2yr Old Desexed Male Rottweiler

Hi All,

Friends of mine have just been given 2 dogs from a relative of theirs - a 2yr old Rotti boy and a BCxKelpie girl of about the same age.

My friend asked me to go out there and assess them for her and give my thoughts on whether they need anything in particular.In my opinion the Rotti boy is a bit underweight so I said this to her straight up and asked what he's being fed - she told me the previous owners had written down their diet for her & mentioned chicken necks every 2nd day and told me that he's on a special dry food as he gets a skin allergy.(I can't remember the name of it for the life of me but it starts with 'C' I'm sure). There was no evidence of any allergy so I'm figuring its under control but I honestly don't think he's getting enough of anything for his size as he curves in toward his hips quite a bit. :)

My friends are not short of money and will not spare cost on whatever he needs so I'd like suggestions on what is best for this boy remembering his apparent skin allergy must be considered.

I'm glad the dogs are now with my friends as the Rotti boy didn't even recognise grade 1 liver treats made by a local butcher that I took with out there with me. :laugh:

The BCxKelpie girl on the other hand looks great so whatever their food is suits the metabolism of a working dog much better..

If indeed the dog does need to carry more weight, given that he has allergies I would simply stick to what he normally gets but increase the amount.

Maybe the previous owners kept him light for a reason (joints?).

Chicken necks are pretty low in calories, if the skin isn't on them (which it usually isn't). If he can tolerate necks, he could possibly tolerate chicken wings instead, which are much higher in calories than necks due to the skin and the fat in the wing tips? I guess it depends exactly what it is that he's allergic/intolerant to. Chicken backs or carcasses would be higher in calories than necks too, if there's still some skin left on the back when they are fed.

Canned fish, lamb flaps, fatty cuts of muscle meat, and lamb hearts are other raw foods that are reasonably high in kJ too, but depends if he can tolerate them?

Edited by Staranais

I would suggest getting them weighed at a vets and finding out exactly how underweight they are. No offence meant, but time and time again I see healthy weight dogs and people telling the owners that they are too thin.

Got any photos of the boy in question? :laugh:

if he has allergies- can your friend obtain this info from his previous owners or the treating Vet?Then they will know exactly what they are dealing with- and can prepare food accordingly .

I would suggest feeding a rottie whole chicken frames- they have BIG mouths- and my worry would be gulping smaller bits...He could easily handle a whole frame :o