Tips Needed

catandgrant

Daisy did that when she was a puppy too, Catandgrant. We didn't mind her being on the lounge but then she started growling at us when we moved her or told her to get off.

Instead of confronting her (which made her behaviour worse) we taught her the 'off' command. I started by luring her off the lounge with a treat and giving her big rewards for being on the floor/in her crate. It took no time at all and now if she is on the lounge, we can move her without any growling, and she responds immediately to the off command.

Thanks huski. We have been trying the treats. Sometimes it works and other times he just makes himself perfectly comfortable and won't budge!

Will probably try the lead tonifght just as a back up if all else fails. I dont want to force him but if we have no choice maybe that is the way.

tell me they grow out of this???

Do you find when they have been desexed they settle down a bit? i'm kinda counting on that at the moment!!! 1 month to go!

Daisy did that when she was a puppy too, Catandgrant. We didn't mind her being on the lounge but then she started growling at us when we moved her or told her to get off.

Instead of confronting her (which made her behaviour worse) we taught her the 'off' command. I started by luring her off the lounge with a treat and giving her big rewards for being on the floor/in her crate. It took no time at all and now if she is on the lounge, we can move her without any growling, and she responds immediately to the off command.

Thanks huski. We have been trying the treats. Sometimes it works and other times he just makes himself perfectly comfortable and won't budge!

Will probably try the lead tonifght just as a back up if all else fails. I dont want to force him but if we have no choice maybe that is the way.

tell me they grow out of this???

Do you find when they have been desexed they settle down a bit? i'm kinda counting on that at the moment!!! 1 month to go!

No, desexing made no difference to Daisy. She was a stubborn little shit from day one :clap: They won't grow out of it on their own - it all depends on the rules and boundaries you set and if you are consistent and enforce them - but they do settle down as they get older.

Have you got a bed or a crate for him to be on instead? I bought Daisy a crate to help with this very issue. It gave her a place that was her own and somewhere she wanted to be, an alternative to the lounge.

yeah, he has his crate which has his toys etc in it. He can sit happily in there for ages and then he suddenly comes rushing at the lounge and jumps up. Really out of the blue. Its like he gets bored and suddenly gets a burst of energy! He goes at the lounge with so much force. He clearly must be demonic! :clap:

yeah, he has his crate which has his toys etc in it. He can sit happily in there for ages and then he suddenly comes rushing at the lounge and jumps up. Really out of the blue. Its like he gets bored and suddenly gets a burst of energy! He goes at the lounge with so much force. He clearly must be demonic! :clap:

;) Are you doing some training with him? Might need to get that brain working in a good way :)

Wow, it just keeps getting worse. He has now taken to jumping up when we are not there and then when we go to put him down he is starting to growl and attempt to bite us!

I really don't know what to do when he does this. I don't want to keep at him when he is like this as clearly i dont want to get bitten but at the moment is he ruling the roost!

Doing my head in. I just want my lounge back :clap:

Big time ruling the roost .

Confusion can also play a big factor.

he finished puppy schoolm about 3 weeks ago. We are now looking at obedience training just to keep his training up.

We also cannot walk him at the moment as we are waiting on a halti. He pulls so much on both collar and harness so halti is our last option at the moment. Has been pulling so hard he loses his breath.

Oh dear. Bring on obedience classes!

We play as much as we can with him and make him run around till he is ragged.

So it could be a mix or stubborness and boredom. Mostly boredom.

We also cannot walk him at the moment as we are waiting on a halti. He pulls so much on both collar and harness so halti is our last option at the moment. Has been pulling so hard he loses his breath.

If he is pulling so constantly and strongly- and you have never used a halti ...and given his age.. I would NOT recommend it!!

A couple of one-on-one sessions with a professional trainer will probably do the trick, though!!

We play as much as we can with him and make him run around till he is ragged.

Running around is exercising his body- making him fitter, but not tiring him mentally. ;)in fact, you may be stirring him up!!

Pulling can be its own reward.

What do you do to correct him?

Most harnesses just make it easier for a dog TO pull, in my opinion...tho some hhere have used specific ones to help stop pulling :thumbsup:

Stopping pulling requires YOu to be patient, calm and committed.

May I suggest you start him immediately on THIS :thumbsup: , too ?

Edited by persephone

We used to walk him just collar and lead until he started pulling so much he made himself sick.

We got tipos from our puppy trainer and she suggested everytime he started pulling stopping and walking in the other direction until he starts pulling again and keep repeating. We did this so many times and he just didnt seem to get the jist.

The only reason we bought the harness is so he didnt make himself so sick.

So many people have raved about halti's and how they make walking a much better experience.

Has anyone had a good experience with them??

Sorry, this started as a post about our couch and has now turned to walking!!

We did this so many times and he just didnt seem to get the jist.

I believe its a cocker??

Given his age you didnt do it long enough.

He pulls only because you allow it .What the trainer suggested is a good start,using food/toy for distraction & training,using your voice tone to encourage watching skills & listening.There are so many methods you can use & as said the halti would be the last resort.

Also realise the halti wont train the dog its just a object of convenience .You will still need to do the hard yards of training to walk once taken off.

Your pup is young & at an age that they are craving to learn & listen.they are also at an age to realise if no boundaries or consistency is set they can try harder to rule the roost.

Yes, he is a cocker, 18 weeks.

Thanks everyone. Back to the collar and lead tonight!

I guess he will one day learn when we keep stopping and starting and not giving him what he wants.

There is a very small light at the end of the tunnel.

We have never let the dog get on the lounge or the bed so she doesn't really know what she is missing but she does have her own bed right beside the lounge which she loves. Her bed is her space and her comfort zone which she readily goes to but we can also ask her to go 'on your bed'. If you don't want the dog on the lounge at all I would suggest having somewhere they can lie themselves but are still close to you.

We were recommended a halti when we first had our pup but I wanted to teach her not to pull not just stop her from pulling so we persisted with a collar and lead. We used the 'tree method' - when she pulled we didn't go anywhere, if she took a step back and there was slack in the lead we can begin walking again. You just need to be patient and consistent and the dog will eventually get the message.

Hi there

No comments for the walking problem, my Dobe never had an issue there, but she did want to be a lounge lizard early on. Solution was so simple it was laughable, but might not match your problem as she never got growly about it.

She had a nice basket with a doona in it but clearly the lounge was squishy and more comfortable. Off we went to Mitre 10 (before Bunnings existed) bought a piece of 4inch sponge foam, cut it to fit the basket, threw the doona on top and she never ever tried to get on the couch again. Bed fit for a princess.

Shel