Kennel Cough Vaccination Booster

I have looked and I am sure the answer is here already but for the life of me, I just can't find it.

My puppy is seven months old and is being desexed today. The vet surgery called and asked me if I wanted them to give him his booster for kennel cough. I had been told that he was up to date with his vaccinations and the booster wasn't mentioned on his vac'n card. I am told that he should have had a booster after his 12 week shot.

Wondering if there are any opinions re this? Also, would it be quite safe to give on the same day as a GA?

Thanks.

Edited by mrmac

Also, would it be quite safe to give on the same day as a GA?

IMO - no. But then again there's thousands of rescue dogs out there that get neutered/vaccinated/defleaed/dewormed all on the same day and make it just fine.

KC is the canine equivalent of the flu - in other words there's lots of strains of it and it's not generally speaking life-threatening. The vaccination doesn't cover all the strains but some say that a vaccinated dog, if it gets KC, will be less affected by it.

Your call, me I wouldn't have had the KC vaccination in the first place.

How's that for a helpful unequivocal answer :laugh:

I wouldn't desex and vaccinate at the same time.

However he would not be due for any vaccinations again until he's around 14 months, depending on when his last puppy vacc was administered.

ETA: I don't vaccinate for KC, it's pointless

Edited by PPS

Thank you. I am not very experienced but thought that it didn't sound OK. Will chat to the vet about it. Am wanting to titre test from now where appropriate. My first impression is that they aren't too keen on that plan.

I work in a vet clinic in NZ and usually we only vaccinate pups for KC at their 9 or 12 week vacc and then they dont need a booster till they're approx 15 months (a year after their last vacc). We vaccinate dogs quite often while they're under anaesthetic with no side effects- we just can't give a KC vacc if the dog is on antibiotics

Are they talking of a live KC vaccine or a dormant vaccination?

In both cases the vaccination usually takes a couple of weeks to build up to full strength.

It is possible the live virus can be transmitted to other dogs during the incubation period. It is a bit like the human flu, some people have the shot to ward off the evil spirits (prevent) and end up getting the virus. Dogs are no different.

Our boy is due for his final vacc this week and the vet doesn't automatically vaccinate for kennel cough. I have heard a few different things so now I'm confused ! There's a chance we'll put him in kennels down the track.

I have recently done mine for kennel cough for the first time in about 15 years. I once had a dog have a really bad reaction to the KC vaccine and then got kennel cough anyway. As I was showing my dogs regularly but not kennelling them the vet though they would probably be building natural immunity anyway and advised not to bother with the vaccine. The normal KC vaccine given by injection needs two doses initially, usually given at 12 and 16 weeks, followed by yearly boosters.

I have not shown my dogs over the past year and was heading off on a holiday with them and thought I may need to leave them in a kennel for part of a day while going to places they were not allowed. They must be vaccinated to go into a kennel and I only thought of this the week before we left. After discussion with the vet again she thought using the nasal spray vaccine which takes effect in a few days and only needs one dose, would be a good idea so that I would have the kennel option on the holiday. We used the nasal vaccine with no ill effects but did not end up using any kennels on the trip but I will probably use the nasal vaccine again in future years.

Rescue puppies get everything done at once but I would not desex and vaccinate together if I had the choice to separate them.

No - I wouldn't. Dog's immune system is going to be busy healing the surgical wound and recovering. I wouldn't want to bombard the immune system further by making it deal simultaneously with combating Canine Cough by production of anti-bodies.

Mind you ..... I don't vaccinate for Canine Cough anyway.

We used the nasal vaccine with no ill effects but did not end up using any kennels on the trip but I will probably use the nasal vaccine again in future years.

You need to be careful about using the nasal vaccine. I'm not a fan.

We used the nasal vaccine with no ill effects but did not end up using any kennels on the trip but I will probably use the nasal vaccine again in future years.

You need to be careful about using the nasal vaccine. I'm not a fan.

Why? :laugh:

Edited by neatz

I would like to know why you are against it as well.

My dogs both had it last year, and had no problems, Kaos gets reactions to the needle, but was fine with the nasal.

Saying that, they were only vaccinated because i had to have them at work, they wont be done again unless i need to kennel them again!