Smelly Farts

giraffez

I would definitely be looking at the food first. Once my dogs are on preservative-free foods they very rarely have wind. Is your puppy having milk? What are you feeding him at the moment?

no milk. Just California Natural. Will be switch him onto Artemis soon.

Transition him slowly over a week, even two. Just gradually reduce the amount of the old dry as you go. He's more likely to have a reaction if you swap from one to the other too quickly.

I'm running out of the old one, could i mix it with mince instead?

Or maybe with just brown rice since artemis is high in protein already

Edited by giraffez

Is he having mince already? You need to transition him with something his system is used to.

I probably wouldn't go with the rice, that may be part of the ... erm ... problem :provoke:

I got a sample pack of artemis which i did 1/2 and 1/2 with his current dog food for a day and he seem to do fine. He is not having mince at the moment... but sometimes i mix in some meat we use in creating soup broths.

My puppy farts an awful lot. Is this an indication that his dog food is not suitable? His poo is nice... not runny though.

:rolleyes:

I've found with my previous dog that anything with beef in caused him to have very smelly farts. Maybe just check his dry food.

You know what - I honestly think some dogs are just erm......farters! I own one at the moment, he's not over the top, has a perfect diet, but when he sits with his tail out....whammmoooo!

Our last GSD was one too - we got her from the pound and figure that we knew the reason she was handed it for adoption, god love her. She could clear a room....we tried everything!

Good luck giraffez with the Artemis - fantastic food IMO....

what diet did the breeder recommend???Are you feeding that or did you change it straight away??

Remember not all diets are suitable for all breeds

My pup came with Supercoat from the breeder. Even at that stage he was farting an awful lot and poo'ed a lot too! :laugh: I changed it to cal natural gradually.... he didn't have any problem adjusting... i completely switched it over by the fourth day.