 40D and EOS 50D. It looks like the 50D is about $600 more - does anyone know whether its worth it?

Ive read a few reviews and mostly the information seems to be 'not much different from the 40D' but Im not convinced!

Help! :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tess32

It depends on whether you think the features are worth it.

The live view is better, but if you don't use it - not worth it.

More megapixels so you can crop more

One very good feature is that you can adjust the auto focus of your own lenses instead of sending them into canon if you need to - it tweaks all lenses to your advantage.

The viewing screen is a lot bigger.

I decided to go for it between the two.

One very good feature is that you can adjust the auto focus of your own lenses instead of sending them into canon if you need to - it tweaks all lenses to your advantage.

Huh? What does this mean?

Sometimes when you use autofocus some lenses are slightly 'off' so with this feature you can fine tune each lens to give the best focus possible

Someone else might be able to explain it better than that though! :)

Tess, I love your photos on your website - they are amazing :)

Did I see you use a EF 70-200mm f/4L lens? If you do, do you have the image stabaliser one? I was looking at getting that lens but wasnt sure whether the IS was worth it....

Ruthless - I have just seen some of your photos in the photo section - beautiful!! You are very talented!

Guest Tess32
Tess, I love your photos on your website - they are amazing :)

Did I see you use a EF 70-200mm f/4L lens? If you do, do you have the image stabaliser one? I was looking at getting that lens but wasnt sure whether the IS was worth it....

Ruthless - I have just seen some of your photos in the photo section - beautiful!! You are very talented!

I have the NON IS version but if you can afford the IS version, get it. The IS works extremely well I've heard and it's the sharpest zoom lens in the canon range. I will prob upgrade eventually, depends how often I use it now that I have the 100-400 L.

I have the NON IS version but if you can afford the IS version, get it. The IS works extremely well I've heard and it's the sharpest zoom lens in the canon range. I will prob upgrade eventually, depends how often I use it now that I have the 100-400 L.

Awesome, thanks :) I will add up my pennies now :eek:

Guest Tess32

Sometimes when you use autofocus some lenses are slightly 'off' so with this feature you can fine tune each lens to give the best focus possible

Someone else might be able to explain it better than that though! :thumbsup:

Yep that's pretty much it. Sometimes lenses slightly backfocus or frontfocus, this allows you to test the lens and adjust it yourself instead. Can make a world of difference.

Lenses SHOULD come properly calibrated but...they don't always.

Hi all

I currently have a Canon EOS 400D which is now about 4 years old. Im thinking about upgrading to a newer Canon model (want to stay with Canon as I have 5 Canon lenses) but cant decide between the EOS 40D and EOS 50D. It looks like the 50D is about $600 more - does anyone know whether its worth it?

Ive read a few reviews and mostly the information seems to be 'not much different from the 40D' but Im not convinced!

Help! :laugh:

My OH has a 50D and I have a 40D... I purposefully chose the 40D because I couldn't justify it with the slight differences. I don't use live view and I don't care about a couple of extra MP. Personal choice though!

The resolution of the LCD on the back is better in the 50D - that's the only major difference that I've 'noticed' when using the two cameras. The rest doesn't bother me.

I didn't know that ... better read the manual! :laugh:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Guest Tess32
IM still lost - you point the centre focus at something and the lens should focus on that object. If it doesnt wouldnt that mean the lens is faulty?

No the lens isn't faulty, just needs to be calibrated. They SHOULD be calibrated when brand new and Canon's quality control is pretty good, but there are still plenty of lenses that could do with some minor auto focus adjustment. Back and front focus issues aren't rare with any brand.

You may not ever notice it if it's minor, I never have but I'm going to microadjust my 100-400 just to see the difference.

The 70-200 L without IS is great so long as you keep the shutter speed high enough. I have shot at 1/160 @ 200mm handholding it and still got sharp shots without bumping up the ISO (but I leaned against a wall to do this). As I mentioned previously, I cannot hand hold this lens with the 1.4 teleconverter attached though, the added weight is too much for sharp enough shots and if you want to do that, you will need to buy a tripod collar for it and whack it on a tripod.

Think I am with KJA on this one, based on someone I trust who used/compared both.

Really, Canon should be responsible for getting their lenses right especially if you

are plonking down a couple grand. Next they will have cameras that can apparently

do the dishes :laugh: