Obedience Trial

OK I am thinking of entering Diesel in an obedience trial. So at least I can say we entered one and gave it a go :)

Now he is on associate register. I have not entered anything with DogsNSW before so have no idea where to start! Can I use the show entry forms I got with my membership or do I need another one? Where do I write obedience class entered etc?

Yes, you can use the same form. Put "Associate" for breed and there should be a spot for Class on the bottom right.

I'll have a look at one when I get home if no one can be more specific now.

Edited by poodlefan

Cool thanks

My main fear is that when we start off and I say heel that he will just sit there and not move :)

Don't worry if it happens - you won't be the first handler to stride confidently down the ring with the dog sitting back at the peg watching. :)

Yeah I figure the first one is going to be shocking - should just go and get it over with :) Diesel is one who doesn't work well if I am nervous and acting differently, so I doubt we'll do well, but maybe it'll help me get over my nerves.

What is involved in vetting?

Generally it means checking bitches to see that they are not in season. This is usually done by someone at check in for the trial. It's a physical check of the bitches bits.

Often the schedule will say something like "vetting - entire bitches only" which means if you have a desexed bitch you don't have to worry. If they want to vet all bitches, I show the ear tattoo on my desexed one. If you have a boy you don't have to worry anyway.

Edited by poodlefan

Cool, thanks. Diesel has allergies and is itchy and scratches a lot (especially when stressed or excited), and has a bald patch on his side where he chews, just checking that it wouldn't cause a problem.

What does this mean? Does it just mean you can choose whether to do about turn or pivot turn?

About Turns:

Handlers are to execute about turns, i.e. pivot and or U turns, as they see fit during the

heeling routine without penalty.

And you can use the dog's name at the start of the exercise to get their attention? So I can try to avoid the dreaded embarrassment if I walk off and the dog stays there :cool: :thumbsup:

What is involved in vetting?

Generally it means checking bitches to see that they are not in season. This is usually done by someone at check in for the trial. It's a physical check of the bitches bits.

Often the schedule will say something like "vetting - entire bitches only" which means if you have a desexed bitch you don't have to worry. If they want to vet all bitches, I show the ear tattoo on my desexed one. If you have a boy you don't have to worry anyway.

The trials I've been to as a steward and observer, they have vetted ALL dogs - both male & female. apparently this is common in NSW - I have been told that it is because that a few years ago dogs picked up canine cough after a trial and they believe that a dog attended the trial with it - don't know how true it is.

And you can use the dog's name at the start of the exercise to get their attention? So I can try to avoid the dreaded embarrassment if I walk off and the dog stays there :cool: :thumbsup:

You will need to check the rule book for this one. I know that you can only use the dog's name at the start of the heeling pattern, but NOT when resuming heeling after a halt, down or stand. And, you can use the dog's name for the recall. BUT in both cases, the rules say that there must be a distinct pause between the name and the command - I have heard reference to 2 seconds, but haven't found this in the rule book. I have noticed that a lot of people don't use the dog's name in the recall - I can only guess that might be because they are scared that the dog may anticipate the command and come on their name instead of the recall command. Most judges that I have watched will wait for the dog to look at the handler before giving the order to call your dog.

Yeah I only want to use it at the start of a heeling pattern. Once we're off I think he might be OK, mostly worried about him being left behind at the start. I won't use it in the recall, because I know my dog recalls to his name.

You're probably already doing it, but get a start post of some kind (electric fence dropper.pigtail would be fine), and do lots of practice setting up at the post - take the trouble to go in via the rope and turn in so you (or rather Diesel) come straight onto the peg, and setting off from the post, rewarding him heavily for coming with you. Do it in as many different places as you can, and if you can get someone to work with you and act as judge - doing all the sort of spiel they do before hand as well.

Can't suggest anything much for your nerves - a swift brandy, maybe..... :thumbsup: And have fun, and celebrate whatever he does right.

Good point, I should practice with a peg.

With the nerves, well I am hoping experience will help that :) Just means the first few will be shocking! :)

Getting better at agility now, not so nervous, but you can give more cues and commands in agility, and once you are on course, it is just you and the dog, noone telling you what to do.

The trick with obedience is to listen to what the judge says and do only what they say.

I went through a period where at the first turn in the heeling pattern I would do the opposite turn to what the judge asked for - don't ask - eg judge says left turn, Bear and Faxon do a beautiful right turn and vice versa. If this does happen to you just keep going the Judge will fix it. :wave:

I've also be in a trial where the Judge forgot to tell the handles to about turn for the stays so we all just kept walking down the ring. It did get interesting when we got close to the ring rope. :laugh:

Remember it's all FUN so just go out and enjoy yourselves. :rofl:

Good luck.

Bear.

Yeah must remember to have fun :laugh: I get really nervous and stressy, no wonder Diesel lags in that situation :rofl:

I have more fun at agility, think the judge giving directions at obedience is what makes me nervous. But can't do agility with Diesel as he is not really coordinated enough lol would be so frustrating after the Kelpies, and he broke his leg as a pup, doesn't bother him but I wouldn't want to test it at comps. So obedience it is :wave:

ETA: OH is asking why I am torturing myself by considering putting Diesel in a trial :rofl:

Edited by Kavik