Been To The Vets

Just took my two dogs in for their checkups. I have a few questions I forgot to ask the vet.

Kennel Cough Vaccine. Is it worth getting or not? What risks are involved?

Heartworm prevention. Is Adelaide a high heartworm risk area? What risks are involved? Is it worth getting or not? What brands are recommended?

The vet also found a mammary lump on Peggie. Should I be worried? Should I get it removed now or later? What is an approximate price to have it removed?

Ok can kinda answer two of your questions

1) you can get just a KC vaccine which is taken up the nose I understand

&

2) heartworm is transmitted by mozzies, so I guess if you don't have mozzies you could possibly take the risk of not covering for it but treatments such as the Spectrum range (Interceptor and Sentinel) cover against heartworm as does Advocate and heartgard. Yrly heartworm injections I understand are not really recommended.

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

1. I don't vaccinate against canine cough, I don't think there are any risks involved, but there are many different viruses and the vacc only covers a few. I just don't think it's worth it and the only time I did get a C5 both puppies contracted CC a few months later and one of them was quite sick.

2. I don't know if Adelaide is a heartworm area, but if it isn't I wouldn't bother with heartworm prevention.

3. Get the lump removed immediately.

I only get the Canine Cough vaccination because my dogs come to work, they have to have it to be allowed on site. If they ever stop coming, they will not be vaccinated for it, Kaos gets it every year anyways...

Heartworm - that is a hard one, i have had most vets in town tell me that we dont have it here, and didnt worm them for it. But thought i was better safe than sorry, after talking to someone i know whos dog got it.. so they are now on monthly tablets for it

lumps - i dont like lumps, i would get it removed

Do you vaccinate at all? Most people vaccinated with a C5 which includes KC. My experience is that dogs due or nearly due for their annual vaccination (including KC) actually got KC from an infected dog I had here. And those that had just had their annual vaccination a fe wonths beforehand had no symtoms at all.

I would have no idea about Adelaides heartworm rates. If you heartworm I would either do the once a day tablets, once a month tablet or once a month liquid that you squeeze onto the back of their necks. I personally do not like the injection that is yearly.

Did the vet do a fine needle biopsy to look at the cells in the lump? I would be rather worried about a lump. Is she desexed?

Did the vet do a fine needle biopsy to look at the cells in the lump? I would be rather worried about a lump. Is she desexed?

not yet. My partner and I have decided to have the lump removed asap. We are waiting back on a quote for the surgery-which we should get tomorrow.

She is not desexed as of yet and is currently coming into season :rofl: She will be desexed once her season is over.

I don't vaccinate against KC annually because there are so many strains, the vacc only covers 2. Also, kennel cough is not nearly as scary as Distemper, Hepatitis and Parvo and frankly i just don't see the point of it as i don't put my dogs in boarding kennels.

I don't believe Adelaide is a high risk area for heart worm, but either is Melbourne, but it's still possible, especially in swampy areas where there are lots of mozzies. I use Interceptor for heart worm and intestinal worms. Once a dog is infected by heart worm, it's pretty difficult to fix the problem, i just couldn't live with myself knowing that it is so easy to prevent.

Great idea to get that lump removed as you said you're organising. :scared:

0. Find a vet you can trust and ask lots of questions.

KC . .. if you put your dog in kennels, many require or recommend KC vaccination. I have had puppies GET kennel cough from the internasal spray, so I prefer the combined injection route.

heartworm . . . my vet says the monthlies, given every two months, are adequate. Easier than worrying about it. But ask your vet if he/she sees many heartworm cases. It will help you make the right decision.

Just took my two dogs in for their checkups. I have a few questions I forgot to ask the vet.

Kennel Cough Vaccine. Is it worth getting or not? What risks are involved?

Heartworm prevention. Is Adelaide a high heartworm risk area? What risks are involved? Is it worth getting or not? What brands are recommended?

The vet also found a mammary lump on Peggie. Should I be worried? Should I get it removed now or later? What is an approximate price to have it removed?

I am still unsure about vaccinating and the all the pros and cons... From what I know there are so many different strains of KC it may not be worth it... I think I am right in saying the C5 shot is for KC and Parvo (and others). Does anyone know if there is a shot JUST for parvo???... having recently been through KC with Chloe (first time :thumbsup: ) and it not being too bad i prob wouldnt vaccinate against KC... NO expert though :thumbsup:

I give my 2 advocate for the heartworm... get it from here really cheap http://www.pricelesspets.com.au/

What tests has the vet done on the lump? I would get the lump removed NOW. Chloe had a little cyst on her front leg and we got it removed as soon as we noticed it... not worth finding out it could be something else...

Edited by doggywoof

I am still unsure about vaccinating and the all the pros and cons... From what I know there are so many different strains of KC it may not be worth it... I think I am right in saying the C5 shot is for KC and Parvo (and others). Does anyone know if there is a shot JUST for parvo???... having recently been through KC with Chloe (first time :thumbsup: ) and it not being too bad i prob wouldnt vaccinate against KC... NO expert though :thumbsup:

I give my 2 advocate for the heartworm... get it from here really cheap http://www.pricelesspets.com.au/

What tests has the vet done on the lump? I would get the lump removed NOW. Chloe had a little cyst on her front leg and we got it removed as soon as we noticed it... not worth finding out it could be something else...

You can ask for C3 shot, which covers Parvo, Distemper and Hep A. Thats what I got for my dogs because I didnt want to vacc against KC.