Chewing Other Dogs Collars Off

stolz

Mine don't wear collars at home for that exact reason. They like to pull each other around by the collar/neck fur and to come home to a dog with it's jaw stuck in another dogs collar would be my worst nightmare, so I remove their collars and just have them attached to their leads.

:D Sorry I find that very funny as my greyhound puppy is chewing off the yard muzzles on our foster dogs....He ate 3 in 2 days....grrrrr So I know how you feel.

I to do not have collars on our dogs for safety reasons and puppies will be puppies...

While we are assessing new greys who have there muzzles on we now also have to muzzle my pup so no accidents happen...

As it is, I don't have a collar on my dog when we're at home and especially not when he's home alone. But most definitely I would not have collars on dogs when there is more than one of them. If I found myself in a situation where them wearing a collar in my absence was absolutely necessary (imagination prevents me from thinking of such an instance though), I would have them wear nothing less than a 'break-away' collar, however if your dogs fool around with each others' collars you'd probably find them more off (and chewed) than on.

Flava (DOL member) lost one of her dogs this way. It was a very sad and tragic evening when she came home and found him.

Edited by Erny

We're going through a similar thing at the moment, my younger one likes to drag my girl around by her collar. They both wear breakaways and yes, I starting finding them off more than they were on (it had become a game to get the collar off :love: )

I'm having some success with bitter spray, but I need to reapply it often (at least once a day) for it to work. Might be worth a try?