Mess-free Edible Chew Toys?

snuffysmum

Hi everyone!! I am a newbie here so please forgive me if this question is posted elsewhere. I have an adorable 11 week old Beagle that is going through the fun chewing stage...sigh... I have bought her tonnes of pigs ears that she really loves, but am looking for other ideas for a chewable alternative to add some variety. I have Kongs, rope toys, rubber chickens (hilarious to watch) but she loooooves those pigs ears! I like to give these to her on her inside mat while we watch TV so I was hoping for an edible mess free alternative. Is there any such thing? She is not too keen on Kongs, nylabones etc.

thanks so much!

I have heard the pigs ears are not good for dogs as they can contain preservatives etc, and who knows whats in them! One every so often might not be bad, but at the rate your beagle was going through them, I would definately find another alternative! Also raw hide chews are bad.. so don't bother with those!

Have u tried filling your kong with tasty things to promote chewing on the kong? I put peanut butter and treats inside my kongs. You can also freeze goodies inside the kong and put the whole kong in the freezer, so that its nice and cold the next day, the cold rubbery kong will ease pups sore gums, especially if its teething. My girl finds the kong boring unless it has food in it, but since making it a 'food toy' she has a go at it if I roll it near her, 'incase' theres bits inside she has missed :wave:

I just gave my girl a nylabone tonight to try, and she spent half an hour chewing it! It says 'chicken flavour' which is weird as its plastic lol, but she definately loved it and gnawed and gnawed. I think I'll chuck that in the freezer too and give it to her tomorrow before work so its nice and soothing on her gums and keeps her entertained for a bit.

I know what u mean about the chewing stage though, whew!! She seems especially chewy at night, which is good because I can help her find 'ok' things to chew on, whereas if she had a chew attack during the day when home alone, she could chew on not so ok things.. haha.

Edited by Shellectra

It doesn't have to be edible for them to enjoy chewing it.

I was having the same problem, as I don't feel happy about feeding piggy ears every day as they are 100% fat.

I also feed raw chicken necks but they have to have a special place to chew them, not something I want in the loungeroom!! :wave:

I have just bought a heap of hard rubber chew toys for my lot and they are from the Busy Buddy range from USA.

One is called the 'Chuckle' as it makes a noise when shaken and you can also put dry dogfood inside each end if you want (I didn't) - this is the favourite, but the hard rubber chew bones are also popular. They are very sturdy toys!

The thing with these I have found is it is way better to buy 'good' ones, not the cheapies in the discount stores which only last 5 minutes and who knows what they are made of!

Forgot to say that my lot don't particularly like Kongs - I have a collection of them, and they don't hold their interest even if they have peanut butter inside them. I know every dog will be different but I have 5 that all feel the same way!

Edited by STITCH

Thanks for that advice! I will try some of the brands of chew toys that you mentioned, and add peanut butter to my Kong to see if that grabs her interest for more than 5 seconds! I will ask my vet about the pigs ears when she goes to her next vaccination as he sells them so they can't be bad for her. Not sure that she should eat one a day though - she might turn into a porker :rofl:

thanks everyone!

i'm planning to buy a kong for my little boy but he is only a puppy. I know there are 2 versions of kongs... the green one and the red one. the green one is supposedly for puppies... do i need a green one or will he be fine on the red one?

Interesting that people think pigs ears are full of fat. I spoke to my vet about this topic this morning and he told me a pigs ear is really just a big piece of cartilage, not fat, and that's why when it is dried it makes such a good chewable item for dogs. As for preservatives, the kind my vet supplies doesn't have much of anything else in it but the dried pigs ear. So I am relieved about that, because Snuffy has eaten about 1 a day for the last 3 weeks and she is definately not fat!

I will try some raw veggies and a lamb bone tonight and see what she thinks.

Thanks again.

We use these...

Porkettes

They look great! Have just ordered some! Will add it to the list! I think I have lots to choose from now so Snuffy will be excited!

I love these and give my dogs this same brand but they are half trotters so last longer.... only one a week though.

Interesting that people think pigs ears are full of fat. I spoke to my vet about this topic this morning and he told me a pigs ear is really just a big piece of cartilage, not fat, and that's why when it is dried it makes such a good chewable item for dogs.

Many dogs can not tollerate pigs ears because they are full of fat. After eating them they will throw up bile because of the fat.

When pigs ears become soft they become great things to choke a puppy or dog with. Be careful with them if you do choose to feed them.

i'm planning to buy a kong for my little boy but he is only a puppy. I know there are 2 versions of kongs... the green one and the red one. the green one is supposedly for puppies... do i need a green one or will he be fine on the red one?

There are also little pink and blue ones just for babies.

U could also try Greenies or the cheaper versions. They come in appropriate sizes depending on your dog/puppy. They don't make a huge mess and are good for their teeth and gums.

Edited by Ams

• 4 weeks later...
We use these...

Porkettes

They look great! Have just ordered some! Will add it to the list! I think I have lots to choose from now so Snuffy will be excited!

We have a beagle too and she loves anything smoked. Treats to chew on are only worth her attention if she gets something out of them. She also has little dog syndrome so she loves big things that fill her mouth - we have found that smoked pig trotters are her favourite and have a 100% success rate in pacifying her.

I would also love to find her other treats to chew on too so that she can have some variety but no idea. She seems to bore of pigs ears quickly.

Oh actually, she has become quite fond of squeaky toys. Which is nice because I always know where she is (generally by my feet) if there is a squeaky toy.

Let me know how you go with the treats.

I think pigs ears everyday is definitely not healthy.

What happened to healthy and natural dog chews like raw meaty bones: roo tail, lamb neck, brisket bones?!?!!

I don't understand why do people feel the need to feed their dogs preserved, unhealthy, quite expensive might one add, treats when you can just go to your local butcher and find so many more healthy and natural alternatives.

What happened to healthy and natural dog chews like raw meaty bones: roo tail, lamb neck, brisket bones?!?!!

The above is a good chew item for occupying the dog and for keeping teeth clean but not something for inside. For inside chewing I have to go for very heavy duty stuff as I have two toy-destroyers. Nylabones and solid rubber toys like this or this.

ETA: Not edible in the way food is but I can't think of much that is food but clean enough to be eaten on your carpet.

Edited by molasseslass

The above is a good chew item for occupying the dog and for keeping teeth clean but not something for inside. For inside chewing I have to go for very heavy duty stuff as I have two toy-destroyers. Nylabones and solid rubber toys like this or this.

ETA: Not edible in the way food is but I can't think of much that is food but clean enough to be eaten on your carpet.

Hmm good point ML although I just put them in their crates inside when I give them raw meaty bones. Once they are done they just lie on their beds and are very content :cry:

I think pigs ears everyday is definitely not healthy.

I don't understand why do people feel the need to feed their dogs preserved, unhealthy, quite expensive might one add, treats when you can just go to your local butcher and find so many more healthy and natural alternatives.

:cry:

And I do the same - mine eat their bones inside their crates.

My dogs seldom get pigs ears. In fact I buy them in bulk of around 50, but that will last 3 dogs well over a year :)

As for chews, with my 12 week old puppy she has a variety of raw meaty bones and chew toys to keep her amused.

If they are teething, how about soaking some knotted towels (old ones) in chicken stock, freezing them and then giving them to your puppy to chew. the cool will help soothe the gums too.

Same with the nylabone and kong - soak them in chick stock to make them 'tastier' or smear vegemite/ peanut butter/ yoghurt in them. Remember to make it nice and easy to begin with. Mine love a yoghurt/ sardine mix (makes me :) but they love it!!! LOL!)

How about getting some old cereal boxes and putting some dry food or some bones in there and letting the pup rip that up to get their 'treasure' out. great mental stimulation and a good exercise for the gums too.

Meaty bones frozen also leave less mess and help soothe a puppys gums :)