How To Oil Clippers

How do you oil your clippers?

I have conflicting information where one source says:

Turn the clipper upside down and put 3 drops between the teeth of the blade. Turn the motor on

The other source says:

Turn the clipper on with the clipper the right side up (ie blade facing the sky) and put 3 drops between the teeth of the blade. Turn the motor on.

Do you usually oil before or after a clip? If oiling before, wouldn't hair get stuff on the oil?

How do you oil your clippers?

I have conflicting information where one source says:

Turn the clipper upside down and put 3 drops between the teeth of the blade. Turn the motor on

The other source says:

Turn the clipper on with the clipper the right side up (ie blade facing the sky) and put 3 drops between the teeth of the blade. Turn the motor on.

Do you usually oil before or after a clip? If oiling before, wouldn't hair get stuff on the oil?

The blade needs to be oiled before, during and after you clip. Before storing or finishing for the day the blade should have any hair removed by moving the top cutter to one side and brush the hair. Do not remove the top cutter or unscrew as this will affect the adjustment. The blade should then be washed in blade wash or metho and then dried with paper towel or use your dryer. After washing, the blade should have oil applied to the top cutter teeth and the back edge. Oil should also be placed on the plastic guide/groove on the top cutter. When clipping and the is clipper running apply 1 or 2 drops on the top cutter teeth every 10 minutes. This time is only a guide as the blade size, the type of clipper will affect the oiling.

I very very rarely bother to oil my blades and the chap who sharpens them for me says the blades are in great condition!

Same here!

Same here too.

We do ensure there well maintained BUT dont over oil as there is no need too.We use ours 5/6 days a week nearly all year

I very very rarely bother to oil my blades and the chap who sharpens them for me says the blades are in great condition!

But without the oil I find it quite noisy. I brought the wahl km2.

If you oil before and during use, wouldn't the fur stick to the blade?

The noise is the clipper over working. One of the main reasons for oiling is to minimise the load on the clipper. If the blades do not move freely then the clipper drive and motor will wear out prematurely.

The noise is the clipper over working. One of the main reasons for oiling is to minimise the load on the clipper. If the blades do not move freely then the clipper drive and motor will wear out prematurely.

Really?? My clippers are brand new and it was only on and off for 8 mins altogether before it gave the sound. 8 mins is not long to be classified as overworking is it?

I thought the sound was natural of clippers and a sign of needing oil.... but then again, I could be wrong as I am new to this :)

Edited by giraffez

people will flame me but i got big shoulders :laugh::cry:

I keep my blades submersed in blue kero 24/7 regularly flush them during use because when they get too dry they bind-up cause the clipper to work too hard, the blade gets hot and reduce blade cutting edge life. I get approx 60 to 80 clips between sharpens and I'm very pleased with that.

Chris

Another tip. When you put your blades away, wrap them in a piece of kitchen paper and put a piece of chalk into the box where you keep them. The chalk will help to absorb any moisture that is in or around the clippers and prevent them from rusting and blunting.

Thanks all.

But i still don't have the answer as to whether it will damage the clippers if i oil them, run it for 30 seconds and then use it on my dog. My concern is that far will get stuck in the blade because there is oil.