Schnauzer Grooming Equipment

Hi

I am just preparing from the grooming task ahead as I will soon be bringing a mini schnauzer home. I don't intend to show, just like to be able to do a good schnauzer clip. Went to the schnauzer club fun day and got heaps of tips and the task at hand looks manageable. I have read the posts in this forum and have nailed down to two clippers - Wahl km2 or the Andis AGC 2/Super 2. Alot of people like the wahl but it appears that the wahl breaks down easily. Should I invest a bit more and get the Andis (or would that also break down as easily?)

Oh and by the way, I remember Settlvr mentioned I don't need 2 speed... in what context do you need a 2 speed clipper?

Secondly, I forgot to ask about scissors at the grommer stand so am clueless about what to get here - silly me :) . How many inches should I be looking at? What is the difference between a normal pair of scissors compared to a groomer's pair (besides the price :thumbsup: ). I read a few posts about scissors and alot of people recommend to get something you are comfortable holding... there are not much stores around that sell pet grooming scissors so not sure how to check how it feels holding one... I could try holding scissors that hairdressers use, are they the same?

Also, I read a few post about clipperworld and that they advertise on DOL and are on ebay, but i can't seem to find their ebay store or advertisement here.

Thanks

Edited by giraffez

Hi

I am just preparing from the grooming task ahead as I will soon be bringing a mini schnauzer home. I don't intend to show, just like to be able to do a good schnauzer clip. Went to the schnauzer club fun day and got heaps of tips and the task at hand looks manageable. I have read the posts in this forum and have nailed down to two clippers - Wahl km2 or the Andis AGC 2/Super 2. Alot of people like the wahl but it appears that the wahl breaks down easily. Should I invest a bit more and get the Andis (or would that also break down as easily?)

Oh and by the way, I remember Settlvr mentioned I don't need 2 speed... in what context do you need a 2 speed clipper?

Secondly, I forgot to ask about scissors at the grommer stand so am clueless about what to get here - silly me :eek: . How many inches should I be looking at? What is the difference between a normal pair of scissors compared to a groomer's pair (besides the price :confused: ). I read a few posts about scissors and alot of people recommend to get something you are comfortable holding... there are not much stores around that sell pet grooming scissors so not sure how to check how it feels holding one... I could try holding scissors that hairdressers use, are they the same?

Also, I read a few post about clipperworld and that they advertise on DOL and are on ebay, but i can't seem to find their ebay store or advertisement here.

Thanks

To find the link: go to the banner ad at the top of the page and click on "View All Advertisers". All DOL advertisers are displayed.

Personally i love the Wahl Switchblade clippers, but you can have some trouble with the chords, but if you're not using them that often then you should be fine! they are a variable speed clipper, and are called a switchblade due to the fact you can change the tongue yourself! If you are wanting something simpler, i would recommend the wahl km2. again, if not using them too often they will last you ages without too much trouble, providing you clean them properly and take care of them. (as with any clipper). Personally i wouldnt recommend any Andis clippers, as they are very slow and have a tendency to break/fault quite easily.

The difference between normal scissors and grooming scissors, is the grooming scissors are designed to cut dog hair with good precision, sharpness and durability. Also, the holes for your fingers are completely different! they are small so that you can fit the tip of your thumb and your other finger (one next to pinky) in each hole. its important you do only use these 2 fingers for cutting (your thumb should do all the movement). the other fingers are for balance. if you use your index finger you can damage your hand and wrist and end up with carpal tunnel. I would suggest for a beginner perhaps trying the Wahl scissors. they are reasonably cheap and do the job fine, especially if not grooming too often!

Without knowing how long you will be wanting to grow your schnauzer, a #7f for the body (or #10), #10 for the groin area and ears, and #15 or #30 for pads will be the main blades you need. these can also be quite expensive.

I think Clipperworld will be your cheapest bet for everything!!

I hope this helps!

Good luck!! :rofl: :rofl:

Hi Giraffez,

I would recommend getting either the breeder or a professional groomer to do the first few clips and then you can follow their lines. They can teach your puppy to "stand and stay" on the table. A good first grooming experience is very important for the puppy.

I use Andis AGC professional 2 speed and love them. They are very quiet and not heavy. Good idea to go and test out the clippers and the feel of scissors rather than buy on the net. Challenge Dog Supplies at Brookvale will have everything you need.

I use Jaguar and Wahl scissors, and Roseline thinning shears. You will also need a sturdy grooming table with rubber matting so that the puppy does not slip. I use 7F (in winter) and 10 blades with ceramic topcutters.

Hi Giraffez,

I would recommend getting either the breeder or a professional groomer to do the first few clips and then you can follow their lines. They can teach your puppy to "stand and stay" on the table. A good first grooming experience is very important for the puppy.

I use Andis AGC professional 2 speed and love them. They are very quiet and not heavy. Good idea to go and test out the clippers and the feel of scissors rather than buy on the net. Challenge Dog Supplies at Brookvale will have everything you need.

I use Jaguar and Wahl scissors, and Roseline thinning shears. You will also need a sturdy grooming table with rubber matting so that the puppy does not slip. I use 7F (in winter) and 10 blades with ceramic topcutters.

HI Schnauzer.

How many inches for the scissors should I be looking at?

Are there any other grooming supplies shops besides the one in Brookvale you can recommend? I notice they only open during the week and close at 4pm which can be difficult to get to.

Hi Giraffez,

HI Schnauzer.

How many inches for the scissors should I be looking at?

Are there any other grooming supplies shops besides the one in Brookvale you can recommend? I notice they only open during the week and close at 4pm which can be difficult to get to.

Personally I use Jaguar 7 and smaller wahl scissors. It depends on what suits you and the feel of the scissors. You should be able to buy Andis clippers at a good pet store but prices can vary quite a lot, so shop around. I have bought scissors/show trolley from Petcetera who also deliver by courier. :rofl:

Giraffez, I'm not sure where you are but I am in Terrey Hills. If you like I can let you know when I next have a Schnauzer in and you can come and watch if that helps you at all.

Just PM me.

The difference between normal scissors and grooming scissors, is the grooming scissors are designed to cut dog hair with good precision, sharpness and durability. Also, the holes for your fingers are completely different! they are small so that you can fit the tip of your thumb and your other finger (one next to pinky) in each hole. its important you do only use these 2 fingers for cutting (your thumb should do all the movement). the other fingers are for balance. if you use your index finger you can damage your hand and wrist and end up with carpal tunnel. I would suggest for a beginner perhaps trying the Wahl scissors. they are reasonably cheap and do the job fine, especially if not grooming too often!

I still don't see the difference between a normal pair of scissors compared to grooming scissors. What is good precision?? isn't take measured on how steady you hand is rather than the scissors. I am willing to spend on a pair of grooming scissors however I'm not sure I see the benefit to justify the cost. A normal pair of good scissors costs less than $10.... why do I need to pay 10 times that amount?

Grooming scissors are much sharper then the average pair of scissors. Proper ones (not the cheapo pet shop type) will keep a sharp edge for a long time. Blunt scissors will just trap and fold the hair over the blade instead of cutting it, cheapy scissors tend to not cut well and give a choppy look to the trim.

I use straight scissors Roseline 7inch for legs

double sided thinners for blending

roseline 5 inch scissors for trimming the feet ( saves blunting the good pair!) and for between the eye brows.

curved scissors for shaping feet and legs and forechest - though not really necessary, they do make the job easier.

combination comb (mine has extra deep teeth to get into the coat better to lift it up for scissoring)

clippers, I use my trusty Oster A5 single speed. Blades 7f for body (not the 7 which gives a choppy clip) and a 10 or 15 for the ears (depending how thick the hair is)

Also forceps for pulling out the ear hair + ear powder

nail clippers and/or dremmel

grooming table + stand/noose

hairdryer

shampoo and conditioner - you must only clip a clean and dry dog or the scissors and blades won't last as long

Do you have any dog shows near where you live? Trade stands should be selling grooming equipment and you can go and hold various types of scissors and feel which make is balanced in your hand and comfortable (eg for me the japanese scissors are not good as the finger holes are to small, the roselines have bigger finger holes but I also need inserts to keep them steady when being used)

Grooming scissors are much sharper then the average pair of scissors. Proper ones (not the cheapo pet shop type) will keep a sharp edge for a long time. Blunt scissors will just trap and fold the hair over the blade instead of cutting it, cheapy scissors tend to not cut well and give a choppy look to the trim.

I use straight scissors Roseline 7inch for legs

double sided thinners for blending

roseline 5 inch scissors for trimming the feet ( saves blunting the good pair!) and for between the eye brows.

curved scissors for shaping feet and legs and forechest - though not really necessary, they do make the job easier.

combination comb (mine has extra deep teeth to get into the coat better to lift it up for scissoring)

clippers, I use my trusty Oster A5 single speed. Blades 7f for body (not the 7 which gives a choppy clip) and a 10 or 15 for the ears (depending how thick the hair is)

Also forceps for pulling out the ear hair + ear powder

nail clippers and/or dremmel

grooming table + stand/noose

hairdryer

shampoo and conditioner - you must only clip a clean and dry dog or the scissors and blades won't last as long

Do you have any dog shows near where you live? Trade stands should be selling grooming equipment and you can go and hold various types of scissors and feel which make is balanced in your hand and comfortable (eg for me the japanese scissors are not good as the finger holes are to small, the roselines have bigger finger holes but I also need inserts to keep them steady when being used)

Thanks Beck, I'll find out about the dog shows but at the recent pet fun day, I didn't see any grooming equipment for sale. There isn't many pet superstores in Sydney either. Its kind of ashame cos there are so many pet lovers here and so hard to find a good variety pet superstore (like petco in the states). I guess its good for the wallet :(

If i was to get one blade to start off with, is it advisable to get the #10 for the clippers or the 7f? I think at the pet fun day, all the groomers were using one single blade for the entire dog (i think they were using the #10).

The 10 will give a very tight clip, not something I would use on a dogs body unless the coat was matted, the 7f does a much nicer length. I just use the 10 for ears, bottoms and belly. When you buy clippers, you usually get a 10 blade for free, so you may as well get the 7f as well.

Get the best scissors you can afford, you will be using them for many, many years and good quality scissors last better, work better and are far easier to use. Cheap scissors are a complete waste of money.