Classes To Prepare For Dog Shows?

blithespirit

Hello all,

I'm hoping you can offer me some advice as I am finding the notion of my first dog show very intimidating.

My obedience trainer mentioned that there are classes you can take which help you and your dog learn what you'll need to do (standing for inspection, walking on lead, etc). I wondered if anyone here could recommend such a class? Prefer south of the city as I'm in inner south Melbourne (Elwood), but I expect I'll need to travel a bit.

My golden retriever is now nearly 11 months old. He's the first dog I've owned and trained myself - my parents used to show their dogs but I was a kid and wasn't involved in any of the hard work! I have been doing obedience classes with him, but they are just focused on normal behaviour rather than show behaviour.

Would appreciate being pointed towards some classes aimed at showing your dog.

Thanks,

blithe

Edited by blithespirit

Have you contacted your breeder for some guidance? That would be the best place to start.

Have you signed up as a member of Dogs Victoria (Victorina Canine Association)? As you need to be a member to exhibit your dog. They also run show training classes. I can't remember the details but if you contact them or have a search around their website you will find what you are looking for. Dogs Vic Website

Have you signed up as a member of Dogs Victoria (Victorina Canine Association)? As you need to be a member to exhibit your dog. They also run show training classes. I

They do? who told you that? Where is the info?

Have you signed up as a member of Dogs Victoria (Victorina Canine Association)? As you need to be a member to exhibit your dog. They also run show training classes. I

They do? who told you that? Where is the info?

puggy, can you please expand on the information you have posted?

Gareth, I think what Puggy posted is pretty self explanatory!! ;)

You have to be a member of your state organisation to show a dog.

The canine assoc of that state runs show training - usually once a week - most local Kennel Clubs also have show training.

Puggy provided a link to the Dogs Victoria website so that the OP can check it out.

What don't you understand?? :love:

Gareth, I think what Puggy posted is pretty self explanatory!! ;)

You have to be a member of your state organisation to show a dog.

The canine assoc of that state runs show training - usually once a week - most local Kennel Clubs also have show training.

Puggy provided a link to the Dogs Victoria website so that the OP can check it out.

What don't you understand?? :love:

Thanks. I can read.

Puggy tells us that Dogs Vic runs show training. I want the details, as this is the first I have heard of it.

It was quite clear what I was questioning (unless you somehow missed the bolded bit).

Puggy provided the link but doesn't know the details!

No need to have a go Gareth....I didn't miss the bolded part of the query but yes, it was unclear, which is why I asked which part you didn't understand.....are you also interested in the show training? ;)

Dogs Vic might not necessarily run the show classes themselves but they will know where the classes are held or who to contact to find out! :love:

Alternatively, you or the OP might like to post in the Showring and there's bound to be someone Victorian in there who knows where to go and who to contact. ;)

No need to have a go Gareth....I didn't miss the bolded part of the query but yes, it was unclear, which is why I asked which part you didn't understand.....are you also interested in the show training? ;)

Dogs Vic might not necessarily run the show classes themselves but they will know where the classes are held or who to contact to find out! :love:

Not sure how you found the question unclear as I made it plain as day, and I am not having a go at anyone, despite your condesending attitude towards me.

If puggy doesn't know details, or even if these classes exist, why would puggy say they do??? The OP could be sent on a wild goose chase.

Interesting that puggy is unable to speak for his/her self ;)

Hi Blithespirit-

I know of two conformation trainers - one is Ashley Reid (who works near KCC) and the other is Peter Frost (not the VCA President, another Peter FrostLOL) who works out of Bulla. I have been to both and they are both very good, although different in their approaches! Peter runs a group session (wed night) as well as personal training, Ashley I know does the one on one but I'm not sure when he does groups. If you contact the VCA you can get info from them, or else PM and I'll dig up the details.

Oh, just to check you need to be a member of the VCA to show, and your pup needs to be on the main register.

As for anything else, make sure you enjoy yourself and have fun!

:love:

Edited by lappiemum

I've been to both as an absolute beginner, and both were very good to work with. Peter did more about canine behaviour and psychology (a bit like the ceaser thing really), while I did a lot more running with Ashley! Either way i recommend that you see both and decide what suits your learning style.

:laugh:

Ashley Reid at Clyde has group classes on Tuesday nights at 7 pm as well as one on one private sessions (www.showclasses.com.au) or I believe Lee Cogley takes classes at KCC Park on Thursday nights (check with VCA).

• 4 months later...