Getting New Puppy :)

Xaiver III

Hey Everyone,

Well in approximately 3-4 weeks I'm getting my first ever puppy (miniature poodle). I've been reading around and I definitely realized that there are some very intelligent people on this site. I'm hoping that you guys and girls can help me with a few questions.

1) When I first thought of getting a puppy, I was hesitant because my parents have work and I of course have school. After much talk with the breeder and a family friend (who is also a vet), I realized that if I keep the puppy outside in a enclosed area with lots of toys and of course water and a bed, then the puppy would be ok until I return from school.

If I do this, I'm just wondering if I should put a crate (with his bed inside) with an open door in the enclosed area, or whether I should just put his bed there?

Is it safe to leave the pup alone outside?

2) Speaking of the crate, the breeder said that at night I should just put the puppy in the laundry with his bed and put newspaper on the floor. I'm bit worried because I thought crate training was the best option for toilet training a dog? If I stayed with this plan (without the crate) and take him outside to the same spot every time he finishes eating and in the morning, would the puppy soon be toilet trained?

If I decide to pick the crate training way, should I leave the door open (of the crate) and let him poo/wee outside the crate, or should I just let the pup cry out and then take him outside so he can go to the toilet?

Oh, what does crate training teach the dog? I know it toilet trains the pup, but how?

3) When I asked about the pedigree papers, the breeder said that it will cost a few more hundred dollars to get them, but he said that it is only needed if you want to breed the dog. He already let me see the parent's pedigree certificates and showed me the certificates staying that the pups would be free of any eye problems, but I'm wondering do I get any other paper that certifies that the pup is a purebred or any certificate sating that I'm the new owner?

Finally, do you have any tips or advice on leaving the pup home alone outside?

Thank you for all your help.

PS Sorry if there are any typing errors or anything that does not make sense, I'm very sleepy.

for the papers you can get limited register papers - you cannot breed or show but it is proof of pedigree

if there is no one home during the day a tiny puppy like a mini poodle cannot hang on that long in a crate. You can have a litter box, shallow, with paper based litter (nothing clay or crystal) wipe up a little urine and put that in the litter box. Then teach the pup that is where it has to go (not newspaper) and hence during the day the pup has a place to go.

The crate is a place to sleep and a discouragement from wandering around to pee/poo around the house BUT it will need to be let out at night. Its bladder is tiny so when it whines at night take it out for a wee, BUT dont play with it or make a fuss unless it goes toilet - if you do the pup might learn to whine for attention and never stop!

If you are away about what, 7-8 hours your puppy will need a midday meal. Is there someone who can feed it at lunch time? You may have to leave a little bowl of dry food out for the pup. Do not change the pups diet quickly either, give it a week or so to settle then another week to gradually change the food. Oh and try and avoid canned food its really not worth the money. A good quality dry food and then some fresh meaty bones like a bashed chicken neck (supervised) is much much healthier long term. Dont leave fresh bones out for long in the heat they can spoil, let the pup play for an hour or two then throw out what is left over.

Honestly a pup that small I woudlnt leave outside alone. It is so tiny, susceptable to the weather and easily stolen. Try the litter training :cool:

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks Nekhbet for replying :cry:

As to the midday food, I was a bit worried because I thought the puppy had to eat three times a day aswell, but the breeder said that two would be sufficient :) The breeder also gave a diet sheet saying that I should feed the pup porridge/wheetbix with puppy milk for the first 3/6 weeks and also give dry biscuits, raw chicken necks, meaty bones and raw meat like beef and to stay away from low end dog food brands. But she also said that I can feed him peggree puppy food. I don't really want to feed the pup pedigree dog food because I heard it isn't a good brand.

Yeah, I agree with you on not leaving the puppy outside alone, especially now that winter is coming and the fact that someone might steal the pup, but I dont want the puppy to get to congested inside. The breeder also said that the puppy will be ok outside. BUT I do have a doggy door in our laundry. Would I be able to close the laundry room door and fence off a bit on the outside so the puppy can come inside when he wants to and outside when he wants to? I could also keep his bed and water & food bowl inside so he can sleep inside.

Also thanks luvsdogs for the link. I was looking for a good puppy caring guide :rofl:

In my opinion no pup/dog should be fed wheetbix and milk is not at all necessary. I would find out what dry food the breeder is feeding and buy that initially then once pup has settled a bit, start to change over slowly to a better quality food. The chicken necks are an excellent addition to puppy's diet. They can be cut up or bashed to make them easier for puppy if necessary - you want to avoid him scoffing them whole if he has a tendancy to do so. 3 meals a day are preferable, so a good breakfast before school, lunch as soon as you get home and dinner later in the evening will be fine. If puppy is off his food for the first few days, that can be normal, so do not cave in and feed whatever it wants, as this will create a fussy eater. Just keep offering the food you want him to eat at schedule mealtimes, and remove it after 5 minutes if he does not eat it. He will soon learn to eat when and what is offered.

Some people use crates, others use a laundry/small secure area. The idea is that puppy would prefer not to soil his own sleeping/eating area so will learn sooner to hold on. The newspaper is a place where he is allowed to go if he cannot hold on, until he has better control. I would not recommend leaving puppy outside alone initially as he get get into too much trouble while unsupervised. He would be much safer in his secure area whenever you are not able to watch him.

Regarding papers, some states have differing rules, but as far as I am aware all pups from registered breeders must have papers, be they limited or main register. Perhaps you should contact your states canine association and check up on that - you will find contact numbers here: http://www.ankc.org.au/home/inner.asp?pageID=10&mainID=0

Congratulations on getting a Miniature Poodle - just wonderful dogs. I have two black minis. :laugh:

Puppy should be fine in a run with good shelter during the day. Bear in mind that in Perth summers, you will need to ensure the run has good shade to keep him/her cool.

I agree that the Dogstardaily website has lots of great information on puppy raising and that no dog needs wheatbix.

Is your puppy going to be allowed inside? Crate training won't work for toilet training if you can't hear your puppy stir in the middle of the night and take him/her outside.

You may wish to post in the Poodle tread in the breed sub-forum. Lots of good advice to be gained there.

Edited by poodlefan

3) When I asked about the pedigree papers, the breeder said that it will cost a few more hundred dollars to get them, but he said that it is only needed if you want to breed the dog. He already let me see the parent's pedigree certificates and showed me the certificates staying that the pups would be free of any eye problems, but I'm wondering do I get any other paper that certifies that the pup is a purebred or any certificate sating that I'm the new owner?

It would cost the breeder around $26 to obtain papers for your puppy.

here's a recent thread from the breeders forum on that very topic

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=166701

Personally i'd walk away from any breeder who does not provide you with limit register papers for your puppy, regarldess of the CC requirements

Edited by PPS

When I asked about the pedigree papers, the breeder said that it will cost a few more hundred dollars to get them, but he said that it is only needed if you want to breed the dog. He already let me see the parent's pedigree certificates and showed me the certificates staying that the pups would be free of any eye problems, but I'm wondering do I get any other paper that certifies that the pup is a purebred or any certificate sating that I'm the new owner?

Your pup, whether a pet or show dog, must have his own registered pedigree. The breeder has to transfer ownership of the pup to you when she sells it, and your name will be on the pup's pedigree as his rightful owner.

If the breeder is registered and is registering the litter with the state canine council (which is part of the normal process), it will cost HER more money, not you, so it appears the breeder is cutting corners and trying to bluff you.

Make sure you ask if she is a registered breeder, and if the pups are registered.

Thank you all for replying. I'm getting a bit worried now that I realise that I should get some type of cirtificate stating that I am the owner of the puppy :confused:

Since I'm not committed to the breeder yet, does anyone have any recommendations on a miniature poodle breeder here in Perth?

Firstly, find a breeder who will provide you with limited registration papers for your puppy. If not, walk away.

Feed the puppy 3 meals a day- in the morning when it wakes, as soon as you arrive home from school, and later in the evening before bed. (ie, 7am/4pm/10pm)

Confine the puppy in a puppy pen inside the house during the day while you are at school with it's water bowl, bed, toys and a puppy pad or appropriate toilet area. (This is your 'long-term' confinement area) You can let the puppy outside for supervised play when you get home in the afternoons and on weekends.

(I would not be having a miniature poodle puppy outside alone unless you have a secure enclosed dog run, and even then not in winter or hot weather)

Buy a crate for toilet traing, put it next to your bed and let the puppy sleep in there at night. If the puppy cries during the night (which it will) you can get up and take it outside to the toilet without delay. (This is your 'short-term' confinement area)

If you download the 'Before and After you get your puppy' books from Dogstardaily they will explain all about long and short term confinement and crate training :cry:

ETA: Try this link for WA breeders http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breede...A&Submit=Go

Edited by SecretKei

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that a litter is registered with the state body be it main register of limited register. When selling a puppy the breeder gives you the forms to send in to the state body, you pay the appropriate fee & get the pup's pedigree papers in your name.

All puppies should be registered and be either Limited or main. Quite a few years ago some breeders would only rego what they wanted shown/bred from. That is why the limited register was used so that all puppies would be registered and only those considered of suitable quality be able to be shown/bred from.

As stated it only costs a small amount for the breeder to transfer the papers. I think in WA it is the breeder that has to do it, I know other states are different.

I would also be vary wary about someone charging an extra $200 for papers, a piece of paper doesn't atomatically make a dog good enough quality to show or breed from.

I would be wary of someone selling a puppy without papers if they are a registered breeder.

Good luck

ETA - one of my pet hates is the weetbix and milk for puppies! Kids yes, pupppies NO

And definately at least 3 meals a day.

If possible access between the laundry and a small area outside would be the best. Bunnings have wire compost bin panels that many people on here have made puppy pens from

Edited by rommimum

I agree that Weetbix is great for my four year old son, but not so great for my 11 week old Beagle! Try a really good quality dry dog food and plenty of water instead. I have also found that the premium quality dry dog food tends to give less messy poo! Always a good thing! Good luck!