Snappy!

Hi there,

I have a behavioural issue with my gorgeous German Shepherd, Falco.

He is 14 months old and a bit of a snappy boy when excited or playing... I was walking away from him the other day and heard 'clack', looked around to see him snapping at me in the air. He does not make contact, but more of a quick snap in the air.

He just did it then when I went to pat him, 'clack' in the air but then was fine being patted, ears back smiling away.

Is it just teenage behaviour? The Grotty Rotty does not do it, so he is not picking it up there.

Thanks.

This is so interesting and I will be really interested to read the replies as Ben my 4yo Gsd does this as well. Not so much when being patted but when he is smooching and cuddling licking my neck etc and then he will *clack* towards my face. It is really disconcerting but you are right in that it does not appear at all aggressive or as though he means to connect - but still the *clack* of a fully-grown GSD is not something you want to hear cms from your nose!!

My Malinois does it, it's an excited trait some shepherds have and can be rather disconcerting!

As long its just the air clack and not the nip/bite towards you I wouldnt worry about it. Grotty you got a working line sheppy dont you?

My boy is from strong working lines - do you think that has something to do with it? It is definitely not a nip or a bite but it is a little scary at times :laugh: Is there a way to train him to stop or is it just a *quirk* which will not escalate beyond what it is?

yup definately Brooke. Its more common then you think! My Malinois does it at my mum at times and the first time she shat herself that the dog was going to attack her ... she just wanted to play :) I told her be more afraid if the dog just stares you in the eyes with her ears stiff then the teeth clack.

You cant really make them stop its part of the dog, just ignore them when they do it and they'll learn it gets them nothing. That or enjoy the quirk as part of your dog, it does no harm and it doesnt excalate unless you start razzing him up or waving toys in front of him to get him to nip.

He is 14 months old and a bit of a snappy boy when excited or playing... I was walking away from him the other day and heard 'clack', looked around to see him snapping at me in the air. He does not make contact, but more of a quick snap in the air.

Hey Grotty, Do not worry, this is a trait that goes back multiple generations and it does not give any cause for concern, there is not a lot you can do about it, his G/ma Ana started at 3 months [her nick name was SNAP] there is no malice in it and it is just a quirk that some dogs do. His sister Lacey and his mum Brandi are lickers as well as the occasional clash of teeth in mid air and his G/dad Rikki is also known to have mid air snaps. So you can see a pattern here. If you need/want more info on this p.m. me and i'll give you a call.

You cant really make them stop its part of the dog, just ignore them when they do it and they'll learn it gets them nothing. That or enjoy the quirk as part of your dog, it does no harm and it doesnt excalate unless you start razzing him up or waving toys in front of him to get him to nip.

Nekhbet, you have hit the nail right on the head. Thank You.

Edited by Gipfel

thank you all and hiya Tony. Yes I have been trying to ignore it as he is so lovely and sweet so figured no malice. And no he is never encouraged, I will go back to him and work with him after the snapping has passed and I have walked away from him.

Good to know it is inherited, oh yes and he does the licking too, especially after a snap :shrug: the snappy clacky sheps...ahahahaha.

Anyway here is Mr Snappy Pants

IMG_4059.jpg

Edited by grotty_rotty

thank you all and hiya Tony. Yes I have been trying to ignore it as he is so lovely and sweet so figured no malice. And no he is never encouraged, I will go back to him and work with him after the snapping has passed and I have walked away from him.

Good to know it is inherited, oh yes and he does the licking too, especially after a snap :shrug: the snappy clacky sheps...ahahahaha.

Anyway here is Mr Snappy Pants

IMG_4059.jpg

Wow..he looks a LOT like his sister Lacey!

Could I add a question onto this topic?

My 2 year old GSD does the air snap thing as well, but she also does it to other dogs. Particuarly when she gets excited she will run past and air snap in their faces. She is not being aggressive, just excited.

Is this kind of the same thing you are talking about, or she being an abnoxious butt head like I always thought she was being?

Some dogs trigger off different things, but it sounds the same sort of behaviour. What can be different is when OCD comes into play and 'fly snapping' which is very common in Aussie sheps and border collies for some reason. In that case you can see the dog attempt to focus on an invisible fly and try to 'catch' it. This is a very different behaviour from the 'happy snappy' stuff that's happening here.

I equate it to my breeds ability to smile, which many that don't know, think is a snarl and are quick to label the dog as aggressive.

post-2225-1244334787_thumb.jpg

post-2225-1244334806_thumb.jpg

Angelsun - do you have a recent photo of Lacey? Falco got brains as well as looks :laugh:

Nekhbet - ohh my they do have similar heads... Krueger is stunning :cheer:

Kavik - thanks, I think he is pretty yummy myself.

Jeff Jones - he is wonderful to train too, keen and focused.

Angelsun - I love the photo of the smiles :) :rolleyes: