Ideas Appreciated.

esky

Hi all,

Would appreciate any input as I will be going to the vets tomorrow.

My 9 yr old peke girl, Sarah, is out of sorts for the last week or so. It is one of those situations where you just have that feeling something is brewing.

She has been a good eater & just loves chicken necks, a little bit of cheese as a treat & just about everything else! For the last week or so, she hasn't been interested in food as is only nibbling at bits & pieces. Even after only having tiny bits of food, she seems to want to walk around a little then come back as if she is uncomfortable in the belly or something???

A couple of weeks ago, she had a couple of days of diarroeah (sp?) that cleared up with a little scourban & her next motion was solid.

She is still lively enough (she is totally blind so has never been that playful or active anyway) & is still drinking ok & wagging her tail.

Today has been her worst day & she hasn't eaten a thing -- didn't even want her little bit of liver treat which she lives for! I did give her some nutrigel this morning which she took ok but that's it.

She looks thinner around her lower belly & hip area - she was always fairly straight looking & now curves in a bit.

When I first rescued her a year ago, we had a lot of trouble with a constant round of severe rumbly belly as she was previously fed mostly frankfurts etc & that is all she would eat. I have managed to get her off those & we haven't had a problem like that for a long time.

Her diet has consisted of bashed & cut up chicken necks for brekky & she will have either cooked chicken, chuck steak & kidney, or those puppy meatballs you buy ready made. She will have either a tiny bit of cheese or some liver treats for after.

Please offer up anything I can ask the vet about what may be the problem - she is definitely not herself & I hope I have not caused her any problems with anything I have fed or not fed her :)

Edited to add: forgot to mention that my vet gave her an antibiotic injection when I took her in to check on the diarroeah. That was about 10 days ago - not sure if that affects anything?

Edited by esky

Good luck at the vet esky, hopefully it's nothing serious. It's difficult when our dogs get just a general malaise because they can't tell you how they feel, you just know that they are feeling off.

8 years of being fed frankfurts... people amaze me! Luckily she has found you. :)

She may have an intolerance to fat or have colitis or pancreatitis.

I notice that what you are feeding is fairly fatty (chicken bones, cheese) and/or rich.

I have an old girl who simply can't have anything else except the I/D Low Residue diet or else she vomits and gets pains in her tummy.

She definitely can't have any chicken necks or any fat at all in her diet.

I think some of the food you've mentioned is pretty rich and I know that quite a few of my oldies are affected by different things, some can't tolerate the liver treats without getting upset tums.

Until you get to the vet, I'd try a 24 hr fast if you can, doesn't sound like she's very keen on her food at the moment.

I would try food that isn't quite so fatty. After fasting, I'd try a little Basmatic Rice with some veggies and tuna (in springwater only), and see how you go. That's what my sensitive oldies do best on.

Then you can add a few different things and see how you go. I like the dried food from www.pricelesspets.com.au, it's very good quality and value and they all love it.

Thanks again for your thoughts..............I will definitely bring these points up with the vet :banghead:

I had never thought about tuna - I will definitely give it a try. Are chicken necks ok for the other dogs? They never had muh raw till I tried those & their motions have certainly improved used to be very runny but are quite solid now. Is there anything better for them that I could use? Even after all these years of owning dogs I am still learning so any help is appreciated - just want what's best for them :(

I've ditched the generic liver treats available from the supermarket. I know get the liver crisps, which are a fundraiser for Monika's Doggie Rescue. Bradley's Liver Crisps, I think they're called. They seem to be kinder on my old dog's tummy.