Dogs Need Not Be Written Off For Dog Aggression

This is a case study I have been working on, it will be submitted to various journals vet mags etc.

It demonstrates how little is sometimes required to solve a large problem.

Case Study:

Toffee

Shepherd Cross Cattle

Desexed approx 2 year old female.

Living with another dog in household.

Owners: Cindy & Elwyn.

I was contacted by the foster carers of Toffee, as they were reporting aggression toward other dogs, & recently people.

Whilst waiting for the appointment date, Cindy contacted me again explaining that through an attempt to attack another dog, Toffee had bitten her on the leg in an episode of handler aggression.

Whilst the attack was not directed at Cindy, as it was driven by frustration, it still was a concern.

On the 23rd October 2004, we conducted a behaviour consultation with Toffee in attendance were Cindy & Elwyn, the dog’s owners.

On meeting at their vehicle, Toffee was exhibiting flight behaviours at the sound of my dogs barking from their enclosed pens. This included piloerection, sniffing the ground, her tail was tucked & she was repeatedly flighting into the end of the leash.

I took her leash & walked Cindy, Elwyn & Toffee to the consult room. During this time further symptoms of fear were displayed and Toffee was now exhibiting fight behaviours including defensive barking, pulling on leash & growling at my dogs, who were out of site.

We entered the consult room and got seated to discuss the situation and perform the evaluation.

At the 15 minute mark, Toffee had settled somewhat but it was obvious that she was still very nervy about the unfamiliar environment.

She was gaining no reassurance from the presence of her owners, as is the case with many fear aggressive dogs.

Through discussions I was able to explain that Toffee was subject to a severe fear phobia, & that she was using aggression as a safe guard from anything she feared. Her loose stools & behaviour at home served as further confirmation of this.

I had a non reactive very friendly black Labrador that I allowed to run around my property during the second 15 minutes of the consult.

The dogs were separated by glass doors & he paid little attention to Toffee.

Toffee’s reaction to as little as a passing run of the Labrador was severe aggression. Barking, piloerection, teeth being bared, tail stiff, stoic body posture & growling were being exhibited to such a degree that Toffee could not be interrupted by conventional means.

I allowed the Labrador to pass the room several times over 20 minutes with zero reduction in reaction from Toffee. They never in this time came any closer than 10 metres, & had a glass door between them. This was a severely fearful dog.

After explaining how Toffee was feeling, I discussed some programs that Cindy & Elwyn would need to put in place.

Whilst this problem was quite severe, one of the main contributing factors that needs to be considered is the commitment the owners are willing to put in. Even minor problems need commitment & consistency from the dog’s owners and complicating Toffee’s case was the fact that she was being fostered for a rescue organisation.

I was confident that Cindy & Elwyn were committed to helping Toffee however the options were limited. The dog could not be rehomed, the problem was not tolerable and that left an attempt at rehabilitation or Euthanasia. After being made aware of these options Cindy and Elwyn made the decision to adopt Toffee and attempt the process of rehabilitation.

We then went to the training field and allowed Toffee to settle in yet another environment. I spent a few moments teaching/imprinting some leash manners in Toffee & then went to get a dog so that I could evaluate Toffee’s critical distance., That is, the distance in which Toffee would consider any advancement toward her unacceptable & display aggression.

A circle of 10 metres is common as a starting point for many dogs.

I walked toward the training field with my non reactive labrador, that was paying no attention to Toffee at all. Toffee began to display aggression at a distance of 50 metres plus. Almost any sight of any dog was enough to trigger her defence drive and have her displaying fight behaviours.

I positioned my labrador with Cindy and took Toffee on my leash. By using classic conditioning methods I was able to redirect Toffee’s attention back on me and reduce the defence drive.

We positioned my labrador so that he was facing away from Toffee, making eye contact impossible.

Through a varied process of desensitization I was able to bring Toffee within 5 metres of my dog in a time frame of approximately 15 minutes.

I also had my labrador heel with Cindy and move around the field in various positions which allowed me to evaluate Toffee’s response to each position.

We spent another few minutes with some calming positions to give Toffee somewhere to go in times of fear, rather than showing aggression.

I replaced the labrador with one of my German Shepherds, a large entire male.

Our achievements in this lesson had been fantastic and we had reduced Toffee’s reactive distance of 50 metres plus to within 5 metres with limited reactions.

We spent some further time desensitizing Toffee to yet another dog. To do this we utilised the leash training and attention getting exercises, and also used the calming positions that I had taught her a few minutes before.

Within less than one hour on the training field, Toffee was making eye contact, sniffing and licked my GSD’s face. I walked her around and around with Toffee stepping over my GSD as we were now within less than 1 metre of mu GSD

There were no signs of fear displayed any longer. I did however reward Toffee for her new reaction.

She was then handed to her owners and those moves rehearsed.

We did not see any more aggression in this session. When we headed back to the training room, another dog was present and Toffee’s reaction was remarkably improved.

Toffee will never feel 100% comfortable around other strange dogs, however what we are trying to achieve is for her to trust and rely on her owners in times of stress, not react with aggression.

I set a program that included my own feeding and respect program called the Triangle of Temptation and also recommended use of the world wide program, NILIF, nothing in life is free.

Further recommendations included a high dose of rescue remedy for 30 days and observation of the effect it has on Toffee and her stools.

If not enough effect takes place we would then be seeking a 6 panel thyroid test and possibly a low to medium dose of Clomicalm.

More training of leash manners and some lessons in how dogs should meet in this program.

Since the consult, Toffee has shown a mixed improvement with an overall positive result for the small amount of time that has passed.

I do believe that Cindy and Elwyn will, in a short time, be able to have this severe phobia, well under effective management.

Steve Courtney

Accredited Dog Obedience Trainer

Accredited Law Enforcement Dog Trainer

Accredited Canine Behaviour Consultant.

K9 Force Professional Dog Training & Behaviour Consultancy

www.k9force.net

[email protected]

0409 300 613

Thanks for that, made for interesting reading.

I'm sure that if I had gotten a proper handle on my Kelpie crosses dog aggression earlier, we would have had much better results than currently. It is good to read of success stories with dog aggression because owners of dog aggressive dogs often feel like a pariah in classes and it is very stressful for both dog and owner.

thats a gr8 story, only thing have to say checked out ur website. and i have a question why are people still selling electric shock collars. for one are we not trying to get our dogs to do things through trust, and home in to there behaviour. as i think im sure that wolves in the wild dont give each other an electric shock, when they have done wrong!?

also it has been known for example you have a dog who has intermale agression for example, you take him to the park, passing you is a dog (male) and also a woman and chid. the dog reacts to the other male, it gets a shock now that dog doesnt know why it got that shock, he could then start associating it with children 4 example.

i live in england and we are trying our hardest to ban theses collars, as i myself feel if you have to use such gadgets, why are they training dogs, i train all my dogs the "natural" way, and i own a GSD (from the police) who i work, a Black Lab (i used to work) a chinese sharpai and a collie. and we dont need any collars nothing on our dogs as we have trained them using a firm but fair approch, but most inportantly the way the dog understands.

but congrats on making sure that dog lived a nice and happy life.

Edited by faz

Excellent result in such a short space of time. Made for interesting reading. I ma always interested in anything about dog agression as my stafford was (appears OK at the moment) being agressive after he was attacked by another stafford in January this year.

Free guidance from a professional is always a bonus :thumbsup:

Thanks

Jodie

That's the key element .......gaining the dogs trust and respect as their leader. So that in times of distress, fear, the dog can look to the leader for guidance, rather than trying to control the situation themselves.

Great result Steve.

Edited by Bonniescot

why are people still selling electric shock collars.

K9: because they are the most effective form of communication with a dog.

for one are we not trying to get our dogs to do things through trust, and home in to there behaviour.

K9: the remote training collar was not used in this case, although it would have been an exceptional way to retrain this dog had conventional methods failed.

The e collar can provide emotionless discomfort, this will build trust when the trainer knows how to give the dog control to switch off the collar.

as i think im sure that wolves in the wild dont give each other an electric shock,

K9: no they dont, an overly aggressive wolf in a pack would be killed by the other pack members. That is there rehab method.

also it has been known for example you have a dog who has intermale agression for example, you take him to the park, passing you is a dog (male) and also a woman and chid. the dog reacts to the other male, it gets a shock now that dog doesnt know why it got that shock, he could then start associating it with children 4 example.

K9: its not "known" at all, in fact that would be missuse of the tool, not correct use.

Same as if the dog shows aggression toward a child, & you pull the dog away & give it a food treat, if the dog is still in rank drive & the child is still there, you could inadvertantly reward the aggression & increase it.

That has been known to occur.

i live in england and we are trying our hardest to ban theses collars,

K9: yes Im well aware of the status in england. Its a shame that ignorance rules over results.

as i myself feel if you have to use such gadgets, why are they training dogs,

K9: I am going to suggest that you have never used one of these gadgets, right?

i train all my dogs the "natural" way, and i own a GSD (from the police) who i work, a Black Lab (i used to work) a chinese sharpai and a collie. and we dont need any collars nothing on our dogs as we have trained them using a firm but fair approch, but most inportantly the way the dog understands.

K9: each to their own, Im not talking about half a dozen dogs that I have had some success with, Im talking thousands.... where natural methods failed.

The remote collars are not required by all dogs or all trainers, but they shouldnt be ruled out of your training toolbox due to your political stance.

If you look at the truth about e collars article, you may learn some thing about modern use of the remote training collars. There is no pain added & the collar acts as a behavioural interuptor, a tap on the shoulder one might say.

I have used these collars to solve many problems, just didnt need one in this case.

I have simply responded to explain that the people that still refer to electronic training aids as "shock" collars are well behind the latest behaviour modification & training methods.

Electricty can generate heat, heat can warm your bed in the form of an electric blanket, heat can warm your house, it can also cook your food.

In extreme cases is can cremate your body.

Cave men ran from fire (heat), lucky not all of them did.

I'm tempted to see if you can have a look at my Kelpie cross. Is it worth trying to fix dog aggression in a 5 year old dog? The problem is I have tried various methods (which probably makes your job harder). Some have helped improve the problem and some haven't, but the problem is definitely still there. She is a reactive, hyper and somewhat skittish dog, but eager to please and learns new things quickly. Loves food rewards. Has good obedience, loves agility and tricks.

At the very least I am thinking to get more ideas for my toolbox if I have the problem in another dog.

I would really reccomend a visit because we have had fantastic results. I am actually the Cindy referred to in the case study - I guess everyone knows my real name now :)

Steve spent so much time with us when we went and saw him. It was really amazing and we learnt so much. More fascinating was to watch how quickly Toffee bonded with him. She was actually at the front of the class room with him and not with us :scold:

She is coming ahead in leaps and bounds and is just a different dog to the one we originally took in. You can imagine the thoughts going through my mind after she bit me.......

It's also been good to send Steve emails to bounce her progress off him - I always get a response within 24 hours and he never makes me feel like a pest for bugging him so often (which I do a lot ;) )

I actually wasn't going to post to this thread because I didn't feel it needed my comment but I just cannot help sing the praises of Steve. BTW this case study is also being mentioned in the SMH on Saturday because they interviewed Steve!

Here's Miss Toffee

post-9-1101378058.jpg

Edited by slowone

Cindy, Great to hear you had such good progress with Steve but being yet another Loyal client of his I am not suprised at all.

Steve has worked miracles with many dogs that I have see with my own eyes including mine. This is an excellent story that highlights the need for individual and correct training methods - One Size does NOT Fit All

I use and fully support the use of E-Collar Training and it is in no way cruel. So many people have had a go at me for using the collar on my dog but simply removing her collar and placing it on them and pressing the button solves that argument. NO ONE has felt the "shock" that I give to my dog to correct her. I have had to up it to at least double and most of the time over 4 times the power than I use on my dog before their muscles react and STILL they only feel the muscular reaction and not the actual pulse from the collar.

Jadey ;)

Lia:

Is it worth trying to fix dog aggression in a 5 year old dog?

K9: the earlier you start the better, but I believe its never too late to try...

Lia:

The problem is I have tried various methods (which probably makes your job harder).

K9: your right, it does, dogs can learn that if they resist long & hard enough, you will give up.

Lia:

Some have helped improve the problem and some haven't, but the problem is definitely still there.

K9: & in some dogs it always will be, but 99.9% can greatly benefit from a management program.

Lia:

At the very least I am thinking to get more ideas for my toolbox if I have the problem in another dog.

K9: you will definately benefit, & learn to prevent this re coouring with other dogs too.

Thanks to those for the kind words...

• 6 months later...

Sorry to drag this back up but... Whooooo hoooooo I just had to post an update!!!

Tonight we decided to introduce Toffee to a strange dog - and guess what! No agression at all. She accepted the dog immediately and there was no aggressive behaviour shown at all - not even when she was walking towards the dog. We took them for a walk togethor and she spent the whole time leaning over and licking the dog

It has taken a bit of time but it worked :rolleyes: :cry::rofl:

Steve great story and what a result I would love to do what you do but probably not smart enough we hire electronic bark collars for consistant barkers with about a 99% rate of sucess.

Slowone

Toffee is absolutely gorgeous I am glad it worked out for all concerned. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for posting (& publishing) this case history on aggression in a dog, Steve. And, thank you, too, Cindy.

I hope you write up more case histories on aggression...because it's the area of dog behaviour I'd like to know heaps more about.

Because of the kinds of dogs I've fostered (or we've adopted), I've had to learn a lot about doggie problems to do with anxiety or timidity or toilet training or the very basic training for living as household pets.

But I know next to nothing about aggression....& how it fits into dog behaviour. Seems there's so many kinds of aggression. Like we had a foster-dog who was a pussy-cat with other dogs in his own backyard....but take him for a walk & he'd turn into a screaming, foaming, whirling dervish if he saw another dog.

The sad thing is that so many dogs are PTS because people don't have the knowledge, time, circumstances, patience or whatever, to help those dogs learn new ways of behaving with their owner's management. Or they think aggression is always an unchangeable trait.

So it's specially heart-warming to read this case of one dog saved. More, please!

Edited by mita

K9: very welcome & great work Cindy & Elwyn.

People should know that I evaluate the dog, write a program & provide demonstration & follow up. Cindy & Elwyn have done the work with Toffee.

I teach people how to understand their dog, read it & work with it, then & then only can they rehab serious issues like Toffee (Im pleased to say) HAD! lol..

Most people would have put Toffee down, & one could hardly blame them as the aggression she displayed was extensive to say the least.

Toffee is an extremly affectionate & warm dog to people AND other dogs, she just had some issues upon meeting other dogs, I suspect she had suffered at the jaws of another dog or many other dogs before being taken on by Cindy & Elwyn.

When she played with my GSD Kayne, after we had quenched her fear a little, play bows, playfull rolls, nip & chase games all came out, this was the first time we had seen the real Toffee..

Certainly a dog worth spending time on..

I have a thousand case studies similar, it teaches me that time + dedication = results!

I teach people how to understand their dog, read it & work with it,

Do you know that's exactly how we educate teachers to help children with learning/behaviour problems?

It's not starting with a recipe & approaching the child & applying it.

NO...they're taught that the answer is right there in front of them...the child him/her self...what the child does, says, likes, dislikes etc . Looking for patterns....looking for what precedes certain behaviours.

You're spot on...understanding, 'reading', then working with the child....AND bringing into the loop the people who have closest contact...like parents.

M:

Do you know that's exactly how we educate teachers to help children with learning/behaviour problems?

K9: as a matter of fact I do know that, many of my programs are orientated around human treatment options but include dog behaviour...

It takes a lot of study to treat canine behaviour issues, in mnay fields & the learning never stops.

M:

You're spot on...understanding, 'reading', then working with the child....AND bringing into the loop the people who have closest contact...like parents.

K9: of course the most importnat part is getting the parents of the dog or person on the same page as the instructor, they will be the ones putting in the time, not me.

Imprinting a behaviour for me is easy, getting the owners to replicate that in my opinion takes the owners to know & understand the reasons why.