Raw/natural Chitchat

Those of you who supplement with omega oils do you just get the capsules??

I am using a mix of omega 3, 6, 9 that i just squirt on her food.

I normally feed mince so i can mix the oils and powder stuff into it.

Though i thought i should just feed chunks of meat so she has to tear at it more.

I might just get a bit of mince like 100g for her powder though and then give her chunks of muscle meat instead of mince.

I used to give her fish oil capsules and she used to just break them open with her teeth and then munch away on the capsule :D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you who supplement with omega oils do you just get the capsules??

I am using a mix of omega 3, 6, 9 that i just squirt on her food.

I normally feed mince so i can mix the oils and powder stuff into it.

Though i thought i should just feed chunks of meat so she has to tear at it more.

I might just get a bit of mince like 100g for her powder though and then give her chunks of muscle meat instead of mince.

I used to give her fish oil capsules and she used to just break them open with her teeth and then munch away on the capsule :D

I only add Omega 3,as Fish or now I solely use Krill oil capsules,it's 47 times more absorbable than Omegas from Fish!

Dogs get enough 6 and 9 in their food,esepcially if it is grain fed. So personally I would'nt add a 3 6 9 blend. Too much 6 and 9 will lead to more inflammtory processes in the body and we are giving Omega to try and reduce this.

:)

Hi all :)

I think I've just found the best dog feeding forum around! I won't post it here (DOL rules) but please PM me if you'd like the link.

I still think that raw/natural is best for MY dogs, and the forum embraces all types of feeding based on the needs of the INDIVIDUAL dog, not one generic 'one size fits all' recipe. They approach it from a nutritional standpoint whether that be raw, cooked, commercial or a combination, and it's run by a highly respected canine nutritionist.

I've spent most of the day looking through the files and had that lovely 'ah ha' moment where the confusion I've felt from reading other groups' (sometimes strict/fanatical) theories literally lifted away :mad:)

I'm now very happy and confident with what I'm doing for my own dogs :D :eek:

Just wanted to share the love :mad:mad

Tomas,

Thanks for that feedback, even if a dog is not really getting grains more than say 2 or 3 times a week or not at all you believe there is enough 6 & 9 in their diet?

As for inflammatory processes can you please elaborate on that?

With the Krill oil I like the sound of it! Might even get some for myself :D

What potency do you give and how many do you give for your 40-ish kg dog? :)

Tomas,

Thanks for that feedback, even if a dog is not really getting grains more than say 2 or 3 times a week or not at all you believe there is enough 6 & 9 in their diet?

As for inflammatory processes can you please elaborate on that?

With the Krill oil I like the sound of it! Might even get some for myself :D

What potency do you give and how many do you give for your 40-ish kg dog? :)

Hi oonga,

Sorry I did'nt word that very well,I meant if the meat you are feeding has been grain fed,most US meat is ,in NZ and Oz some of our meat is ,and unless you buy free range chicken it is grain fed. Not grass fed etc etc.

I mean 6 and 9 are inflammatory parts of Omegas...google that. Just write omega 6 and 9 inflammatory in google and read at your leisure.

Krill Oil costs! More than fish oil. However, you can get away with less, probably about 1/4 less than fish oil. I would recommend UP to about 4-6 of the 500 mg krill oil capsules daily for a 40 kg dog. Not cheap, but good!

Midlife 30kg dogs I have get 2-3 krill caps a day,I actually worked up to 4-6 caps and went back down to 3 or so as I did'nt notice much difference feeding way more. I started on 1 a day for a week then 2 thehn 3 etc etc,just to fiund what worked and also to make sure they had no allergies to shrimp.

Again google krill oil dog dosage and you will get pages of info! I google everything I need to know!

I also started on krill myself ,I was up to 15 fish caps a day and that was a pain!

Tomas.

OMG 15 capsules a day :mad :mad :):eek:

I noticed that it said 1 per day for human dosage that is for arthritis treatment i think it was more for cholesterol?

can't remember what i read now :)

I will go and google those things now :D

Yes i did notice that Krill oil is significantly more expensive than fish oil, but if its a good product then i guess the extra expense is worth it :mad

OMG 15 capsules a day :mad :mad :):eek:

I noticed that it said 1 per day for human dosage that is for arthritis treatment i think it was more for cholesterol?

can't remember what i read now :)

I will go and google those things now :D

Yes i did notice that Krill oil is significantly more expensive than fish oil, but if its a good product then i guess the extra expense is worth it :mad

It's that krill is SO much more absorbable and reflux free without adding anything to it to make it so.

Heaps of info out there so well worth a read.

Yeah I take a lot of fish,most of the recomendations for Omega 3 for people is just way too low to do anything,again google that and you will find people taking huge amounts. I have to say that the krill is easier to take,very small caps and really does seem worth the extra expense,my skin is better and it was'nt bad before.

Plus my boys coats are EVEN softer and again they had great coats before. On a Vizsla you can see any lump opr bump as they have no undercoat.

Here is a good link to start with http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncateg.../why-krill-oil/

Wow what an awesome thread! :D

I have been feeding raw for quite a while and my two absolutely love it. That's the main reason I feed them raw because they seem to really really enjoy it and also because it makes poop pickup so much easier (and more pleasant!...well as pleasant as an unpleasant task can be anyways! :))

When I first started I did the whole weighing out exact portions and everything but I'm much more casual with it now! In fact reading the fabulous menus some of you guys are putting together is making me feel positively ashamed! :mad

Hi all :mad

I think I've just found the best dog feeding forum around! I won't post it here (DOL rules) but please PM me if you'd like the link.

I still think that raw/natural is best for MY dogs, and the forum embraces all types of feeding based on the needs of the INDIVIDUAL dog, not one generic 'one size fits all' recipe. They approach it from a nutritional standpoint whether that be raw, cooked, commercial or a combination, and it's run by a highly respected canine nutritionist.

I've spent most of the day looking through the files and had that lovely 'ah ha' moment where the confusion I've felt from reading other groups' (sometimes strict/fanatical) theories literally lifted away :cheer::mad

I'm now very happy and confident with what I'm doing for my own dogs :):cheer:

Just wanted to share the love :dancingelephant::cheer:

Ooh! I'm definitely interested! if you could please PM me the link that'd be great....although the last thing I need is yet another addictive forum! :mad Ah well....anything for the benefit of my doggies! :cheer:

Anyway I'm off to feed them their dinner (duck frames tonight! I was so excited when I found these at the butcher today it was quite sad! :eek:)....

I think I might know that forum ;)

Edited by Staranais

What is lambs fry? Is it liver? I got a 600g pack for $1 on Friday night and popped it in the freezer until today. I partially thawed it, chopped it up into smaller pieces and put it back in smaller bags to mix with other stuff. I gave the dogs a few pieces each and they gobbled it down so it's obviously tasty for them.

What is lambs fry? Is it liver? I got a 600g pack for $1 on Friday night and popped it in the freezer until today. I partially thawed it, chopped it up into smaller pieces and put it back in smaller bags to mix with other stuff. I gave the dogs a few pieces each and they gobbled it down so it's obviously tasty for them.

Yes it's liver. The dogs love it and so do I but I prefer mine fried up with bacon thanks! :thumbsup:

Yes, it's the liver of a sheep. :thumbsup:

I was reading a cook book once called "Maggies' Harvest" by Maggie Beer, and she mentions in the book how incredibly cheap offal is in Australia. Apparently most Aussies won't eat it and the butchers just bag it up and sell it off cheap. According to Maggie, offal is a delicacy in Europe and priced to match.

I don't plan on eating any of it.....bleeeerrrrghhhh....but I'm happy for the woofers it's so cheap. $1 for 600g of any meat is a pretty good deal.

I was reading a cook book once called "Maggies' Harvest" by Maggie Beer, and she mentions in the book how incredibly cheap offal is in Australia. Apparently most Aussies won't eat it and the butchers just bag it up and sell it off cheap. According to Maggie, offal is a delicacy in Europe and priced to match.

I don't plan on eating any of it.....bleeeerrrrghhhh....but I'm happy for the woofers it's so cheap. $1 for 600g of any meat is a pretty good deal.

Yep Europeans are much more into offal - mum use to feed us fried livers as kids - eeewww :crazy: (I have lived in Finland twice and they eat all kinds of weird crap but I guess when meat is as expensive as it is over there you eat the whole animals rather than just the rump!).

So I went on my shopping spree on Saturday and then parceled everything up last night - which took 3 hours! :eek: Ocean - I now know how you feel!!! ;)

So Jack Purcells were out of turkey wings so I substituted for marylands, and bought the following which is a 2 wks minimum for my two Golden boys - plus a lot of extra's that extend in to weeks 3 & 4 as they were not sold in smaller packages.

So this is what I bought from Jack's for $58.20

8 Chicken marylands

2.6 kgs of Mince Chicken Frames

5 kgs of minced Roo ($24.30 - which works out at $4.86 a kilo and will last 4 wks)

1.4kg of Pig Tongues

700 of Lamb Hearts

1.1 kgs of Lamb Kidneys

700grams of Lamb's Fry

2kg of Lamb Flaps (never buying again as I had throw so much out that was just fat!)

1.5kg bag of lamb off cuts

Woolies - $15.00

4 Salmon Heads ($3.99 a kilo)

8 Tins of Pink Salmon for $10

And I had Sardines and Yoghurt at home and bought veggies the week before for about $2 (to make up a week's worth of feeding)

So I have rounded it off and I would say feeding my boys is going to be approx $15 each a week - not bad IMO as Artemis was about $14 dollars a week and plus I gave the boys yoghurt and a bone every second day! :confused:

Edit- the boys the morning were hilarious - Benson was like what the heck when is my kibble but being a Golden Retreiver his stomach got the better of him, but Lughie though he was in heaven and scoofed it all down (all the while his tail wags from side to side like a pendulum - so happy when he gets his grub :laugh: )

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

I gave the boys yoghurt and a bone every second day! ;)

Edit- the boys the morning were hilarious - Benson was like what the heck when is my kibble but being a Golden Retreiver his stomach got the better of him, but Lughie though he was in heaven and scoofed it all down (all the while his tail wags from side to side like a pendulum - so happy when he gets his grub :) )

If you make your own yoghurt, it's even cheaper to feed them. :(

You can get the container & powder from Big W. It's called "EasiYo". I have 3 dogs & they get a big dollop on their breakfast every morning along with their oils. :(

I gave the boys yoghurt and a bone every second day! ;)

Edit- the boys the morning were hilarious - Benson was like what the heck when is my kibble but being a Golden Retreiver his stomach got the better of him, but Lughie though he was in heaven and scoofed it all down (all the while his tail wags from side to side like a pendulum - so happy when he gets his grub :( )

If you make your own yoghurt, it's even cheaper to feed them. :rofl:

You can get the container & powder from Big W. It's called "EasiYo". I have 3 dogs & they get a big dollop on their breakfast every morning along with their oils. :(

EasiYo is great :rofl: And I agree that it works out a lot cheaper.

I have never even heard off it - must go investigate - thank you guys!!! :)

I have never even heard off it - must go investigate - thank you guys!!! ;)

The unit is about $20, but it will pay for itself in no time. I get the plain powder. It's been ages since I've priced yogurt, but it costs me about $1.50 to make a litre of yogurt. What's the price of a litre of commercial yogurt these days ?? It was around $4 when I started to make my own.