Red Under Eyes

I noticed my maltese is getting less hair under the eyes and the area of skin under the eyes are getting quite red

what could this be? i dont have the money to go back to the vet yet..

im feeding innova puppy kibble. i dont think its tear staining because there isnt any brown stuff excreted from her eyes. and i wipe them every day too.

Could be anything.

- allergic reaction which antihistamines might help

- blocked eye duct which could need meds or an operation

- eye infection which might need antibiotics

- entropion (eyelids rolling inwards and the eyelashes irritating the eyes) which could need surgery

I might be incorrect but in tear staining I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with brown tears. The staining is from the skin and hair being constantly wet.

I would at least bath the eyes with luke warm chamomile tea bags.

Teething :thumbsup: (I'm assuming this is a puppy because of the kibble) Tear staining always gets worse around teething time. You do have to clean the eye area every day to keep the face looking clean :) Maltese in the showring have their faces done EVERY day and usually more than once! :) You can purchase all varieties of eye cleaner from a pet some or try the camomile teabags as suggested :)

But the poster is writing of the dog losing its hair. So I don't think ordinary tear staining is the issue.

I have no experience of this so can't offer suggestions. Dogmad and Puggy-puggy might be closer to possibilities, but I think unless you do get your dog's Vet to check, it will only be guessing from here. Obviously, if the skin is red it is irritated. All I can think of (without necessarily thinking it is right) is the possibility of mites/mange.

Will your Vet let you pay off the account at a later date?

But the poster is writing of the dog losing its hair. So I don't think ordinary tear staining is the issue.

I totally missed that.

I would be thinking mites/mange.

Is it only beneth the eyes that the hair is being lost and the redness is occuring? Or all around the eyes?

Hi all,

its mainly below the eyes. theres not as much density hair in that area as in the other parts of the face or body.

also, its noticeably a bit pinker than the rest of the skin. (not red, but a lot pinker)

i am using advocate every month followed by monthly tapeworm tablet, so i dont think its the worm

we wipe her eyes every day.. im not sure wat else it can be?

Hi all,

its mainly below the eyes. theres not as much density hair in that area as in the other parts of the face or body.

also, its noticeably a bit pinker than the rest of the skin. (not red, but a lot pinker)

i am using advocate every month followed by monthly tapeworm tablet, so i dont think its the worm

we wipe her eyes every day.. im not sure wat else it can be?

What do you wipe her eyes with?

What is she fed?

Mites that cause mange are not worms. But Advocate does protect against both Demodex and Sarcoptic Mange so it is probably very unlikey that redness and hairloss is being caused either of these two types of mange.

So it is either something to do with her eyes causing them to produce to many tears therefore making the hair and skin under her eyes moist and irritated. Or qwhat you are cleaning them with.