Ndtf Distance Course

Midnightmint ..... have you tried putting this question to NDTF? They would be the best ones to ask about RPL I think? Or have you put it to them but awaiting a response?

No, I just feel like I've been asking them a million questions and don't want to seem like an annoying pest, before I'm even properly enrolled :laugh:

I rang yesterday and the appropriate person wasnt in, anyway.. I'm still waiting for an email back from her (only from 2 days ago, though) about something else..

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh thats very handy to know that they would considering RPL. I have done a degree previously so I'm guessing I would have some RPL up my sleeve.

I found a thread where someone else said that they sought RPL for some of the units, because they'd done a Vet Nursing (TAFE) course.. but NDTF knocked them back (on the RPL) because they said their units were SLIGHTLY different. Not sure if that may be the case with your uni degree as well (even though the uni degree subjects are probably more in-depth!).

The modules I just finished studying at TAFE are those EXACT same unit numbers though, so I don't think they COULD knock me back on RPL..

I'm still waiting to hear from them about how to upgrade from the Professional Dog Trainers Course I did with them in 2000 to the Cert III course - it has been a year now :laugh: and I email them regularly to ask. First response was that they wouldn't recognise the other course at all for RPL and I would have to do it again, most recent was more positive but haven't heard anything concrete yet about what I have to do.

Damn you serious? It irks me when they don't acknowledge RPL because the units aren't identical, especially when I've got 4 years of study done thats probably more in depth. Oh well.

Well they sent me the RPL application form (30 pages in total.. diff pages for the diff units) and it looks like you can at least TRY to get RPL for general life experience, other courses etc.

I just know that someone else in another thread said they got knocked back (when they did a vet nursing course). Surprised me, because the vet nursing modules should be pretty in-depth... more so than what they offer (the RUV modules appear to be mostly Cert II level.. ie RUV2107A).

Ahh thats very handy to know that they would considering RPL. I have done a degree previously so I'm guessing I would have some RPL up my sleeve.

Not directly related to the NDTF course, but I was enquiring about the Delta Cert IV course earlier in the year. I asked about RPL for that course (having a BVSc and a post grad certificate in Behavioural Medicine). I couldn't get any RPL (even for first aid and animal care) because I'd not done any equivalent modules at TAFE like the vet nursing Cert IV.

Not directly related to the NDTF course, but I was enquiring about the Delta Cert IV course earlier in the year. I asked about RPL for that course (having a BVSc and a post grad certificate in Behavioural Medicine). I couldn't get any RPL (even for first aid and animal care) because I'd not done any equivalent modules at TAFE like the vet nursing Cert IV.

What chance has anyone got if you can't get it??? :confused:

By crickey. :happydance::happydance::happydance::shhh:

What chance has anyone got if you can't get it??? :happydance:

Well I think if you have a list of matching dot points you have a much better chance than if you only have 'assumed knowledge' as I do.

I know that when we did the health/first aid modules the Cert IV Vet Nurses had free time, I would imagine it was the same for Vets, after all two of the tutors are Vets. I think you'd be better off emailing Dr Gaille Perry about that one rather than speaking to the administrators. I can't imagine that she would say you'd need to do those modules, if there was a reason I'm sure she would explain it.

The same applied for one of the modules that related to class taking, everyone with a qualification in Workplace Training were exempt. :happydance:

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I know that when we did the health/first aid modules the Cert IV Vet Nurses had free time, I would imagine it was the same for Vets, after all two of the tutors are Vets. I think you'd be better off emailing Dr Gaille Perry about that one rather than speaking to the administrators. I can't imagine that she would say you'd need to do those modules, if there was a reason I'm sure she would explain it.

The same applied for one of the modules that related to class taking, everyone with a qualification in Workplace Training were exempt. ;)

Mel.

Interesting.

At this point I haven't pursued it further, mainly because I don't know what I want to do when I grow up, not because of any issues with the admin staff :laugh: Nice to know that there is a little leniency for pushing and shoving :D

I was considering the Delta course, then cramming for a Membership but I just don't know. Currently leaning towards a Masters instead. Just dunno :laugh:

The same applied for one of the modules that related to class taking, everyone with a qualification in Workplace Training were exempt. ;)

Mel.

Interesting.

At this point I haven't pursued it further, mainly because I don't know what I want to do when I grow up, not because of any issues with the admin staff :laugh: Nice to know that there is a little leniency for pushing and shoving :D

I was considering the Delta course, then cramming for a Membership but I just don't know. Currently leaning towards a Masters instead. Just dunno :laugh:

Perhaps you can ask if you can "pass out", Rappie - by that I mean ask if you can go and sit the exam to prove to them you don't need to actually do the paper? They offer this option at my university for people who think they have enough prior knowledge not to need to do the course.

Are you thinking of studying to become a veterinary behaviourist, or just wanting to add another string to your bow? ;)

RTOs are required to offer and assess both RPL and RPE. In the simplest of terms I believe RPL is a direct credit transfer ie you have previously completed that same module and are granted credit upon proof. If that isn't the case you are still able to apply for Recognition of Prior Experience where you can give evidence as to why you meet the criteria for assessment against specific modules. If a registered training organisation refuses to assess you for either RPL or RPE you can complain to OTTE.

Are you thinking of studying to become a veterinary behaviourist, or just wanting to add another string to your bow? :laugh:

Not sure.

Further study for the Membership (of the Australian College of Veterinary Scientists - it's like a general practitioner level recognition of advanced skills, not a board specialty) allows use of the title 'Veterinary Behaviourist. I get a great deal of use out of the study that I've done, but I would need to broaden it and knuckle down to sit the exams for Membership in June 2010. I'm not sure I have the time or inclination right now and I would only barely be eligible to do them anyway in terms of time since graduation. I've spent the last 3.5 years doing 50-60 hour weeks (not including all the catch up etc at home), I'm not sure whether I can do intense self directed study at the same time.

I'm leaning towards the Masters in Small Animal Practice instead - thats 'advanced' general practice with the additional benefit of having interest and knowledge in behaviour.

I don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to scan a copy of their NDTF certificate and statement of units of competency, so I can see what it looks like?

The reason I ask.. is that I was talking to a TAFE (Animal Science) teacher today.... I showed them a list of the NDTF units offered.. and they think that half of the subjects (the units that start with "VBN") are not nationally recognised.. maybe just recognised within VIC. The other units ("RUV..") are nationally recognised.. but I have already done them.

I don't really want to enrol in the course if all the units arent recognised nationally or at least in NSW.

I tried researching on the internet tonight (VETAB website, NTIS website) but didnt really find anything that was in simple enough terms to know if the course is nationally recognised or not. The NTIS website said it is "Accredited in VIC". I dont know if they mean that's just where it was registered (because the NDTF office is in VIC) or if the course is only recognised there.

I don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to scan a copy of their NDTF certificate and statement of units of competency, so I can see what it looks like?

The reason I ask.. is that I was talking to a TAFE (Animal Science) teacher today.... I showed them a list of the NDTF units offered.. and they think that half of the subjects (the units that start with "VBN") are not nationally recognised.. maybe just recognised within VIC. The other units ("RUV..") are nationally recognised.. but I have already done them.

sure can, if i ever get it :laugh:

Been waiting a few weeks and nothing yet, my TAFE teacher also wants to see it, so she can work out what units i dont have to do for the animal studies coursei am siging up for.