Ndtf Distance Course

I've done a search on the forum and read all the threads I could find but I'm wanting to hear more from people who've done the NDTF cert three course in dog training and behaviour, preferably by distance.

I am really interested in doing the course sometime in the next year - not to become a dog trainer but more for my benefit. Is it worth doing if you just want to expand your own knowledge and improve your handling skills? Or is it more for people who work with dogs professionally and want to become qualified trainers?

Also, how do people who've done it by distance find the course? Do you feel like you miss out on a bit compared to people who do it face to face? Do you still get a lot from the two block sessions of prac work?

Edited by huski

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done it yet but really want to do it at some point. I have heard alot of good feedback about it though!

Me too, which is why I'm really keen to know more :laugh:

I'm not 100% sure on what the dates intakes are for students wanting to do the distance course are, but I'm thinking early next year might be the right timing for me.

I have just returned from my second block course on Saturday (doing distance) and loved every minute of it.

It is a lot of work but would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

I have 3 dogs of my own and work full time for rescue. I found it beneficial in both areas.

AND of course I got to meet and train with the lovely Lord Midol. What a legend!

huski - you can always crash at my place for the block sessions, I live 2 mins up the road from where its held. Who knows I might be doing it at the same time!

Will definitely take you up on the offer Pooey if I do the course, especially with that gorgeous Field pup in your sig :):thumbsup:

huski - you can always crash at my place for the block sessions, I live 2 mins up the road from where its held. Who knows I might be doing it at the same time!

Will definitely take you up on the offer Pooey if I do the course, especially with that gorgeous Field pup in your sig :):thumbsup:

Yeah well I definitely do want to do it at some stage just depends on the monetary situation.

Uhoh you're going to steal Morgie!

I did the distance learner course, finished in June and am waiting to see if I have passed :o

I flew over from Perth to Melbourne for the two block training sessions. There were a few hiccups, one still waiting to have assignments sent back from months ago-have results though, but overall I was happy with how things were conducted and really enjoyed the course, the experience has definately boosted my knowledge :thumbsup: We had a prison detection dog handler, council ranger and an RSPCA obedience instructor in our group so people come from a wide range of backgrounds and experience. I had previously done obedience,agility with my dogs and had a little knowledge of behavioural theory and drives in dog training but doing the course really filled in the gaps and gave a me a solid foundation to continue on with I hope ;)

Will definitely take you up on the offer Pooey if I do the course, especially with that gorgeous Field pup in your sig :eat::sleep:

Yeah well I definitely do want to do it at some stage just depends on the monetary situation.

You and me both!

And it's all good - Bec can stay with me since I'm right near there too.... she already has a dog exactly like Zero, she doesn't need another one :rofl:

I did the distance learner course, finished in June and am waiting to see if I have passed :rofl:

Email them, i cant believe how slow they can be with getting things assessed and sent back. I know someone who didnt pass the first assessment, and got it sent back months and months later saying they had to fix it up. She had never heard from them, so thought it was ok. And i have heard of others with the same problem!

You and me both!

And it's all good - Bec can stay with me since I'm right near there too.... she already has a dog exactly like Zero, she doesn't need another one :rofl:

Hehe, how on Earth could I decide between Morgan and Zero cuddles??? :eat:

Having talked to some other NDTF students about it, I think I might do my block weeks in Melbourne not Sydney. Sorry guys! :sleep:

Having talked to some other NDTF students about it, I think I might do my block weeks in Melbourne not Sydney. Sorry guys! :)

may i ask why???

Just the feedback that I've gotten, I know a few people who have done the Melbourne block training and loved it, and people who have done the Sydney block training and feel they didn't get as much out of it as those who did it in Melbourne.

Can anyone that has done the distance course please tell me which units are studied in the first 2-3 months?

Is it the 4 general "RUV210*A" units -

Provide Food & Water;

OH&S;

Workplace Communication;

Basic First Aid

?

The reason I ask is that I would get RPL for those units.. and if I enrol this year, I will still be finishing another (fairly intense) course.. so if these are studied first (meaning I wont have to do them) then that wont be a problem.. (I can just do the training block and then get stuck into the rest of the course (the behaviour and training units) in 2010).