Shetland Sheepdog

Troy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer my puppies to be done around the six to nine month mark. Shelties can have bad reactions to some anaesethics, have known some to even die undergoing minor operations and since puppies are quite small, I would rather they have this done when they are a bit bigger.

I have considered desexing my babies prior to sale but for the meantime have decided against it. Other than the concerns regarding anesthetic I am also concerned about the effects on their growth. My only experience is owning a pedigree kitten that was desexed at 10 weeks and he is certainly rangier and lacking in substance compared with his entire siblings.

At this stage I will stick to a desexing contract at a later date but will watch developments with interest

I prefer my puppies to be done around the six to nine month mark. Shelties can have bad reactions to some anaesethics, have known some to even die undergoing minor operations and since puppies are quite small, I would rather they have this done when they are a bit bigger.

:laugh: thank you very much for pointing out. Guess now we should think about it alittle more carefully.

I think it would be fair to say between $700.00-$900.00 depending on the state. There should be no difference in price between a limited and a main registrered puppy.

One would expect that a puppy comes with the above papers, or confirmation that the litter has been registered and that the papers are pending (in which case we print off a pedigree from our database); vaccination certificate; eye certificate and microchip papers.

We include a booklet on raising your puppy, photos of both parents; a dvd of photos as the puppy was growing up with its siblings; puppy food and a toy.

We have a questions regarding heartworm pills. Should we start our puppy on the pills as soon as we've brought her home (8 weeks old)? or later? A friend recommended Dimmitrol daily for our sheltie, should I get the Small (50mg) or Medium (200mg)?

Our puppies in Victoria are sold for around $950 which includes, Microchipping, Vacc, Eye Testing, Desexing, Puppy Pack, Toy, Limited Registration papers, Food and a booklet with all the history of parents, grandparents, great grandparents ( this is including all Hip and Eye test results)... and of course our phone numbers for 24hr support for the new puppy / owners.

We daily heart worm our dogs with the heart worm found on the super market shelves, we start our babies with a 1/4 tablet ( usually after 1st Vacc) and in crease with age / body weight.

Edited by Owned by Shelties

Our puppies are given their first heartworm by the vet when they have their 1st vacc, after that they are on sentinel spectrum monthly as are the adults as this does heartworm and all others as well.

Any medication will depend on the weight of the pup/dog you need to check the packet for specific directions :mad

Our puppies in Victoria are sold for around $950 which includes, Microchipping, Vacc, Eye Testing, Desexing, Puppy Pack, Toy, Limited Registration papers, Food and a booklet with all the history of parents, grandparents, great grandparents ( this is including all Hip and Eye test results)... and of course our phone numbers for 24hr support for the new puppy / owners.

Do you have any litters planned for next year OBS?

In regards to heartworm medication, please use only the daily or monthly ones as shelties can have a reaction to it. I strongly suggest that you do not use the yearly injection that is available although you may find your vet recommends it. It has been taken off the market in US due to bad reactions by many breeds.

The chemical which is the culprit is generally Ivermectin, but be careful of any prodcut which ends in "ectin" e.g. Advocate contains Moxidectin. I know of 2 shelties who were inadvertently given Advocate recently and had extremely bad reactions.

Thank you for pointing out abt Advocate, I was actually quite interested in this product before =)

Hi, There was a light sable sheltie (tan and white miniature collie – like LASSIE) at Bayside Brisbane today (Wed 12th August)

This dog is LOST, it was in the Wynnum North Dog Park and I have two collies. I approached the dog, expecting to see its owners somewhere but it was alone and at a spot in the fence where the wire was broken at the bottom. We didn't expect her/him to run - I have two collies and they barked and it sent her under the fence and on her way. I tracked her in my car and couldn't manage to get her - she lost me on Tingal Road when she went into the bush opposite Patterson's Feeds. She/he (think it was a she) was groomed and had a Brisbane City council blue tag on. I would also expect her to be microchipped. I am so sorry I didn't hold her - I go to that park everyday and never noticed to wire broken on that section. Please call me on 0407 108 398 if you need more details.