Hip And Joint Problems.

Two and a half years ago I adopted a dog who had a lot of problems, behavioural, mental and physical after being badly abused by his old owners. We managed to sort out the mental and behavioural problems and get his weight down from 43kgs to about 30 (he could still stand to lose a couple more) and he didn't seem to have any residual problems. He's bouncy, happy and doesn't act his age. :)

However, this week i came home to find him crying and even a vet examination couldn't find out where on his body he'd injured. She checked everywhere and we think it's his neck (he's injured it before so it could be an old injury playing up) - I'm taking him out to the chiro to try and help that but during her examination she also found that he doesn't like it when she pulls back on his hips. Without x-rays, she couldn't tell me if he has hip problems (i'll have the x-rays done in the next couple of months) or if he just didn't like her examining him but I want to be prepared just in case. Is there anything I can put in his diet now that would help to protect his joint from further damage?

He gets oily fish a couple of times a week on top of his diet of artemis and RMBs - what else can I add?

yep, jointguard, nature's own do a great concentrate powder avail. from health food shops, you only need a tiny amount per day. I also use an ester C tablet per day (never just vit. c though, only ester c). and fish oil. Only have short walks too, 30 mins is plenty, as this can do a lot more damage, no jumping etc., it's all common sense really. Once you know yay or nay, you can follow through or go back to normal activity if OK. :)

Hopefully it is not what you suspect. Good luck,

go to a good chiropractor and knock that weight off asap

I use Glucosamine/chondroiten/msm and fish oil caps

I also put my dogs on the food that agrees with them the best to prevent systemic inflammations

you can also consider Pentosan if it gets worst or if x-rays are not too good the odd one monthly.

Aproduct called Glyde. It's available from Vet clinics and has Glucosamine/Chondroiten/Green lipped mussel etc. Also pentosan shots from vet. Get the weight off a.s.a.p.

Make sure bedding is raised off the ground outside also.

Dogs the dog have any symptoms such as knuckling (even slight movements), are the nails wearing down unevenly, is the dog more stiff turning the head to one particular side?

He's not showing any outward symptoms Neatz - he's completely normal aside from what the vet said. I'm not sure if i was overreacting to him not wanting his legs pulled (it's very possible that's what it might be) or if he really does have a problem but I'll add some supplements to his diet until i have him looked at.

He's not showing any outward symptoms Neatz - he's completely normal aside from what the vet said. I'm not sure if i was overreacting to him not wanting his legs pulled (it's very possible that's what it might be) or if he really does have a problem but I'll add some supplements to his diet until i have him looked at.

Ok that's good. Maybe the change in weather is affecting him a bit.

We had the same comment from the vet about our 4 year old rescue - that his hips feel tight and he doesn't like when she pulled back on them. We did notice that after a big session of play he walked slower and lay down a lot, but apart from that nothing.

He's now been on Jointguard for about 8 months and we have definitely noticed a difference. He doesn't slow down at all now and doesn't care as much about his hips being pulled. I'd definitely recommend it!

We have been using Joint Guard for a few years now on our Lab with joint issues and he has been doing extremely well.

He has hip & elbow dysplasia and it hasn't stopped him from being active. He hasnt been on non steroidals for years and gets top up of Pentosan every 12 months.

My mother in law has recently started her dog on Joint Guard treats and her dog is a new dog!!