Wahl Clipper Attachment Combs

I have a Wahl KM-2 clipper which was supplied with a #10 blade. I am looking at buying a set of stainless steel attachment guide combs and the ad states they work best with a Competition #30 blade. I only use the clipper for pet grooming so I am wondering if I can use the combs with a #10 blade or if I definitely need the #30?

I have the km ss and I have the SS attachments and they work perfectly fine with the 10 blade. What was the reason that they would be better with a 30??

I love them, before I had the plastic ones on my old clippers and they were ok but not a patch on the Stainless ones they are fab!! Mine clippers came with the attachmets as a kit.

Thanks for the replies. I will use them to clip my Lakeland's bottom, tummy and ears and would feel a bit safer using the combs (although I have used the clippers without them).

I will use them withe #10 blade and see how I get on.

My clippers didn't come with any combs but I did get a great grooming bag and apron with them - the bag is huge!

Edited by Drumbeat

Hey, i find that a #10 blade doesnt give the true length that the guard combs are meant to give. Any #30 is fine, doesnt have to be the championship blades!!!

I would very strongly advise you do not use a #40 as they will break the blade in a heartbeat (speaking from experience)

Also just to give you the guide,

yellow is equivalent to 1/2"

light purple = 3/4"

green = 1"

light blue = 2"

In relation to the normal black plastic combs.

wouldnt really bother with the others unless you wanna go shorter than a #4f blade.

Hope this sorta helps

Hey, i find that a #10 blade doesnt give the true length that the guard combs are meant to give. Any #30 is fine, doesnt have to be the championship blades!!!

I would very strongly advise you do not use a #40 as they will break the blade in a heartbeat (speaking from experience)

light purple = 3/4"

green = 1"

light blue = 2"

wouldnt really bother with the others unless you wanna go shorter than a #4f blade.

Hope this sorta helps

So would the #10 leave the hair longer or shorter than expected?

I will use them to clip my Lakeland's bottom, tummy and ears and would feel a bit safer using the combs (although I have used the clippers without them
). [

I wouldnt use the clip ons for those areas & certainly not the ears.

I would just buy a blade ie #4 or #5 or even a #7.Much easier

I will use them to clip my Lakeland's bottom, tummy and ears and would feel a bit safer using the combs (although I have used the clippers without them
). [

I wouldnt use the clip ons for those areas & certainly not the ears.

I would just buy a blade ie #4 or #5 or even a #7.Much easier

Thanks, I'll look go and look at a blade instead.

I agree with setterlv, you won't need combs for these areas, I actually use a #10 when grooming dogs bums and bellies anyway

You would generally use combs on the body of a dog when the longer blades (such as a #3) are too short for the style.

I agree with setterlv, you won't need combs for these areas, I actually use a #10 when grooming dogs bums and bellies anyway

You would generally use combs on the body of a dog when the longer blades (such as a #3) are too short for the style.

Thanks for the advice, I've still got a lot to learn.

Without seeing the coat & presuming it has agood thick type of coat i would be using an #8.5 for the bum & #10 for the ears but as Vehs said you can use a #10 for the bum aswell.

The clip on combs are generally used to do Bichons,fluffies,poodles & the likes to maintain that fluffy look that the blades dont always get.

We have mini schnauzers aswell & have never used the clip on combs except for maybe shortening legs but we prefer to hand scissor.

Im gathering your stripping the top coat or rolling & just want to tidy the ears,bum,belly & throat?

light purple = 3/4"

green = 1"

light blue = 2"

Hope this sorta helps

So would the #10 leave the hair longer or shorter than expected?

leaves the hair longer and i also find doesnt give as neat-a-finish to the dogs. #30 gives the true length. also just remember coats need to be perfectly clean and knot free when using attachments. If you pull through a knot with these you will have a big hole. lol good luck :mad

Always use with a #30 blade, they are specifically designed for this and other blades won`t allow the hair to be fed correctly. I mainly use clip on combs for dogs that need a longer finish than a #3 gives. You can get creative and adapt looks to suit the dog using this and clever shearing technique. Always make sure the coat is completely knot free before using clip ons.

Without seeing the coat & presuming it has agood thick type of coat i would be using an #8.5 for the bum & #10 for the ears but as Vehs said you can use a #10 for the bum aswell.

The clip on combs are generally used to do Bichons,fluffies,poodles & the likes to maintain that fluffy look that the blades dont always get.

We have mini schnauzers aswell & have never used the clip on combs except for maybe shortening legs but we prefer to hand scissor.

Im gathering your stripping the top coat or rolling & just want to tidy the ears,bum,belly & throat?

Yes, that's right although would like to keep stripping the throat if she will keep still!! It would be nice to buy a few different blades but they are so expensive, will a #5 be too long for the bum? I did use the #10 on it last time but it was quite short compared to the rest of the coat, although it blended in after a week or so.