Meaning Of The Term 'condition'?

Hi,

Could someone explain exactly what is meant by a dogs 'condition'? I have seen this term used a lot in the dry food posts. Is this just referring to their weight or something more?

I have recently switched my dogs to eagle pack and wondered what I should look for in terms of the effects of the new food on their condition.

Thanks for enlightening a newbie on the jargon :rofl:

Yes I agree the whole picture. To me a dog is not in good condition if it has a shiney coat but is underweight, or has good weigh/body cover but lacking muscle and/or fitness. It is definately the total package for me.

Ok, great. Thanks to all.

How do you tell if their muscle mass is what it should be?

And can every dog have a shiny coat or does it depend on the breed? I have mostly been around poodles and while they havent been show poodles I havent seen a poodle with a shiny coat. I have noticed on DOL'ers signature pics the dogs with the shiniest coast are short-haired generally.

I guess the wool type coats would be less likely to be shiney like a shorter coat, but Collies, Flat coats, setters etc have shiney coats. I suppose it come down to the composition of the hair itself. For me I like nice firm muscles with good definition (Easy to see but you can also feel it under coat) I refer to them as hard muscle, not soft muscle. I can't really put it properly into words though!

i use 'condition' when talking about helth, eg my dog is in great condition

but you may also here people saying there conditiong there dog,

thats when they are getting there dog in shape for personal reasons or a sport mabey

With setters the English & red/whites arent what i call shiney in comparison to the Gordon & Irish.All 4 have different coat textures.

A flat coat is shinier than all of them.

For me condition means the over all package & diet plays a small part .