6 Month Old Lab Is Huge!

pinktasha

Hi guys

We have a 6 month old Black Lab and I've noticed that he is quite large, actually huge compared to other labs near his age. A friend of ours has a 5 month old and Odin is nearly 4 times the size..he looks like he is a full grown adult.

Is this normal with labs that they can have huge growth spurts? We have had him for nearly 2 months now and he was big when we got him, but he just seems to be overly big compared to other dogs.

I feed him optimum puppy formula dry biscuits, and 1 tin of the optimum puppy wet food at night. So he is not overeating, I don't let him eat any of our food, only apples here and there, or raw vegies when im cooking dinner.

Im just worried that he will keep growing into a horse or something hahaha

Thanks guys

this photo is of him on the 26th June.

26062009014.jpg

Okay the first thing to always consider is there are many Labs out there that are under size,short legged & when you get one that is correct size it can look huge.

Your pup could very well be normal or simply a big pup who will grow into a substanial male but like others your breeder would now best.

Was that the diet the breeder suggested??

I would scrape the tin food .waste of money & expensive.

If ytour pup is going through abig growth stage then keep an eye on his growth plates because the wrong diet at this stage can be a disaster

thanks for the info guys.

We didn't get him from a breeder, I got him from a girl who was looking after him after the original owner lost their house, So she really didn't have much idea on his past etc.

We were just giving him the dry food. But he just seemed so hungry and was constantly sniffing out any food he could find, So I started with the tin food and he seems more content.

Im booking him in at the vet for desexing soon so I guess they will be able to help me out with a diet plan for him.

I will take a few more photos tomorrow to show you all. I just freaked out today when I saw my sons friends pup who is so so much smaller...

and sorry but what are growth plates? lol :thumbsup: