The Biggest Tantrum Yet

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody dogs

On the crate side of things... I had one like that for Kaos, she went through it within 2 weeks of using it.....

Kaos is like Chopper. She is fine at home, when i go out she doesnt care, try to take Atlas away from her and she will do anything she can to get away and join him. I tried to leave her in the yard, she screamed and tried to get over and under the fence, i locked her in the crate, i came home to the same thing you did. We have worked out if she is in her bedroom, her crate is in there, but she isnt locked in it, she is much better. She still cries, but by the time i get home she would have put herself to bed.

I like the webcam idea, can you set one up for someone to watch, take your phone and talk to the person so they can tell you what is going on?

I wouldn't trust him uncrated in the house. He's too destructive. Any time he's been given any freedom he's destroyed something!

I'm going to try this for starters and take it from there. OH will be home so he can keep an eye on him. I don't have a webcam.

But I thought your dogs were perfect? :) :D

OH said no to putting the crates in different rooms, but he did agree to get up earlier than usual so he could verbally correct Chopper if he whinged. I took Ivan and Trixie out first. We had a lovely walk very minimal pulling. Much less than walking the two boys together, so that was yay! When I got back Chopper was all kitted out in his weighted backpack. OH said he only whinged a little bit when I left. I took him and Angel out and once he figured out that I didn't like him walking so close to me with the backpack on we had a lovely walk. He only needed about ten corrections to stop him pulling [as opposed to the usual 700 or so!] and about twenty minutes into it he was actually beside me on a loose lead! It was really quite pleasant :)

I know all we've done is found a work around and we still have a lot to do to fix him, but it was the first morning in a very very long time where I've actually enjoyed walking the dogs. So I'll just savour this little victory before cracking out the book of dog tricks to decide what to teach him today :laugh:

OMG Ruth I've finally caught up with this thread and seen the photos. Was it really that calm happy dog at training that made that mess of himself??? Poor pup, and poor you!

Hope Chopper is nice and tired tonight and tomorrow's walk goes well too.

No, it wasn't that dog, it was the dog you might have seen at the the vetting table lunging and screaming at the other dogs :rofl: I HATE that part of training, he carries on like a prize arsehole cause all the other dogs are excited and playing. I should try and get there earlier so I can get vetted and then wait at the car until class starts. It was a good class today. He worked really well :laugh: Unfortunately not long after we came home he decided to challenge Ivan so he's in the bad books again :)

Hi Ruthless,

One of my dogs did exactly the same to our crate, when I had the other one out training. We fixed it by zippy tying oyster mesh around the bottom of the crate door so she couldn't put her teeth in the gaps. I know it doesn't help the behavioural problem but if it happens again Chopper can't hurt his mouth. I think we only had to do the door. Our dog never tried ripping at the crate like that at any other part.

I'm glad Chopper didn't hurt himself too bad.

Amanda.

Hi Ruthless. Does Chopper carry on by making all sorts of strange howling,warbling and general alien like noises? Cause Halston does. We have him at work at the moment because he escaped out of the yard. I too am trying to decide whether its general "I want attention" or true separation anxiety.

Will keep tuned in to see if you work something out.....