Pseudomonas Chronic Ear Infection

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks oakway and everyone - just heard from the surgeon - Mac is waking up from the GA, very groggy, all went well, the facial nerve seems fine on initial indications (he's blinking), the ear canal has been removed and the putrid middle ear cavity drained. He has a drain in, is on big-time pain killers, they are culturing the pus from the middle ear cavity (it was full of it) to see if some antibiotic treatment will help and he'll be at the vets for a couple of days.

I would love to go and see him but I think he'll be too distressed when I leave so I'll just see him when I collect him.

This is one very relieved westiemum! :cry:

Hi Everyone,

Well sadly for my stoic boy the pseudomonas is back - and with a vengeance. So he had a huge flush out under GA on Monday afternoon - and although it went well apparently the putrid rubbish that came out was incredible... the tympanic membrane is ruptured (and not in good shape anyway) and apparently there's evidence that the infection has been behind the ear drum all the time which explains why the wretched thing keeps coming back. In other words this is not just chronic ear infection but serious chronic middle ear disease.

We have done a culture again, results in today and it seems we are going to have trouble finding an oral medication this time which he isn't resistant to... but the vet is doing some research tonight and we'll talk tomorrow. In the meantime his pain is well controlled except when the dermotic drops are inserted in the ear (the pain behaviours all escalate and he's miserable...)

It looks like we are heading for major surgery - removal of the ear canal, drum and the middle ear cavity. If it means that my boy will be pain free and off this constant parade of medication then I think we have got to the stage where we need to go ahead...

So... does anyone have any experience with this type of surgery? How successful was it? (I'm not worried about how I'm going to pay for it - that's what equity in the mortgage is for).

Any help or advice would be really appreciated... as he's not the only one feeling very 'flat' about the prospect of surgery... :rofl::eek:

Thanks everyone,

Cheers,

Westiemum :rolleyes:

My first ridgeback had both ears done, she was great after, a bit deaf, but otherwise fine & no more annoying infections.

Thanks ridgiemum,

I've rung the vet this morning and he's flat but fine, as to be expected after major surgery and a GA and on track to come home tomorrow. Thanks for all of you encouragement. I'm sure he will be much better with the pain ultimately gone and me not chasing him around the house with a syringe full of drops 2-3 times a day. :laugh:

Hi Everyone,

Well sadly for my stoic boy the pseudomonas is back - and with a vengeance. So he had a huge flush out under GA on Monday afternoon - and although it went well apparently the putrid rubbish that came out was incredible... the tympanic membrane is ruptured (and not in good shape anyway) and apparently there's evidence that the infection has been behind the ear drum all the time which explains why the wretched thing keeps coming back. In other words this is not just chronic ear infection but serious chronic middle ear disease.

We have done a culture again, results in today and it seems we are going to have trouble finding an oral medication this time which he isn't resistant to... but the vet is doing some research tonight and we'll talk tomorrow. In the meantime his pain is well controlled except when the dermotic drops are inserted in the ear (the pain behaviours all escalate and he's miserable...)

It looks like we are heading for major surgery - removal of the ear canal, drum and the middle ear cavity. If it means that my boy will be pain free and off this constant parade of medication then I think we have got to the stage where we need to go ahead...

So... does anyone have any experience with this type of surgery? How successful was it? (I'm not worried about how I'm going to pay for it - that's what equity in the mortgage is for).

Any help or advice would be really appreciated... as he's not the only one feeling very 'flat' about the prospect of surgery... :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks everyone,

Cheers,

Westiemum :angeldevil:

My first ridgeback had both ears done, she was great after, a bit deaf, but otherwise fine & no more annoying infections.

Thank you everyone - I had to leave for Melbourne on Tuesday afternoon after Mac had his surgery on Monday morning and came back last night.

My mother very kindly picked Mac up from the vet late yesterday afternoon and he was home when I got home from the airport two hours later - and we were so pleased to see each other!! (I genuinely don't know who was more pleased...) - anyway he is on Tramal drops for pain relief, some covering antibiotics, and Metacam, an anti-inflammatory.

The dog-sitting mother was unavailable this morning so Mac came into the office with me for the morning and attended a major project meeting! He was a very good boy. He is certainly improving really rapidly :thumbsup: - much brighter eyed, eating and weing well and not letting me out of his sight (that's not unusual) :thumbsup: He has gained a few more Aunties and Uncles in the office many who offered to babysit him...

Will post some photos in the morning... now I've got over what he looks like, it might be useful for anyone else facing the same thing.

Thanks again for your support and kindness - much appreciated. Now we're all off to bed!

Not for the squeamish... Here's the boy taken last night and this morning. The vet decided not to take the drain out this morning - possibly tomorrow. He's very well, happy in himself and although the wounds look grim, they are actualy very clean and healing well...

post-11746-1259899781_thumb.jpg

That is a wonderful job! I think it is looking great - but I'm not sqeemish! :p

I am sure he will be so much better.

I would be very happy with your vet, looks great and when all hair hair has grown back, you would be hard pressed to know it had been done.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Thanks Rommi n Lewis and Persephone - yes I'm so thrilled he's doing so well. Yes I said to one of my regular vets this morning to please thank the surgeon again - I think he's done a brilliant job. :p

And P you're no kidding about pain and pus free days - the thought of not having to constantly pour stuff down his ear again will be a God-send for him in particluar - and me as well! :rofl:

ETA: One of the long standing very good vet nurses this morning said she was amazed at how well he was doing after 'such long, major surgery'. Not sure how long it took but i got the impression it took most of the morning.

Edited by westiemum

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to show you Mac's post operative progress. I think he's doing brilliantly - no post surgical complications at all - and he is so much happier - and 'bouncey'! :) . These photos were taken this afternoon - 3 weeks and 5 days post op. He had a clip on Christmas Eve - and we decided to 'even him up'! So now he looks like a schnauzer or a white version of a scotty!! :) But I think he's still a very handsome boy!! Thanks again to everyone for your interest, support and good wishes, during what has been a very long journey since January this year :o

Cheers,

Westiemum and Mac.

post-11746-1261813771_thumb.jpg post-11746-1261813886_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

Thanks persephone - yes I think he looks great too - and yes he'll eventually look like a westie again :o - and I just can't get over how well he has healed - particularly considering it was a 4 hour op and accompanying GA - really quite remarkable. Apparently it caused quite a stir at the vets since it was such major surgery. :)