(uk) Eleventh Hour Mercy Plea To Save Death Row Dog Bruce

shel

Wow. This actually made me burst into tears.

Eleventh Hour Mercy Plea to Save Death Row Dog Bruce

Dog lovers around the world have reacted in horror to the recent news that the high profile case of pet dog “Bruce” may finally be over as a court orders he be destroyed in a few days time ending an exhaustive twenty one month battle to save him.

Bruce was a young Staffordshire Bull Terrier living happily with his family in Northern Ireland. On September 19th 2007 Bruce was seized by council officials as an alleged “pit bull type” and taken to secluded kennels whilst his owner was taken to court for owning a banned type of dog contrary to the Dangerous Dogs Act (Northern Ireland) Order 1991.

Whilst incarcerated in kennels his family were allowed to visit their dog in October 2007, Bruce had lost weight, muscle tone and had an open cut to his muzzle. Five months later Bruce was allowed a second visit from his family in March 2008, they were shocked with what they found: The wound on Bruce’s muzzle was larger, weeping and had become infected, he tail had been amputated due to damage and infection, he had open pressure sores, was underweight and looked totally broken and rejected, yet despite the clear pain he was in, is described by experts as being a friendly dog that poses no danger to the public.

Bruce hasn’t actually ever put a paw wrong; he is sentenced to death due to the way he looks and the fact that NI has a mandatory death penalty unlike the rest of the UK who gave the courts discretion when sentencing twelve years ago.

Bruce and his family have endured much mental and physical anguish and pain solely due to a draconian law. His owner is simply a young dog owner who has been struggling for nearly two years to save her dogs life.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rhapsodical78

Ok I just watched the video and I am outraged, saddened and disgusted. What dog, regardless of breed or even deed deserves 2 years of mental and physical torture? How can this be allowed to happen? BSL is sick.

Guest rhapsodical78

This post prompted me consider the prospect of a National protest against BSL. I have written a post about this in the main forum if anyone is interested in showing their support.

Horrifying. I can't imagine what i would do or how i would feel if someone just showed up and tried to take one of my dogs, let alone seeing the condition of the dog months later like that. And now they're going to kill him :cooldance:

CROSS POSTING

Please voice your opinion, the more the better.

Please contact the USPCA, the major animal welfare body in ireland. Contact email is

[email protected]

Template below or feel free to use your own email. As you can imagine this is a very important area to contact so please crosspost as much as possible and ask everyone you know to contact them.

Dear USPCA

I am writing to you with regard to a travesty about to occur in Northern Ireland and to beg you to intervene and help save a life.

The life in question belongs to Bruce, a young Staffordshire Bull Terrier who was living happily with his family in Northern Ireland. On September 19th 2007 Bruce was seized by council officials as an alleged "pit bull type" and taken to secluded kennels whilst his owner was taken to court for owning a banned type of dog.

While incarcerated in kennels his family were allowed to visit Bruce in October 2007, Bruce had lost weight, muscle and had a cut to his muzzle. Five months later Bruce was allowed a second visit from his family in March 2008, they were shocked with what they found: The wound on Bruce's muzzle was larger and had become infected, he had to have his tail amputated, had open sores, was underweight and looked totally rejected, yet despite the clear pain he was in, is described by experts as being a friendly dog that poses no danger to the public. In a desperate attempt to save Bruce, owner Shannon Brown, supporters and neighbours have created petitions and videos resulting in worldwide support to "Bring Bruce Home".

Northern Ireland has not adopted the 1997 Amendment Act as in England, Scotland and Wales, despite being proposed several times, thus meaning any dog deemed to be "pit bull type" cannot be entered onto the Index of Exempted Dogs. If the proposal had been accepted in Northern Ireland, as with the rest of the UK, Bruce would have been home long before now, alive and well registered on the Index of Exempted Dogs. Northern Ireland is however currently considering legislative change but this is not likely to be achieved in time to save Bruce.

If Bruce lived in Southern Ireland where no breeds are nationally banned he would never have been seized at all. Bruce has been offered a place of safety with a reputable rescue in Southern Ireland where he could legally live out the rest of his life, this offer has been conveyed to the solicitor but has sadly not been accepted by the court.

Please help Bruce and intervene to allow Bruce the chance of life by refusing to destroy a happy friendly dog. This is all that is needed. I am sure that you are aware of how emotionally committed good owners are to their pets. Dogs are part of our families as much as children. Please spare Bruce's owner the further trauma of having to see Bruce destroyed so needlessly. Please add your voice to help save Bruce and allow a blameless animal the chance of life.

We claim to be a nation of animal lovers, surely now it is time to prove it? I await your response.

Yours faithfully

This Is just tragic, beyond words :love:

D

Emails were sent earlier to all the addresses. All of these poor innocent dogs and their families..........it's just disgraceful. And this one looks a lot like my boy.

Hopes and prayers for Bruce and his family.

Edited by sumosmum

Yet to hear any updates, but did get one reply from e-mails I've sent, so the message Is getting across

Thank you for your email to Mr McFarland with regard to the plight of Shannon-Leah Brown and her pet dog Bruce.

Mr McFarland sympathizes with Ms Brown. However having made enquiries with colleagues in North Down Borough Council he has been told that the decision lies solely with the Courts and it would prove difficult to interfere with the legal process. However, Mr McFarland will speak to other Assembly Colleagues to see if anything can be done to help Bruce's situation.

Kind regards

Pamela

Pamela Stewart

PA/Alan McFarland MLA

Northern Ireland Assembly

Room 303

Parliament Buildings

Stormont

Belfast BT4 3XX

Tel: +44 28 90521861

Fax: +44 28 90521768

email: [email protected]

That poor dog :laugh: Is it too late to send emails? I only just saw this :laugh:

Sad thing is, as much as i would want to fight for my dogs, if i knew they would be kept like that, i would rather them PTS :cheer:

Wow. This actually made me burst into tears.
Eleventh Hour Mercy Plea to Save Death Row Dog Bruce

Dog lovers around the world have reacted in horror to the recent news that the high profile case of pet dog “Bruce” may finally be over as a court orders he be destroyed in a few days time ending an exhaustive twenty one month battle to save him.

Bruce was a young Staffordshire Bull Terrier living happily with his family in Northern Ireland. On September 19th 2007 Bruce was seized by council officials as an alleged “pit bull type” and taken to secluded kennels whilst his owner was taken to court for owning a banned type of dog contrary to the Dangerous Dogs Act (Northern Ireland) Order 1991.

Whilst incarcerated in kennels his family were allowed to visit their dog in October 2007, Bruce had lost weight, muscle tone and had an open cut to his muzzle. Five months later Bruce was allowed a second visit from his family in March 2008, they were shocked with what they found: The wound on Bruce’s muzzle was larger, weeping and had become infected, he tail had been amputated due to damage and infection, he had open pressure sores, was underweight and looked totally broken and rejected, yet despite the clear pain he was in, is described by experts as being a friendly dog that poses no danger to the public.

Bruce hasn’t actually ever put a paw wrong; he is sentenced to death due to the way he looks and the fact that NI has a mandatory death penalty unlike the rest of the UK who gave the courts discretion when sentencing twelve years ago.

Bruce and his family have endured much mental and physical anguish and pain solely due to a draconian law. His owner is simply a young dog owner who has been struggling for nearly two years to save her dogs life.

I just cannot believe this. am speechless. so wrong.euthanasia is wrong here too but better than this torture. These people/courts/councils, every system involved should be tortured and fined and punished for this cruel act - leave the dog alone. I just cannot believe it. human beings are the assholes of the earth and will always be... :laugh: :laugh: :cheer: