Crate

danielle09

I highly recommend crating pup beside your bed at night! Fill the crate with soft, nice bedding and a few safe toys. Cover it with a blanket somewhat. Make it a 'nice' place to be, feed pup treats in there, and praise it for being in there. Put pup in there as you go to bed, and it will be much calmer knowing you are asleep beside it (they can hear and smell you). Then if it needs to go loo, they will whine/make noises to let you know they have to go to the toilet (pups are taught by mummy dog not to soil their 'bedding' which is why this technique is so successful) and providing you wake up and hear the whining, you can rush it outside to pee/poo!

I was lucky cos my puppy was already used to sleeping in a crate when I got her, but any new pups should settle down within a few days. I can seriously just put Shyla in her crate at bedtime, and she lies down immediately, no fussing or whining. Most nights she sleeps through to 7pm, but sometimes I have to get up at 3 or 4am cos she wants a drink or needs to pee.

There may be a mistake on the first night cos pup is nervous/in a new home. My girl DID pee on her blanket in the crate on the first night, but I may have partly slept through her whining, or I was too slow to get up, cos she was doing it as I crawled out of bed LOL. Hasen't happened since tho!

What great advice Shell, you are learning very quickly :rofl: Your girl sounds like a dream puppy!!!:laugh: she is just gorgeous in your siggie!!!!

Thankyou pockets!! :love: She is a dream...except when she's hyper when we get home from work, and when she's hyper she nips at our ankles and hands and arms :) But otherwise she is good!

All 3 of our dogs are crate trained and the 3 of them sleep in the 48 inch all together all night long.

I was just reading an article about crate training and i was wondering what peoples thoughts are on too long in the crate. Overnight they are asleep all night but what about during the day whilst at work?

Our dogs are aged 12 weeks, 22 weeks and 2 years.

Depends how long you work for.. if you were at work for 2 hours, perhaps... 8-9 hours, no way. It's just not fair after spending the whole night in one and then the whole day again. I've never left Halle alone at home alone in the crate- she just goes outside- toys, space and kennel are there for her. I've only ever crated her during the day on and off in the following 24 hours after her being desexed.

I think overnight is fine obviously, but personally, during the day, I wouldn't crate for more than 1-2 hours.

All 3 of our dogs are crate trained and the 3 of them sleep in the 48 inch all together all night long.

I was just reading an article about crate training and i was wondering what peoples thoughts are on too long in the crate. Overnight they are asleep all night but what about during the day whilst at work?

Our dogs are aged 12 weeks, 22 weeks and 2 years.

My dogs are crated overnight from about 11pm to 7am, usually less then 8 hours. If I go out at night I also crate them, but I'm not usually gone for longer than 4 hours. I wouldn't keep any dog crated during the day as well as at night.

What great advice Shell, you are learning very quickly :) Your girl sounds like a dream puppy!!!:p she is just gorgeous in your siggie!!!!

Thankyou pockets!! :( She is a dream...except when she's hyper when we get home from work, and when she's hyper she nips at our ankles and hands and arms :love: But otherwise she is good!

:) Nothing compares to nip training a ferret though Shelle, so if you can do that you can do this! :laugh:

I also recommend crate training! Fletcher loves his crate, trots in there at night and curls up ready for sleepy time. In the middle of the night, sometime he makes little noises, but he just wants to make sure i'm there, i stick my hand through the crate, he rubs his cheeks on my hand then curls right back up to sleep again. They definitely let you know when they're desperate to go though!!

I didn't have a proper crate for Hugo from day one - just a box with an open top.. he was *terrible* and sleeps in the bed now. i think you need to be persistent... but i'm not sure if i could have ever crated Hugo, he screamed all night till i put him in bed, Fletcher never did that, not even on night one.