Do You Find This More Economical?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To get your dog vaccinated against heartworm & do the spectrum every 3 months instead of doing it every month?

I would never vaccinate my dogs against heart worm (and definitely not with an ivermictin sensitive breed like aussies). For aussies the only heartworm recommended is Sentinel Interceptor or Spectrum. I think there also some daily pills that don't contain any -ictin but I don't remember the name.

Just do a search about heartworm 'vaccine' and you will find a lot of threads about it.

Edited by laffi

Do you mean the annual injection when you say 'vaccinating'?

Yes

I would never vaccinate my dogs against heart worm (and definitely not with an ivermictin sensitive breed like aussies). For aussies the only heartworm recommended is Sentinel Interceptor or Spectrum. I think there also some daily pills that don't contain any -ictin but I don't remember the name.

Just do a search about heartworm 'vaccine' and you will find a lot of threads about it.

Yes I know Laffi I will inquire about my vet to see if its safe, mine 'ours' used to be wormed with something totally different, can't recall the name, will have to ask Belinda, they had shown no sensitivity in particular apparently.

Yes

Yes I know Laffi I will inquire about my vet to see if its safe, mine 'ours' used to be wormed with something totally different, can't recall the name, will have to ask Belinda, they had shown no sensitivity in particular apparently.

A lot of vets don't consider heartworm 'vaccine' unsafe. A lot of vets would also advise to vaccinate (C5) yearly :) .

Yes

A lot of vets don't consider heartworm 'vaccine' unsafe. A lot of vets would also advise to vaccinate (C5) yearly :) .

Not my new one, my last one yes, I had book for a normal booster but the vet decided to give C5 which I only realize once I paid & saw the detailed invoice last time I went there!

Yes

Not my new one, my last one yes, I had book for a normal booster but the vet decided to give C5 which I only realize once I paid & saw the detailed invoice last time I went there!

I meant any yearly boosters (not just C5). I don't think dogs should be vaccinated yearly.

Yes

I meant any yearly boosters (not just C5). I don't think dogs should be vaccinated yearly.

Mine aren't - I couldn't find that particular ingredient, will do a thorough search later cant remember its name & will ask the ingredient of the heartworming vacc. to my vet in the morning.

i had previously had my dogs vaccinated with the yearly heartworm injection till there last vacc when the vet informed me they had increased in price a fair bit.I priced it out and it was much cheaper to go with monthly tablets.Just after I read a thread on here regarding yearly heatworm injections and was glad I had changed

I just use the daily heartworm pills from Woolies! They cost about $3.50 for 100 tablets.

You just have to remember to give them daily though! Have been using them for ages,always give them with their breakfast then it's easy to remember :)

I wouldn't trust any of those supermarket wormer. Apparently they don't do a great job.

For those who don't vaccinate yearly - how often do you? How do you explain to your eager-to-vaccinate-yearly-vet that you don't want to?

We vaccinate our 3 cats yearly but they are indoor only cats, maybe we shouldn't?

Dilemmas!

About the cats, I have spoken to my vet & if they never have access to the outdoors all you really need to do is your worming every 3 months.

Most here on DOL, have done a titre test on their dog, which indicate how much immunity their dogs have agaisnt some specific 'disease', and only vaccinate if the levels are too low to protect the dog, otherwise they don't, also titre testing apparently only need to be done once from what I read, correct me if I'm wrong experienced one. :)

Thankyou Love ASD! I didn't understand the titre testing before, but now I do!

Pup has just had her 6wk vacc the other day, and I guess she gets the 2nd vacc at 10weeks old which makes her good to go in terms of meeting other dogs in parks etc, no worries etc.. do I still get next year's vaccination done, and then get her titre tested? Or just get her titre tested later this year and maybe avoid next years booster? I guess I'll ask my vet

Definately something I never knew about! Before this forum I thought vaccinating yearly was not a questionable thing. I would definately prefer not injecting my precious dog with the stuff every year if its not entirely necessary. will definately look into this