Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Troy

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I am new to DOL but have been browsing through threads the past few days. I have a few questions to ask about Staffy's:

I currently have a 2 yr old desexed female staffy and my partner and i are looking to get another staffy however, i need some advice. I have read some concerns on DOL and on the net about having 2 males together, or having 2 littermates together, and also having 2 puppy's at the same time of similar age. What things should i be aware of with getting another staffy? Is my current staffy at an appropriate age to introduce another one? Do female/female go better together or female/male?

The last thing i want is to make a decision to get another staffy and in the end need to re-home it. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I was browsing through the stafford pages for a friend today, and I couldnt believe the amount of blue breeders who have pups or have the words blue in their prefix. Do you guys think this trend will pass?

Can you show blue dogs? Not many of the blues seem to have titles.

And what is with registered breeders calling them English SBT's? I didnt think every breed needs to have the country of origin put before its name.

Hi everyone, I am new to DOL but have been browsing through threads the past few days. I have a few questions to ask about Staffy's:

I currently have a 2 yr old desexed female staffy and my partner and i are looking to get another staffy however, i need some advice. I have read some concerns on DOL and on the net about having 2 males together, or having 2 littermates together, and also having 2 puppy's at the same time of similar age. What things should i be aware of with getting another staffy? Is my current staffy at an appropriate age to introduce another one? Do female/female go better together or female/male?

The last thing i want is to make a decision to get another staffy and in the end need to re-home it. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I answered on your other thread - but for the benefit of people who might read this thread in the future...... Buy a dog. A dog/bitch combination will virtually never cause you a problem. Two bitches can be fine together, but if they're not what will you do???? Some people will try to tell you it's all in the training (especially unethical breeders trying to sell you a puppy ;) ), but while some things canned be fixed with training, some things can't and if two bitches have a hatred of each other then there's nothing you can do except rehome one or keep them separate for life. Not worth the potential for heartache for the average pet owner. Littermates IMO are a bad idea for anyone without enough experience not to have to ask the question. :)

I was browsing through the stafford pages for a friend today, and I couldnt believe the amount of blue breeders who have pups or have the words blue in their prefix. Do you guys think this trend will pass?

You're not alone in your amazement :)

When the pet buying public wake up and realise that there is nothing particularly rare about blues and refuse to pay the big money for them the puppy farmers who are breeding them will continue to do so. Until people refuse to pay those prices for something which is neither rare nor special the trend will continue.

Can you show blue dogs? Not many of the blues seem to have titles.

Yes you can. It is an accepted standard colour. However.... the standard requires a Stafford to have a black nose, which is impossible in a blue. This alone wouldn't really be an issue because a grey nose is a fault like any other fault not a disqualification and dog shows are judged on virtues not faults anyway. The vast majority of blues are bred because they are blue, not because they are good Staffords. This means it's pretty unlikely the pups will be good enough to win at shows regardless of what colour they are.

Personally I don't have an issue with the colour provided it's actually blue, not any of the various shades of Weimaraner grey and baby-puke brown which are being bred.

And what is with registered breeders calling them English SBT's? I didnt think every breed needs to have the country of origin put before its name.

Just because they're registered breeders doesn't mean they a) know anything about the breed or b) are ethical. Unfortunately virtually anyone can pay for a kennel affix in Australia.

No ethical breeder I have ever met (been in the breed 32 years) has ever found the need to add the word English to the breed's name.

Edited by Sandra777

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum so please bear with me. :laugh: I've been reading through this thread for the last couple of days and havent really found an answer to my qn. and if it's there.. I apologise.. I'm BLIND!! :)

We have had our beautiful baby girl Tikaani for about a month now. I'm a bit worried about her weight.. she's 12 weeks old and weighs 4.1kg. I'm just wondering if that's normal? She's bright, alert and loves to do zoomies up and down the hallway in the evening, so she's very active. I've been reading through and seen that a lot of other pups are up to 10kg at this age!!

When we bought her from the breeder, she told us that Tiki was a little "skinny-mini".. nibbling throughout the day and not eating right away when the food was put down. After about a week of having her home, we started taking the food away if she didnt eat it within about 30 mins and because my OH and I both work full days, she wouldnt have anything till dinner (bout 6pm) and she would eat most of that. When we started puppy school, the trainer there told us that she was too young to be doing that and we should leave food out for her during the day. I'M CONFUSED!!

We're feeding her Eukanuba Puppy Medium Breed and she seems to have gone off that a bit. I mixed one scrambled egg in this morning with 1/4 cup of kibble and she hoovered it up.. then didnt eat much lunch or dinner. Just wondering if anyone has advice??

Thanking in advance. :)

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum so please bear with me. :) I've been reading through this thread for the last couple of days and havent really found an answer to my qn. and if it's there.. I apologise.. I'm BLIND!! :rofl:

Come on over the the Stafford thread (general/breed threads), this is more of a general info topic than a problem solving topic ;)

But the short answer to your question - I don't think she sounds abnormally small.

As long as she is healthy and happy and gaining weight at a steady rate she's fine. My 12 week old pups are fed 3 times a day so if you are out all day feed her prior to work, immediately on coming home then later in the evening. I wouldn't leave food down for her during the day but just before walking out the door to work you could give her a stuffed kong or a couple of 4x2 biscuits to keep her occupied.

• 3 weeks later...
The first time I heard the "staffy scream" I thought it was a possum fight! :( It seems quite unique to the breed. Are many SBTS vocal?

:rofl: Yes very vocal when you talk to mine in the morning they do a half howl half groan sort of thing it sort of sounds like they are saying owwwwy owwwy owwy :laugh: and they both snort like pigs when they are concerntrating on you and want you to look at them. I love it!

Also just wanted to say about the age thing-I work with a girl who has an 18 yr old staffy and a friend of ours has a 17 yr old one. The 18 yr old still follows her down to the river for a swim ( just slowly)

OMG, don't talk to me about vocal Staffords!

In all the years I have been involved with them, I thanked the LORD I didn't have one that made "monkey noises". I hadn't bred one, didn't own one and used to get REALLY shirty with the dogs at shows that made them!

Until now.....I have one who not only makes monkey noises, but seems to have competitions with himself to make them better (or worse depending upon how you view them). :love:

NOTHING seems to work on him.....he plays with the spray bottle. He gets louder if you ignore him. He gets louder if you talk to him.

I'm getting ready to throttle him and see if THAT works!!!!!!!!!!! :)

hi all

i found out off here where to get a stripping block from and have lost the imformation. so i was wondering if some one could help me on where to get one from. I know i bought it off an internet site.

thanks for your help Josh

Not a helpful answer - I've always bought them at the vans at shows, so if you go to shows that's one suggestion anyway :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Besides the 'screaming' (never heard of that before), what other 'odd' things are there are about the Staffy that the general public (us) don't know?

What would you say would be a common quirk of the breed?

mine love to sleep on their backs :thumbsup:

Besides the 'screaming' (never heard of that before), what other 'odd' things are there are about the Staffy that the general public (us) don't know?

What would you say would be a common quirk of the breed?

mine love to sleep on their backs :eek:

licky licky licky licky!!!

I will never buy another breed since getting Leila. Next time I'll do it right. Nanny dog fits her correct. I live on a farm I let her in and out the house as she pleases. I let the chooks free roam Leila has barked about 4 times in her life. once because she seen cows for the 1st time, other 3 because a foxes enter the yard. I babysat once the the kids were 8 months and 2yrs my kids were 6,3 and 2 when I got her because of that I left her outside because they other ppls kids and she hadn't been around babies I put a load of washing on came back to the loungeroom and she wasn't sitting outside the door. I said Where's Leila 2yr old I was watching said I let her in to play she's laying on the floor 8 month olds laying ontop of her almost asleep. I've epilesy If I'm not up at my normal time which is rare shes walks in my room jumps up on the bed and lays beside as if to check on me. She seems so wise. non dog owner don't understand our bond

Since getting her my life has got easier. (up to 2yrs 3 months ago life was easy=normal, thats when my temporal lobe epileppsy kicked it :thumbsup: ) Blind ppl have guide dogs I have Leila. If one of my kids crys shes there b4 I normally am. She normally sleeps with my 4 yr old who dreams on being a vet when she grows up but if my other 2 are sick or upset Leila is in their bed. if i'm not out of betr at my normal time she is with me checking why

Edited by Luvmy4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site :eek: .

I have a beautiful little staffordshire and his 12 months on the 23rd of this month.

I want to put him his first dog show in August but im a little nerves because I dont have a clue what to do in the ring.

I did go and watch a show just to get an idea but I got lost :hug: .

So Im just wondering if anyone has any tips for me or know of any dvd's I could watch to show me what to do.

I went onto youtube to see if they had anything, which they did but it only went for a couple of minutes and they mainly talked then showed.

Im registered on the main register with the TCA and everything, so im ready to go with that.

Also I seen at the dog show that the owners spray something on their staffordshires before they go into the ring to make their coats shine, just wondering what is the stuff or can get to make their coats shine?

If anyone has some great idea's or tips, I would really love to hear them :rofl:

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site :eek: .

Welcome!

Come across to the Stafford thread here.... http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=50264 and you'll get lots of suggestions

I want to put him his first dog show in August but im a little nerves because I dont have a clue what to do in the ring.

I did go and watch a show just to get an idea but I got lost :) .

Don't worry about not knowing what to do. Enter the show and on the day, when the Staffords get called, tell the steward (the person with the clipboard by the ring entrance :eek: ) that it is your first show and you don't know what to do. If they're any good they will make sure you don't go away before you're finished. Does the breeder of your dog show? Can they help out? When you go to the show approach someone else with Staffords - most of us aren't likely to bite a newcomer :eek:

Your dog will need to move calmly and sensibly beside you at a trot without sniffing pulling or jumping. Not much to ask for a first time :(

Practice standing him up in front of a mirror or a reflective window so you can see what you're doing. Look at pictures of Staffords on the web and this will give you some idea of how they're meant to stand but basically, everything square, up and down and straight will do for a start. Make sure you can lift his lips to look at his teeth with his mouth closed.

Don't panic - if you make a mess of it and he behaves like an idiot there's not someone waiting at the ring exit to shoot you.

Also I seen at the dog show that the owners spray something on their staffordshires before they go into the ring to make their coats shine, just wondering what is the stuff or can get to make their coats shine?

hmmm, well since you're not allowed to use any artifical substance on a dog's coat I'm sure you never saw this :laugh: You can buy these things at the show caravans at the grounds, but to start with good food, a bath, a polish with a piece of soft cloth and a rub over with your hands will probably do. What colour is your dog? The whites and reds never look as shiny as the blacks and brindles.

Edited by Sandra777