Rate My Meat!

Hey guise. I'm trying to create the perfect, super variety mince for my dogs and would like to know your opinion on feeding each cut/organ and roughly what % you would use each meal.

My dogs are chihuahuas and I feed them about 50-60g of meat per day and/or a meaty bone with one fasting day per week. They have Artemis grain free kibble to graze on during the day but only go through about a cup per week between them. I have the kibble there as backup food and also as a supplement in case I am missing something from their diet.

First of all, for bone content my dogs get a mix of chicken necks, chicken wings, chicken frames, ox tail with fat trimmed off and the occasional large joint or marrow bone just for grinding down.

I have found a butcher that sells all sorts of animals, cuts and offal (unbelievably cheap). I can choose any of these meats and have them minced together for me. In the mince, I add a handful of chicken of beef mince human grade, I grate a carrot or two, some broccoli, apple and throw in a sprinkle of cheese. My dogs refuse to eat any form of seafood except prawn shells :D They also have plain kangaroo mince once or twice a week.

So far I have bought:

chicken hearts

chicken giblets

lamb hearts (fat removed)

ox heart

ox tounge

beef liver

beef kidney

chicken liver

chicken feet

The butcher also has lambs brains, ox liver, tripe, lamb feet, lamb heads, skinned rabbits, quails, ducks, goats.

I was wondering what meats you would NOT feed and why (eg no nutrional value, too much fat) and also what meats I should feed more and less of in the mince (eg more heart muscle, less giblet, more chicken than cow etc). I can find lots of nutritional info for humans but not so much for dogs.

And do you think having such a large variety of meats in their diet is a bad thing? Arnie's shits are always perfect no matter what he eats but if Mort has a bit too much liver/kidney, his crap is a bit runny but apart from that both boys have small, dark, solid, odourless craps.

I am so glad I found this butcher. They are so nice and friendly and cheap as anything! Chicken frames are 69 cents a kilo!

So yeah, please lemme know what you think about the meats listed and also anything else I might like to add/remove from their meat.

The meats on your list sounds great but why do you need to mince them?

Why don't you just give your dog 1/4 of lamb heart or whatever?

Btw according to prey model diet you want to feed around 10-15% bone and 10-20% offal (which would be liver or kidney NOT heart; heart is a muscle meat)

On your list great meat sources are:

chicken hearts

lamb hearts

ox heart

ox tongue

For bone content I would just add heaps of chicken necks/wings/drumsticks :D My cat is about the size of your dog and she eats them whole :p

hah thanks dudes. I wanted some people to notice so I went with the dodgy title.

I don't need to have the meats minced but if I diced up each one in a mix, they will pick their favourite bits and leave the other stuff behind. if I give a solid piece of heart it might be buried, stolen or "saved", a giblet which will be eaten, lamb brain which will be licked, nibbled and buried etc. If i mince them, they eat it all in one go and get a taste and even nutritional value of everything included .

As for grazing on kibble, it's just what I have always done. My dogs get protective of their bone or "special item" but the kibble is always there so it's not a gobble-and-run food for them. It's just for when they are hungry. As I said, they go through bugger all a week between them, I just like to have it there to bump up the nutrition.

Does anyone give brains to their dog?

hah thanks dudes. I wanted some people to notice so I went with the dodgy title.

I don't need to have the meats minced but if I diced up each one in a mix, they will pick their favourite bits and leave the other stuff behind. if I give a solid piece of heart it might be buried, stolen or "saved", a giblet which will be eaten, lamb brain which will be licked, nibbled and buried etc. If i mince them, they eat it all in one go and get a taste and even nutritional value of everything included .

As for grazing on kibble, it's just what I have always done. My dogs get protective of their bone or "special item" but the kibble is always there so it's not a gobble-and-run food for them. It's just for when they are hungry. As I said, they go through bugger all a week between them, I just like to have it there to bump up the nutrition.

Does anyone give brains to their dog?

How about giving your dog one of these items at the time? As in a couple of giblets or a piece of ox heart?

Btw with such an amazing selection of meats I would be doing prey model diet :thumbsup:

Thats a great selection there. Like mine. I alternate between mince and mince mixed with offals and chunks of meat. Every day or two its a different meal. Chicken necks or chicken wings for their teeth. A lamb shank for that real teeth cleaning and ripping. Vegetables or fruit in season.

I have to do different meals as I have one that wont eat liver. Even when I mince it finely. As for kibble I dont use it. My guys would be fatter than they already are if I did that, plus I'm not a believer of kibble.

For breakfast they would get two chicken necks and their 50gms mix at night. Anything more than that and they are fat little porkers. They get leftovers during the day as I have children who think the dogs are starving so they are always handing them something of their plates. The dogs have even learnt to follow that kid around until they drop something.

oonga - the butcher is at Brunswick market on Sydney rd near the police station, it looks like a little shopping centre.

I have had a look at the prey model diet and it makes alot of sense. I will take away the kibble and just feed them these wonderful meaty bits :rofl:

this morning they had two chicken hearts and a giblet. dinner tonight is a small chicken neck.

will chop and bag meats tomorrow. thanks for you advice people :laugh:

Edited by kosti

what sort of dogs do you have oonga? I could do a shop for you and bring one of mine over for a play date if you wanted :laugh:

hahaha a Rottweiler :thumbsup:

thanks for the offer but we might decline, she already thinks other dogs are too much fun :rofl:

One of the butchers in Wagga is great for things like this. I went in to buy a range of things (liver, heart, brain, spleen, kidney) to help study for anatomy exams (and then feed to the botomless pit that is Molly and my two housemates dogs) It was a last minute deal as I had only thought of this on the morning of the exam. They had everything on hand without needing to pre order, I had been rather expecting to only find the heart and liver!

if anyone is still following, I spent 2 hours in the kitchen last night removing fat, chopping and bagging animals.

for brekie they got a small chicken wing, no dinner tonight but tomorrow will be ox heart diced and a giblet for dinner.

I gave them 1/4 lamb heart each at some point and am still waiting for it to turn up somewhere horrible...ie my bed lol

the prey model diet looks great and is what I have been attempting in a way, just need a little more offal and a little less bone...and fish oil tablets i see :laugh:

if anyone is still following, I spent 2 hours in the kitchen last night removing fat, chopping and bagging animals.

for brekie they got a small chicken wing, no dinner tonight but tomorrow will be ox heart diced and a giblet for dinner.

I gave them 1/4 lamb heart each at some point and am still waiting for it to turn up somewhere horrible...ie my bed lol

the prey model diet looks great and is what I have been attempting in a way, just need a little more offal and a little less bone...and fish oil tablets i see :cooldance:

Looks like it's going well kosti - I have to laugh at the quantities though - because I have big dogs, the 1/4 here and there makes me giggle. For example I would give two lamb hearts and 6 chicken wings for one meal!