Burn Or Reaction To Injection?

Great to hear Moose is responding well to the treatment - sounds like Dermaclens does a similar thing to the Silvasine cream we used (both protects the new/raw wound areas, while assisting the necrotic skin to detach and slough away). In any case, a good result by the looks of things... :cooldance:

I'll have to post some updated photos of my girl's wound - it's amazing how quickly the skin is starting to regrow and knit back together. :cry:

Yes, definitely keep posting updates. It will be good to see how our furrkids burns progress.

My understanding (and I could be wrong!!) is that the Dermaclens is sort of acidic so it softens the necrotic tissue and helps promote regeneration of new tissue, whilst the Silvasine does something similar but is also antibacterial. I have been putting the Dermaclens on in the mornings and the Silvasine in the afternoons/evenings. Hope this double-whammy of creams does the trick!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dermacleans is brilliant for all sorts of things! I have used it mainly on horses in the past, haven't needed it on dogs thankfully. His wound is looking much nicer now with the scab coming off and looking nice and healthy. Hope he heals up nice and quickly for you now.

Greygirl, you girls burn is horrendous, your poor dog! I now have a Whippet and wouldn't have thought about the heat used until reading this. I now know having a thin skinned/coated breed it is even more of a risk.

Goodluck to all kids with these awful awful burns.

Just had a chat with his previous vet to explain why I was leaving to see another vet and she seemed pretty disappointed (me has guilt attack!! :cooldance: ). I think maybe she was upset that I didn't discuss it with her first but at the end of the day I need to do what I feel is best for my boy and see a vet that makes me feel confident as well. I wouldn't hesitate to continue taking Zoe to her for her health issues and she has been brilliant with that. Hope she doesn't take this situation out on her!

Dog I feel like poop!

That vet has an ego by the sounds of things.

Or perhaps is just embarrassed or upset with herself? I'd be disappointed if I lost a client like that too, not from ego, just annoyed with myself for making the mistake!

I do agree that you have nothing to be ashamed of, if you aren't comfortable with your current vet you should definitely move. It was actually a nice thing that you told her why you were changing vets IMO, as now she knows why she lost a client. :cry:

WARNING - icky photos ahead! :rofl:

I'll have to post some updated photos of my girl's wound - it's amazing how quickly the skin is starting to regrow and knit back together. :(

Yes, definitely keep posting updates. It will be good to see how our furrkids burns progress.

Greygirl, you girls burn is horrendous, your poor dog!

Don't want to gross anyone out, but I've attached a couple of photos showing how well the burn is granulating and healing - while it still looks for all the world like a great big wound, all the signs are actually really good. No infection, and lots of skin regrowing. Phew! (The discolouration is just from the creams being used - she's normally a very clean white dog! :laugh:)

post-30066-1246880577_thumb.jpgpost-30066-1246882457_thumb.jpg

She's being an absolute trooper about all of the bandage changes, not to mention the medications... although we suspect she may be developing an unhealthy love of the pain meds. :laugh: We've been advised that there should be enough surrounding skin to attempt some wound closure (stitching, under a local anaesthetic) in a week or so. Crossing fingers for that!

Looking good GreyGirl!! Moose's looks exactly the same as your girls now, all the dead tissue has come off and now he's left with the "strawberry jam" (as his vet calls it :laugh: ) looking wound. I am still amazed how well (and quickly!) the Dermaclens has worked. I spoke to the vet on the phone today (after emailing him a pic) just to clear a few things up about the cream regime and he was very happy with how it's looking. He said I would be surprised with how well it starts healing up now. I will post a pic tomorrow (he's all lathered in cream atm).

Let us know if your girls surgery goes ahead and how she goes. I'm hoping we can avoid this with Moose but it will be very interesting to see her progress. :(

PS. What's your girls name??? Can't believe I hadn't asked before, sorry. :rofl:

The little scab on Moose's secondary burn area has come off today and the skin is a little pink but looking good. Large burn area is looking pretty good as well. Getting there slowly but surely! :thumbsup:

Burn today...

post-27684-1246973452_thumb.jpg

Feeling sorry for oneself??? :)

post-27684-1246973582_thumb.jpg

The little scab on Moose's secondary burn area has come off today and the skin is a little pink but looking good. Large burn area is looking pretty good as well. Getting there slowly but surely! :rolleyes:

Burn today...

That is actually looking miles better than I remember it looking in the last photo you put up. Glad the wound is on its way to healing.

Edited by Erny

I'm so sorry for your dogs - both of you. :rolleyes:

I never used kettle water in hot water bottles ever, but we stopped using them all together when I went to a seminar by Charles Kuntz and he talked about how many reconstruction surgeries he does due to burns.

I am constantly nagging my boss for a Bair Hugger.....one day...I can dream. :laugh:

PS. What's your girls name??? Can't believe I hadn't asked before, sorry. :rofl:

Her name's Lacey - don't worry about not asking. :love: I hadn't really used her name much in posts - still feel kinda funny about going semi-public re. the burn injury, I suppose, given the vet circumstances surrounding it. :rofl:

The little scab on Moose's secondary burn area has come off today and the skin is a little pink but looking good. Large burn area is looking pretty good as well. Getting there slowly but surely! :love:

Burn today...

That looks great - well, you know, in a relative sense! (Funny how your perspective on 'looking good' changes when you're faced with these sorts of injuries! :laugh: Sounds like the vet has been really helpful re. the treatment regime.

And he does look *completely* sorry for himself in that photo... Lacey tends to get the same look on her face when the bucket goes on. Usually she just gets her revenge by rampaging through the house smacking into all available hard surfaces... :rolleyes:

Wow , that wound is really healing well moosepup

The photo of Moose tucked up in bed is priceless :hug:

Keep us up to date ... I have not had any experience with burns and dogs, but have with people ... It is a long road , but Moose looks to be doing great guns

The little scab on Moose's secondary burn area has come off today and the skin is a little pink but looking good. Large burn area is looking pretty good as well. Getting there slowly but surely! :(

Burn today...

Wow, what an improvement over the last photo you attached. It still has a long way to go I know, but compared to previous photos it is looking good now.

I have been through similar about 13 or 14 years ago. My boy was attacked by anotehr dog and got some flesh eating bug during the course of his treatment. What started as a small clean up an debride gradually turned into this enormous wound with necrotic tissue. It was over his hips, so a similar area to your boy and I still remember the joy of looking at a clean healthy wound after going through the awful necrotic stage and in our case multiplie operations to try and get back to healthy margins. My first tri back to obedience traning with him some 6 weeks later I remember being so pleased with how it was looking while others were saying "oh how awful". So I agree with GreyGirlQLD - it is all realtive, and your boy is looking good now.

Moose is looking great!

And even though Lacey still has a large would, it is all looking really healthy as well. Still gigantic though and to think a Hot water bottle is responsible! Never going to have one in my house again!

Her name's Lacey - don't worry about not asking. :idea: I hadn't really used her name much in posts - still feel kinda funny about going semi-public re. the burn injury, I suppose, given the vet circumstances surrounding it. :laugh:

That looks great - well, you know, in a relative sense! (Funny how your perspective on 'looking good' changes when you're faced with these sorts of injuries! :) Sounds like the vet has been really helpful re. the treatment regime.

And he does look *completely* sorry for himself in that photo... Lacey tends to get the same look on her face when the bucket goes on. Usually she just gets her revenge by rampaging through the house smacking into all available hard surfaces... :confused:

Lacey- such a gorgeous name!! :D :rofl:

Yes it is most definitely relative! The girls from work were saying just yesterday "Oh poor little man, that looks terrible!!" and I'm standing there going "What??? It looks awesome!!". :) Seriously though, I am so amazed how quickly it is healing now, the edges of the raw area are contracting more and more everyday. His hair is pretty slow to come back (on the shaved/non burnt areas) but I guess this will take some months yet. Can't wait till our kids are back intact!

I think Moose secretly loves his bucket (or helmet as my dad calls it, haha). He'll happily prance around wearing it.

I have been through similar about 13 or 14 years ago. My boy was attacked by anotehr dog and got some flesh eating bug during the course of his treatment. What started as a small clean up an debride gradually turned into this enormous wound with necrotic tissue. It was over his hips, so a similar area to your boy and I still remember the joy of looking at a clean healthy wound after going through the awful necrotic stage and in our case multiplie operations to try and get back to healthy margins. My first tri back to obedience traning with him some 6 weeks later I remember being so pleased with how it was looking while others were saying "oh how awful". So I agree with GreyGirlQLD - it is all realtive, and your boy is looking good now.

Oh dear piper, that must have been so frightening. To be honest when his hair first started falling out I did have a few moments of panic that he'd picked up a flesh-eating bacteria. Mind you, it's my instant reaction to expect the worst and start panicking so I managed to calm myself down!! Almost relieved when it was diagnosed as a burn. :rofl:

Moose is looking great!

And even though Lacey still has a large would, it is all looking really healthy as well. Still gigantic though and to think a Hot water bottle is responsible! Never going to have one in my house again!

I hear ya rommi. I have never used hwb's on my dogs at home before but I know I definitely won't now. Plenty of blankets and bedding for my pups! Mind you, Moose sleeps snuggled up next to me under the doona in bed so I don't think he's suffering from the cold too much. :rofl:

Seriously though, I am so amazed how quickly it is healing now, the edges of the raw area are contracting more and more everyday. His hair is pretty slow to come back (on the shaved/non burnt areas) but I guess this will take some months yet. Can't wait till our kids are back intact!

Quick update (no photos - haven't been organised enough to upload them yet! :cheer: ) - it's looking like we'll be able to avoid the surgical path altogether. :happydance2: Lacey's wound has gone from about being about 8cm across a week ago, to 3cm across as of this afternoon. We're all a bit stunned by the progress - but obviously pretty happy, too! :hug: So you're right about the healing being quick - it seems it gets to a certain stage and then just takes off.

Will post some shots of the impressive healing soon...

Hey GreyGirl! That's excellent news!! So happy to hear that she won't need to endure surgery. Hasn't she been through enough?? :eat:

It's amazing how quick it's healing isn't it!! Moose's is looking fantastic. Took him back to the vet yesterday and he's very happy with his progress. His AB's have finished and I just have to keep up the Dermaclens and the Silvasine and the vet thinks he should be looking almost back to normal (not including hair regrowth anyways) in about 4 weeks time. Definitely upload some photos for us!

Here's Moose's burn today....

(16/07/09)

post-27684-1247752401_thumb.jpg

And to compare it to 16 days ago it just looks amazing...

(30/06/09)

post-27684-1247752411_thumb.jpg

And here's his head for anyone who is sick of looking at his butt! :)

post-27684-1247752442_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosepup

Hey GreyGirl! That's excellent news!! So happy to hear that she won't need to endure surgery. Hasn't she been through enough?? :laugh:

It's amazing how quick it's healing isn't it!! Moose's is looking fantastic. Took him back to the vet yesterday and he's very happy with his progress. His AB's have finished and I just have to keep up the Dermaclens and the Silvasine and the vet thinks he should be looking almost back to normal (not including hair regrowth anyways) in about 4 weeks time. Definitely upload some photos for us!

Here's Moose's burn today....

That is amazing progress in just over 2 weks. Fantastic news.

• 2 weeks later...

Moose got the "all clear" from the vet today!!! :cry::cry: :D

He still needs a little bit of TLC... some sorbolene/vit E cream or bio oil just to help keep the skin nice and soft but his wound has pretty much healed up and it's now just a case of waiting for his hair to grow back. Think I could try some rogaine??? :cry:

One other thing I need to be careful about is too much UV light on the damaged skin. Hopefully this won't be an issue once his hair grows back (hopefully the majority of it will) but can be covered with some SPF so not a huge deal.

Phew! So glad this is nearly over.

Sending healing vibes out to GreyGirl's Lacey... hope your girl is coming along great guns. Have faith, you will get there!! :cry:

post-27684-1248863615_thumb.jpg