Leaving Puppy Outside

mrs tornsocks

Ok this is going to sound a bit pathetic but when I leave our pup outside (and I'm home), usually when I look out he is just sitting there or standing there sniffing the air. He's a 13 week old lab and I know there's not much I can do about this but I am wondering other than toys, kong etc., how I can help keep him more occupied and playing out there. He has a heaps of toys etc with him.

I know I'll probably be cursing him when he decides to destroy the garden or chew through fly screen doors but I just feel so sorry for him ! :laugh:

I generally try and put him out there for half an hour or so even when I'm at home, just so he feels more comfy when he has to be alone when we're out. He is pretty good and quiet at hanging out on his own.

Is there somewhere he can sleep outside too? A nice warm spot to snuggle to and just be comfy?

Are balls a no no for little labby legs?

Are you feeding him chicken wings/necks small bones yet? Not sure about age? That can make going outside verrrrry exciting!

Is there somewhere he can sleep outside too? A nice warm spot to snuggle to and just be comfy?

Are balls a no no for little labby legs?

Are you feeding him chicken wings/necks small bones yet? Not sure about age? That can make going outside verrrrry exciting!

Yes, he has a kennel which we're hoping he'll utilise when he's a big bigger - but it's got bedding and toys inside - he just doesn't seem to use it too much, I put treats in there to remind him. I have fed him chicken wings and necks but he absolutely gobbles them and I have freaked once or twice about them getting stuck so prefer not to give them to him unattended. I give him big lamb bones occasionally but not every time he's out.

He doesn't have a ball, I could put one out and see how he goes in terms of falling over his legs and keeping his little joints happy.

He seems quite happy out there (no barking/protests etc) but just looks all sad !

At least he's not howling or crying.... that is a sad sound :rofl: , and it's tough to deal with, so you are lucky he's not pulling your heart strings in that way. :laugh: How about getting a sand pit, and hide some dried treats in there, so that he has a place to dig before he even gets the idea to start on the garden. Or you could scatter his lunch around the yard, so that he can amuse himself sniffing around for it. I also remember putting kibble in a empty plastic 2 litre juice bottle, and they will find it most entertaining dragging that around.

Edited by vjb

great ideas vib thanks alot ... the sand pit could be great, he already has a clam swimming pool for warmer months, one half water, one half sand !

And yes, Pandii, lab puppy eyes ??!!! OMG, there is nothing cuter or sadder, depending on the situation :laugh:

He does seem okay and not crying fretting scratching etc. so I'm lucky ... just a little lost soul ...

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Dont feel sad.The more you make yourself seen by the pup the more the pup thinks .

Yes your up will have moments of "not quite knowing" but a pup that can be happy & independant outside & choices to potter around outside is a joy for life.

Just remember you have 12 yrs of dog & its either 12 yrs of nightmares or 12 yrs of joy

I wouldn't worry about him too much. If he's quiet & likes his own company you are lucky. There are plenty of pups/dogs that winge & whine being left alone. Apart from the usual visits to the back yard I would only go out if you think he's into something that he shouldn't. And use the times for a little training to take his mind off what he was doing.

You said your pup has lots of toys out with him. I would only have a couple out at a time & rotate them every couple of days. If he doesn't know what they're have a little game with them to show him what they are about.

he'll be alright... just let him have his quiet time sniffing the air, and stare at the sky.

He is soooo cute when he does this, I'm sure he's thinking many deep thoughts .... :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the tips ... I probably need to add 'value' to the toys and he already had a little play around with his kibble in an empty milk container.

We are very lucky he's a good boy out there, I suppose I'm just being a bit sooky myself.

he'll be alright... just let him have his quiet time sniffing the air, and stare at the sky.

He is soooo cute when he does this, I'm sure he's thinking many deep thoughts .... :thumbsup:

yeah, i'm convince my puppy is daydreaming about leaves.. :)

i think it's common that puppy owners are worry warts... haha

thanks choco's mum ! I just need to find somewhere to hang the toys, we only have fence either side or washing line he'll probably pull over.

BTW what is that yellow thing on the rope, it looks really strong !

If he is quiet ...don't worry! thats not a bad thing :thumbsup:

I have 2 13 week old pups...a lab and a retriever. We have double trouble here :) they are anything but quiet :rofl: Can we swap :cry:

Rexiam I wouldn't say he is quiet - but he's a relatively sensible lab even at this age so we're very lucky !! But then he doesn't have a naughty companion to egg him on like yours do :rofl:

- have you got any updated photos of your two ? I remember that gorgeous shot of them in the back of the ute. Here is our Archie after a little swim in the clam shell yesterday .... I tried to take a shot of him 'dreaming' by himself today but he saw me out the window

IMG_1611.jpg

thanks choco's mum ! I just need to find somewhere to hang the toys, we only have fence either side or washing line he'll probably pull over.

BTW what is that yellow thing on the rope, it looks really strong !

Mrs TS that yellow thing is a $2.. dog tyre from cheap as chips....all the toys i get are from there...When he really starts to chew ill be spending the $$$ for durable toys or even horse toys...At present he just throws them around.....I was also told go-cart tyres are great for the labs....

Would hanging the toys up be good for our little beagle? She doesnt like being outside by herself at all lol... Screams and crys. Shes getting better though. The MAX she is ever left outside is 3 hours and only 2 times a week.

Would hanging the toys up be good for our little beagle? She doesnt like being outside by herself at all lol... Screams and crys. Shes getting better though. The MAX she is ever left outside is 3 hours and only 2 times a week.

ben it took us quite a while of 'practice' for our boy to be happy outside. In the first week we got him, i gave him time outside even when we were there - for the occasions we have to leave him at home alone. Started with 10 mins, built up gradually and he's now used to it (remember he is a few weeks older than your girl though so is alot more comfy in his surroundings and very used to be away from his litter).

Ok great, thanks for that. She LOVES going outside and the yard is actually pretty safe for her so i think we might not lock her in her play pen anymore when we go out as its very small. Only time she begins to cry is when she realises shes locked outside. But i bought some chicken necks yesterday so we will try those on monday. Shes asleep on my chest at the moment snoring away haha. We are taking her to pup preschool today.

Ben