Dog Walking Lifting Legs Funny And Hunched Up

Hi,

Just off the phone from the vets why do things happen out of hours on a weekend ggg

Anyway the dogs were barking so went to see what was happening and my girl dog couldn't walk properly she was lifting her legs kind of uncontrolled and was hunched up at first i thought broken back. She stumbled inside and i lay her in front of the fire she was shivering so put a blanket on her.

Within less than 5 minutes she stood up and is walking ok she still looking just not right you know how you know they aren't right.

I rang vet who told me to give her metacam and keep an eye on her ring and bring her in if she gets worse.

Shes now asleep next to the fire place shes not hunched up and looks ok while asleep but is really quiet and sooky when awake.

After our pup broke her leg playing with this girl i'm feeling rather deflated and wondering why do i have pets.....

Has anyone any ideas as to what it can be. I'm thinking either the other dog ran into her while playing and winded her or shes twisted and hurt her back.

So bloody typical of my luck after she had a nice day watching the kids playing sport today then a nice picnic lunch and now this....

She could have been t-boned and thus injuring her back somehow, especially if it was yel, then straight away she was limping etc. If she has she could have potentially ruptured a disk, if so it is an emergency. Keep her VERY quiet, toilet on lead only and NO playing. If you have slippery floor be very careful as well. Hoefully she has, and I say just!, but 'just' torn a muscle or pinched something. STill very painful but not quite so much of a drama. Good luck and I hope she is feeling better soon.

Oh and with the metacam she may feel better and want to do more but don't let her

She hasn't had tea yet we always feed them late. Last time she ate was her morning farrels biccie at 8am

There was no yell or scream from outside and since it was dark the only reason we went out was the other dogs were barking. She is still sore i can tell but at least shes walking ok she will sleep inside in a crate tonight .

i'm hoping shes just twisted and stretched the wrong thing.

What are you supposed to do never let them play in case they hurt themselves this is just way to stressful not much sleep going to happen here tonight i can tell.

She could have been t-boned and thus injuring her back somehow, especially if it was yel, then straight away she was limping etc. If she has she could have potentially ruptured a disk, if so it is an emergency. Keep her VERY quiet, toilet on lead only and NO playing. If you have slippery floor be very careful as well. Hoefully she has, and I say just!, but 'just' torn a muscle or pinched something. STill very painful but not quite so much of a drama. Good luck and I hope she is feeling better soon.

Oh and with the metacam she may feel better and want to do more but don't let her

FOrgot to say we have carpet on the floor and i can block the kitchen and bathrooms off but she'll go in the crate when we go to bed so she doesn't sneak onto my daughters bed and might hurt herself

i know this sounds odd but my cairn terrier was really ill one night. couldn't walk and collapsed when putting her back legs on the floor.

i took her to the vet and she had a really bad stomach ache. because she had back problems before i took her to the vet i thought it was her back.

vet gave her some pain pills and i watched what i fed her and she was better in a couple of days.

does your pup have a tight belly?

i know this sounds odd but my cairn terrier was really ill one night. couldn't walk and collapsed when putting her back legs on the floor.

i took her to the vet and she had a really bad stomach ache. because she had back problems before i took her to the vet i thought it was her back.

vet gave her some pain pills and i watched what i fed her and she was better in a couple of days.

does your pup have a tight belly?

No no tight belly just felt it feels fine i actually just ran my hands down her spine legs neck and no flinching i suppose the metacam would now be hiding but would i be right in thinking if it was really severe she would flinch if it was a ruptured disc?

Sorry about your poor girl :champagne: I'd get her to the vet as soon as you can. I agree with rommimum that there could be a possibility of a ruptured disc. I've been through that with my mini poodle, and I really hope that isn't the problem. Keep her as quiet as possible until you can get to the vet.

Yes, you're so right, these things invariably happen on a weekend, and usually after a busy day when all you want to do is curl up and rest :thumbsup: I've rarely had a dog get sick or hurt on a weekday :)

Hope she feels better soon. Can you let us know how she goes?

pinched nerve?

One of my boss's dog had that, he would be walking fine, turn the wrong way and it would floor him :thumbsup: Chiro fixed him up

I'm hoping it is this (probably sounds bad but not as bad as somethings i've been reading about) we have a really good chiro near us so will definately be ringing him monday 9am!!

No no tight belly just felt it feels fine i actually just ran my hands down her spine legs neck and no flinching i suppose the metacam would now be hiding but would i be right in thinking if it was really severe she would flinch if it was a ruptured disc?

Not neccessarily. I prodded and pressed Chester for 3 days before the damage became apparrent. Initially, the disc was damaged, but it actually rupured a few days later.

As you said, the metacam could be masking the pain too. Maybe don't give her any medication Sunday night so you can see how she really is on Monday.

Sorry about your poor girl :champagne: I'd get her to the vet as soon as you can. I agree with rommimum that there could be a possibility of a ruptured disc. I've been through that with my mini poodle, and I really hope that isn't the problem. Keep her as quiet as possible until you can get to the vet.

Yes, you're so right, these things invariably happen on a weekend, and usually after a busy day when all you want to do is curl up and rest :thumbsup: I've rarely had a dog get sick or hurt on a weekday :)

Hope she feels better soon. Can you let us know how she goes?

Will do i'll keep you posted thanks for listening to my concerns the metacam must be working as shes looking at the cat with interest half an hour ago she didn't even raise her head. I'm hoping she will be ok shes one of those accident prone dogs if she live to be 2 yrs old it will be a miracle i think!!

Not neccessarily. I prodded and pressed Chester for 3 days before the damage became apparrent. Initially, the disc was damaged, but it actually rupured a few days later.

As you said, the metacam could be masking the pain too. Maybe don't give her any medication Sunday night so you can see how she really is on Monday.

I was thinking that i wont give her nay on sunday night but if shes not good or hasn't improved much i'm taking her tommorrow to the vets glad Mr Rudd gave me that $900 a few weeks ago looks like i'll be stimulating the economy not what i planned but i'd rather get her checked if she hasn't improved otherwise i'll wait till monday

Todays update. I haven't given her any metacam and shes acting perfectly normal. I don't understand i'm still taking her to the vets tommorrow just in case and i'd like to have a chat about it. I let her off lead to go to the toilet and she was trotting around no pain if i hadn't seen her yesterday i would never have known so i'm wondering if its ever happened while i'm at work and is fine by the time we get home weird.....

Good to hear she is sounding much better, hope all is okay and she gets a clean bill of health from the vets :rofl:

After reading that someone suggested she might have been T Boned i'm now thinking that the other dog might have run into her and kind of winded her. I still have her inside crated until i can see the vet better to be safe than sorry i let her outside off lead this morning and she went around as though nothing was wrong looking for her play mates who were locked away so she couldn't play. Just a weird thing something i have never seen before but until the vet can check her over i'm not risking anything.

Hi,

Back from vets just haven't had a chance to reply. As she was not symptomatic it was near impossible for a diagnosis. Good and bad good that there is no permanent damge like disc or pinched nerves. Vet felt evey mm of her and no pain evident. Her only thought is that it might have been a seizure which had kind of shocked me something i hadn't even considered. Her reasoning for this is that she recoverd so quickly and no evident pain other than the hunching up. So we leave her and wait to see if it happens again shes been playing and running like normal with nothing happening so far. I'm to take her to the vet if it happens hopefully while she acting weird. But fingers crossed it wont happen again. She is a show dog and i was hoping to be able to breed my first litter early next year but if there is anything like this she will be in to be desexed straight away lets face it probably easier to buy my next dog just that i have shown and trained dogs dince 1988 but never had a litter oh well maybe not meant to be. Thanks for all the support if anything happens down the track i'll let you know.

P.S Vet didn't even charge me a consult fee yippeeee!!!!! Well she is my accident prone dog so i guess she knows i'll be back.