Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Troy

We're getting our pup in 6 weeks, and while I'm home all day at the moment I may be returning to work soon.

I'm trying to figure out suitable accomidation for the puppy if he's at home on his own for say, up to 8 hours a day (although this is obviously a guess at the moment). Although our yard is fully fenced we've had problems with neighbouring dogs in the past, and living in the 'burbs we actually have a total of 5 adult dogs in adjoing yards. Therefore he won't be allowed outside on his own until he's mature, so the backyard is not an option.

We obviously wouldn't let him have the run of the house, and even if we could when he's older we have 2 cats so they'd need to be supervised together as well. They cause enough mayhem on their own lol.

Our best option at the moment is the garage - which is a double garage that we can clear out for him, and make quite cozy. But, does anyone have any better suggestions? I've heard a bit about dog runs, but I'm totally clueless as to how we'd make one and whether that would be a good idea considering where we live there's often unpredictable, extreme weather.

The best thing to do is to make your yard completely dog and puppy proof. Not just for your dog but for dogs trying to get in. I have quite a big front fence that is locked whenever I am not home. It is to keep other dogs and people out more than it is to keep my dogs in. I just don't buy the excuse of "my dog accidently got out" ( i know you didn't say this , just making point)

I have two SBT's and they are very important to us and thus they are protected not from themselves but outside things. A 3 foot fence would keep both in as they are not escape artists, however a 6 foot fence keeps eveything else out.

While the puppy is young put together a temp dog run using the mesh panels from Bunning, for 300 bucks you could build an awesome run that will last forever and be able to be moved , folded up etc etc etc.

Our yard is puppy-proofed. We have a combo of chain-link and colourbond in different spots, all 6 foot, and where there's chainlink with dirt underneath, which is only one spot (and also on the side where we've had problems with a dog previously) we'll be putting large rocks to make it impossible to dig under. Our house is brand new, and the fences are all secure.

But, regardless..he won't be unsupervised in the yard, we're just too paranoid now. We had believed it was secure before, but it didn't prevent our previous staffy from being killed in an attack. The room under the fence was remarkably small - I wouldn't have imagined he could fit more than his paw underneath, and it was created in the matter of half an hour by the neighbouring dog - who knows what else could happen if our new pup and the other dog were determined. Especially now this other dog has "won one battle", know what I mean? I don't even let my son and his friends play down that side of the yard now...

I'll get my partner to have a look into the mesh panels though, thanks. With a dog run, though...won't they be outside the entire time, or is their some way to attatch it to the inside like you can a cat run??

With a dog run, though...won't they be outside the entire time, or is their some way to attatch it to the inside like you can a cat run??

When we're home the dogs aren't in the runs, they're out to go where they please within the fences, so yes they are outside the whole time when we're not home (except when the weather is insane, when they're inside with the aircon on). Personally I wouldn't leave a Stafford, adult or puppy, loose in the yard all day even the best yard in the world - way too many things that could happen up to and including some loonie chucking bait over the fence (yes, that is the ultimate in paranoid), but even lesser things like the neighbours cat jumping in, or even sitting on the top of the fence and aggravating the dog to bark all day would be enough of a hassle.

To stop a determined dog digging rocks on the ground won't be anything like enough - dig down 12-18 inches, fill the trench with either concrete or lay wire mesh and refill.

Edited by Sandra777

Garages are hot in summer and heat sinks in winter ( although to a lesser extent in the tropics ).

Build a secure run, concrete the floor, have a roof on it and padlock him in when you are not home. Make sure it's in a spot with some sun and plenty of shade.

There needs to be somewhere in the run that is covered and the dog can get out of the rain.

Puppies should not be locked in garages or bathrooms for extended periods of time, they require fresh air, sunshine and something to at least look at other than 4 walls.

We won't have a problem with it being cold! But, the heat I do worry about. We have an airconditioner out there though that we can use or we could get fans, and we could also leave the screen door open as it's secure (grated, and locks with a key). That way he would be able to look out as well.

We're renting (through the army) so we won't be able to do any concreting unfortunetly, and again with the weather I worry, as we have a very large covered back veranda, and when it rains (which is often) it's not unusual for it to rain sideways and cover the entire area. I suppose unless we had a kennel in there. But would it be able to be secured without concrete?

With a dog run, though...won't they be outside the entire time, or is their some way to attatch it to the inside like you can a cat run??

When we're home the dogs aren't in the runs, they're out to go where they please within the fences, so yes they are outside the whole time when we're not home (except when the weather is insane, when they're inside with the aircon on). Personally I wouldn't leave a Stafford, adult or puppy, loose in the yard all day even the best yard in the world - way too many things that could happen up to and including some loonie chucking bait over the fence (yes, that is the ultimate in paranoid)

To stop a determined dog digging rocks on the ground won't be anything like enough - dig down 12-18 inches, fill the trench with either concrete or lay wire mesh and refill.

It will get us through the puppy stage, though...while we're out here with him. And, being defence, we'll likely move before he's an adult. But thanks for the suggestion, if we're still in the prediciment down the track we'll definitely look into securing it better. I wouldn't leave a staffy alone in a yard now, either...especially as a pup. When I reported what had happened to the council they commented that staffies are notorious for getting loose, and they pick up more of them who have than any other breed.

if you can do some altering to the property a temp method may be like I had at a previous property, this way you can have some sun, grass and shade concrete. We used sleepers dug about into the ground. for the bottoms

post-29970-1264138804_thumb.jpg

We're renting (through the army) so we won't be able to do any concreting unfortunetly,

Pavers work great, just lay them on a bed of sand.

and again with the weather I worry, as we have a very large covered back veranda, and when it rains (which is often) it's not unusual for it to rain sideways and cover the entire area. I suppose unless we had a kennel in there. But would it be able to be secured without concrete?

Sounds like a job for a good waterproof kennel for sure :eek: A solid roof for part/all of the run too would help with heat and rain. Dogs cope reasonably well with dry heat provided it's not way over the top, humidity is the baddie because they cool by evaporation and I'm sure you know how well evaporative cooling works in the tropics :scared:

Clam shell pool of water, frozen containers of water and plenty of deep natural shade will help. You can buy moveable dog runs if you want, come in sections, so you can take it with you when you move.

if you can do some altering to the property a temp method may be like I had at a previous property, this way you can have some sun, grass and shade concrete. We used sleepers dug about into the ground. for the bottoms

post-29970-1264138804_thumb.jpg

Actually something like that might just be doable. Perhaps we could use the garage as a back up for bad weather if we set it up right. I imagine while I'm not working he'll go in there for short periods when I'm out anyway. If we can't get it cool enough we have another room that's virtually empty that would do the trick as well, and be air conditioned completely - the laundry isn't an option as it's too small and has a sliding door that even my older cat can break through lol.

There's a corner of our house a bit like a large enclave where the back door to the garage is that might work nicely, although we would have to figure out something for shade...maybe a mesh covering? The only other problem with it is that there's a concrete path that runs through it (and through most of the yard except the grass in the middle), so we couldn't dig under that...I wonder if we could get something secure on top of it. I'm a bit hopeless with DIY, by the way lol.

We're renting (through the army) so we won't be able to do any concreting unfortunetly,

Pavers work great, just lay them on a bed of sand.

and again with the weather I worry, as we have a very large covered back veranda, and when it rains (which is often) it's not unusual for it to rain sideways and cover the entire area. I suppose unless we had a kennel in there. But would it be able to be secured without concrete?

Sounds like a job for a good waterproof kennel for sure :eek: A solid roof for part/all of the run too would help with heat and rain. Dogs cope reasonably well with dry heat provided it's not way over the top, humidity is the baddie because they cool by evaporation and I'm sure you know how well evaporative cooling works in the tropics :scared:

Clam shell pool of water, frozen containers of water and plenty of deep natural shade will help. You can buy moveable dog runs if you want, come in sections, so you can take it with you when you move.

What's the set up like for the removeable dog runs?

Yep, we've got humidity too. No points for guessing where we live now...lol. Our last staffy seemed to cope fine with it, though, as long as he had a steady supply of water. On really hot days we'd leave my son's sprinkler on for him, too...he hated actually being in the water lol. Hopefully this guy will like it a bit more. :cheer:

Wowza, just had a look here http://www.dogruns.com.au and geez they're pricey. I reckon I'd have to go back to work to afford one! LOL

Edited by FD26

Actually something like that might just be doable. Perhaps we could use the garage as a back up for bad weather if we set it up right. I imagine while I'm not working he'll go in there for short periods when I'm out anyway. If we can't get it cool enough we have another room that's virtually empty that would do the trick as well, and be air conditioned completely - the laundry isn't an option as it's too small and has a sliding door that even my older cat can break through lol.

There's a corner of our house a bit like a large enclave where the back door to the garage is that might work nicely, although we would have to figure out something for shade...maybe a mesh covering? The only other problem with it is that there's a concrete path that runs through it (and through most of the yard except the grass in the middle), so we couldn't dig under that...I wonder if we could get something secure on top of it. I'm a bit hopeless with DIY, by the way lol.

for the concrete on mine we just cut a sleeper in half to match with the ones on the grass as you dont have to worry about the little one digging through the concrete. The total size from memory of the run was about 11m long x 7m wide and was 1.8m high we used chicken wire on the outside of the shadecloth to stop the shadecloth being pushed through.

just need to be careful when mowing as the exhaust can melt the shadecloth found that out the first week after installation :scared:

I got a quote from a fencing place, as the shipping is pretty high on all the ones put together - and still $2,000!! So, we'll see I suppose. Might look into getting some welding gear, as it's my OH's old trade and might be the cheaper option. Or it may have to wait a few months. I still don't know what sort of work I'll get, it may very well be part time or night work anyway.

talking about feances and all that

my fences are 6ft high all round the yard we only have one side where a gate is that people can see in the can only see in if they came up to the house coz the trees cover the area do you think it would be safe? i have been freaking out snice last week when i was watching animal planet *my bad* and they had people stealing pitballs from reasue shelters and now i think WHAT IF!? now im worried i can take pics if you want to see what im talking about

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/dermatol...%20alopecia.htm

"What is colour dilution alopecia?

This condition develops in some, but not all dogs that have been bred for unusual coat colour, especially "fawn" (a dilution of a normally red or brown coat) or "blue" ( a dilution of the normal black and tan coat colour). Alopecia means hairlessness - affected dogs have a poor, patchy haircoat progressing to widespread permanent hair loss. At the cellular level, there are abnormalities of the hair follicles and uneven clumping of pigment (melanin) granules in the hair shafts in affected areas"

Edited by Staffordz

A question do people sell girl puppies for more then the boy puppies????

I've seen quite a few that do, and others that don't. My assumption is that with a female you can get a stud as where with a male you will need a female? But, honestly it's stumped me a little bit, too.

Costs the same to rear a boy as it does a girl.

I've had people ask me if I'll drop the price on the two boys I have left here because a) they're boys and b) they might not sell if they get too much older.

My reply. My price is my price and I don't care if they stay here until they're old enough to go into a nursing home. Mind you, considering they're only just 9 weeks old, I'm not too concerned! :)