Cartrophen For Life

huga

A bit of history:

Lola was diagnosed with Legg Calve Perthes Disease when she was six months old. Treatment was removal of the femoral head, plus a course of cartrophen injections. That was nearly 5 years ago. She has always skipped intermittently on the affected leg, but lately she has started limping on it more and more. This week she has been carrying it for a while after waking up.

So I took her to the vet today, he wants her to have weekly cartrophen for four weeks and recommended glucosamine. That's fine. But he also said that she should have cartrophen every two to three months indefinitely. Does that seem like overkill? I'm just a bit worried because it's a steroid.

My 4yo dog is on the same course of shots as Lola, he is now up to 3 monthly injections which seem to make a difference in his arthritis. We have him on a joint formula to help maintain his joints but the cartrophen seems to make a big difference.

Is the limping really bad?

Is she on Sasha's Blend or an alternative?

I would be really tempted to get her onto the Sasha's Blend and give it at least 6 weeks to have an effect before more cartrophen. But I can't see how long she is hobbling on it.

Would also look into liquid glucosamine.

If she is even just the smallest bit overweight I would be getting the extra weight off her as well.

Edited by puggy_puggy

Yeah, she is limping pretty badly now, it's not constant, but she has been doing it heaps more over the last couple of days. I'm not worried about the short course of cartrophen, it's the long term maintenance that I'm cautious about. I was going to get her onto the liquid glucosamine, but will look into the green pets one - I like the thought of a pain killer in it.

Her weight is spot on at the moment - 7.8kgs :thumbsup: I can see her last rib.

Edited by huga

I give my old golden retriever (16yo) a cartrophen shot every 6-8weeks now and will do for life. It's quite safe - not all that dissimilar to giving glucosamine.

Edited by stormie

Oh ok - thanks Stormie :thumbsup: She's only 5 though, so she has a lot of years of cartrophen ahead (hopefully).

BellaEvie - thanks for the link :laugh: I might start Harry on something like that too. He is so active, I'm sure he puts a lot of pressure on his joints.

im a believer is some cases that quality of life is better than pain.

If shes on cartrophen is because shes in pain,

She should have been on gluco etc from the time she was diagnosed :thumbsup:

I would also be taking her to a bowen person.Legg perthes does take its toll on the other muscles when ther limping so the soreness could be her back .

My GR started on it when she was younger than your dog, and it didnt have any side effect. In fact it was the only thing that didnt cause stomach issues. She had reactions to all the other ones we tried. She had it every few months (Hip & Elbow dysplasia and Arthritis from 10 months of age). I noticed a massive difference in her pain :thumbsup:

Edited by LucyCharzie

My old boy has the cartophen injections every 3 months, but I must admit since giving him Glucosamine powder (human formula 1tspn sprinkled on his food morning and night) together with a fish oil capsule daily I have seen a huge difference.

cartrophen is not a steroid and is fine for long term use.

Although it is not very effective in all animals. Find a good holistic vet and start with glucosamine/chondrointin and fish oil caps as they will help a lot.

CHloe has been on Cartrophen for many years - no long term side effects and it is one of the best for long term use.

I have heard though that it becomes less effective over time - anyone know if it's true? I guess the source of the pain would also be getting gradually worse (ie arthritis etc) which might explain it, but I also heard that regular use over years would lessen the effectiveness? Any thoughts?

Chloe only has a course 2 - 3 times a year and it's still working for her - makes a huge difference. It's very common - and no not a steroid.

its effects can wain over the years mainly due to advancing wear and tear on the joint and the drug cannot keep up with that.

its better to build muscle and supplement then only rely on Cartrophen/Pentosan.

I took Diesel off completely it did nothing for him at all, in fact he seemed lamer on it then off.

Oh thats no good - fortunately its been a life saver for Chloe, but yes I have heard that some dogs have no effect from it. Unfortunate, as when it does work it is fabulous - huge difference.

Speaking of, Chloe must be due for another round... this cold weather isn't good for her poor old joints :wave: