Tiny Lump On Eyelid

Hi Everyone :o

A couple weeks ago, I finally took Renae to the vets to have a biopsy done on her tail bone lump ( It's apparently some type of harmless cyst that will need removing at some stage)

We took Joey there as well to have his anal glands cleaned out (sorry if TMI), and while we were waiting for vet, I noticed Joey had this very tiny lump on one of his eyelids.

First I thought it was just some muck in his eye, so I started rubbing away at it. I then realize it wasn't going away. :laugh:

So when we went in with him, I asked the vet what could it be ?? thinking now I have 2 Cavs with lumps !! :laugh:

She reassured us that some dogs do get little lumps on their eyelids, and it's rarely ever sinister. She said it could also be a stye, so to keep an watch on it over the next couple months, and if it was still there to come back in with him. They apparently can get bigger and start affecting their eye, so it would be best to have it removed before that point. She told me not to panic over it, just to be aware of it for the next couple of months.

She told me his eyes appear to be normal, and not infected in any way:)

It's not going away, but hasn't gotten worse either yet.

Has anyone ever had any removed from their dog's eye?? did it go ok?

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

If it's just a little meibomian gland tumour, we take them off quite regularly. It's a very simple procedure and I've never seen one that hasn't healed up well. We take them off when they are rubbing on the surface of the eye and irritating them.

We took one off one of my dogs eye's a few years ago. Once the stitches were out, you'd never have known she'd had the surgery.

Thank you Stormie for replying, and for the reassurance that they aren't too nasty to remove, and heal ok afterwards :hug:

The vet didn't seem too concerned about it at all, so if it gets bigger, or still there in a couple months time, I will get it removed (Just have to save up some more money after the last lot of vet bills first lol)

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Jules, Ingrid developed a tiny lump on her top eyelid not long after she came to me so I raced her off to the vet. She used a syringe to get some fluid out and said it may return but it didn't. Six years later another appeared but then went after about a week.

Jules, Ingrid developed a tiny lump on her top eyelid not long after she came to me so I raced her off to the vet. She used a syringe to get some fluid out and said it may return but it didn't. Six years later another appeared but then went after about a week.

Hi Gretel :rofl:

Oh thats good about Ingrid's tiny eyelid lump not ever eventuating to anything too serious :)

Ok I won't overly worry about it at this stage. Think getting rid of Renae's cyst on her tail bone might be more important..

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Hi Jules,

Sarah has recently had a little cysty thing removed from her bottom eye-lid - very straight forward short op - 'wedge excision'.

I went ahead and had the op as it was big enough to be irritating the inner eye-lid (it was very red) and apparently they can scratch the cornea. Sarah healed really quickly and well - and with disposable stiches she didn't even have to go back to the vet.

So my guess is that keep an eye on the inside of the eyelid and if it becomes red and iratated then take Joey back to the vet for review.

Cheers,

Westiemum :)

Edited by westiemum

My boy had lumps removed off both of his eyelids. They healed really well and has not had any problems since then. He has developed more (he is 14) on the inside of the eyelids that can be taken off due to the location and resulting lack of skin (was a while agoe when vet explained) if they tried, but even though they irrate him, more in the hot and dry weather, I have managed it well with regular eye drops used once daily or twice if he needs it.

The eyes weep but he doesnt rub them and he is cruzing along fine.

• 1 month later...
Hi Jules,

Sarah has recently had a little cysty thing removed from her bottom eye-lid - very straight forward short op - 'wedge excision'.

I went ahead and had the op as it was big enough to be irritating the inner eye-lid (it was very red) and apparently they can scratch the cornea. Sarah healed really quickly and well - and with disposable stiches she didn't even have to go back to the vet.

So my guess is that keep an eye on the inside of the eyelid and if it becomes red and iratated then take Joey back to the vet for review.

Cheers,

Westiemum :rofl:

Update about Joey's eye lump

Hi Westiemum :rofl:

My apologies for not having responded to you ! :laugh:

I had tried to forget about his eye lump for a while, but it's got bigger, so had to take him back to the vets today again about it.

The vet said it's a benign adenoma tumour , and it will need removing soon. He also has to have two molars extracted eeek! (Its apparently common in smaller breeds of dogs)

She would prefer to do both procedures at the same time, so he doesn't need to go back again under anesthesia, as he doesn't do too well coming out of them :eek:

Its going cost us around $600 :laugh: which we don't have atm because we are trying to buy a house ! talk about bad timing !!

Anyway it still has to be done regardless over the next month or two!

'wedge excision' is what they said they will be doing, like your Sarah had. I am glad (and feel more reassured) to hear she recovered well and quickly from her procedure !

I just hate thinking that he will be in pain with his eye and his mouth :rofl:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

My boy had lumps removed off both of his eyelids. They healed really well and has not had any problems since then. He has developed more (he is 14) on the inside of the eyelids that can be taken off due to the location and resulting lack of skin (was a while agoe when vet explained) if they tried, but even though they irrate him, more in the hot and dry weather, I have managed it well with regular eye drops used once daily or twice if he needs it.

The eyes weep but he doesnt rub them and he is cruzing along fine.

Hi and thankyou for responding Munchin :rofl:

Oh that unfortunate your boy can't have the other ones removed because of their location :laugh:

I am glad the eyedrops help, and that he is doing ok :rofl:

Poor Joey. I'm sure he will feel much better once he has his teeth done and lump off his eyelid. I might be mistaken but I think Cav's might be quite prone to eyelid lumps.

Its going cost us around $600 :laugh:

Normal dentals for small dogs cost about $400 with one of my vets.

Poor Joey. I'm sure he will feel much better once he has his teeth done and lump off his eyelid. I might be mistaken but I think Cav's might be quite prone to eyelid lumps.
Its going cost us around $600 :laugh:

Normal dentals for small dogs cost about $400 with one of my vets.

Thanks Puggypuggy :rofl:

Yeah some Cavs are prone to them (they arn't supposed to be anything sinister tho, but can cause other complications if left) :rofl:

I am sure he will feel better after he has it all done, well when he gets over the initial pain of it all :laugh:

I think the dental part will be about $400, and the eye lump removal about $200, if all goes to plan :rofl:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

• 1 month later...

Well the time has come. Joey has been finally booked in for surgury tomorrow on his eye lid tumor and molars. It can't be put off any longer :laugh:

He doesn't usually come out of GA too well, but they know about it ..

Hubby and I are feeling really anxious ! Renae (J's Mother) will fret too without her little boy by her side for the day ..

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Well the time has come. Joey has been finally booked in for surgury tomorrow on his eye lid tumor and molars. It can't be put off any longer :thumbsup:

He doesn't usually come out of GA too well, but they know about it ..

Hubby and I are feeling really anxious ! Renae (J's Mother) will fret too without her little boy by her side for the day ..

Oh Jules, that has come across quickly...

Joey will be fine... I know that doesnt mean much now but I know how anxious you can be before an op. He will be in good hands and come out of it in no time.

Will be thinking of you and Joey tomorrow :laugh:

Thanks Bellatrix :(

Well we had been putting it off because of us being busy with moving, and lack of finances, but when I went to see the vets here this morning (they are a partner to our other one we went to in Strath) about making an appointment for Joey, they said you best get it done asap, we can do it tomorrow !!!!

I got all teary, but they just said gently it's best to get it over with it.

Michael's just finished washing him, and is now trimming/grooming him for the big day. Joey is all excited atm, little does he know whats about to happen tomorrow :p

BTW love ur siggy !!:D

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs