Raw/natural Chitchat

Also I believe that we need to be sensible in recommending which dogs be fed raw - dogs on medication that might reduce stomach acid, for example, or dogs suffering from severe immunosuppression, are prime candidates for a home made cooked diet instead of a raw one.

JMO.

How do you mean immunosuppresssed? What illiness exactly?

No specific disease in mind, since any illness or drug that results in a dog being severely immunosuppressed is going to result in that dog's gut having less ability to deal with the pathogens that are associated with raw meat (e.g, salmonella in raw chicken). A raw diet is a great option for a healthy dog, but when dogs become very sick then raw is IMO not always the best option for a sick dog (although it sometimes is, depends on the illness).

Remember that in the wild very sick wolves tend to just die, which isn't the outcome we want with our dogs. Hence, we sometimes have to use drugs and artificial foods and other "unnatural" things to care for our dogs when they're ill, even though it may not be optimal to give them those foods or drugs when they're healthy.

Hope that makes sense. :D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a question regarding salmon vs salmon heads

- at my local pet food supplier they have salmon fillets for about 3 dollars a kg

are they as good as heads

be careful with bulls testicles - the vets inject the testicle with local anaesthetic when they remove them when the animal is alive,however if while dead then local is probably not needed

i got casserole from pet food place the other day - kidney, liver, beef - dogs went mad for it, but you should have seen the look on one of my whippets faces when i put a couple of sardines on the side.

lucy big guts - scoffs it down and loves the tomato sauce

bella delicate eating habits - eats and sniffs completely around the sardines incl the tomato sauce and left them for lucy

some days in my house hold you would think i was poisoning her

she is delicate in taking food - and sometimes doesn't like to take it at all

have swapped over to artemis grain-free - they love it

still miss orijen

for burnt dead grass from wee - is it carrots in the diet that helps

You know I thought your boy in your avatar was a Dane :) I just re read that you have been speaking to other wiemie owners in Germany - god I'm a dork :)

Perhaps it is a common concern with weim's - see I know Golden have guts of steal so feel comfortable feeding brisket bones, chicken marylands/frames and turkey wings/necks without any worry - I am however a little relucant to feed chicken necks or wings as I think my new boy Lughie would inhale them :)

:D They do look similar - especially on a small avatar pic.

I don't think it's the breed, it's the attitude of the people. Keep in mind that a lot of German keep their dogs in a (rented) flat so a raw bone might not not be all that appealing. ;)

laffi, I feed my Weim a variety of bones, such as roo tail, offcuts, something else I can't remember the name off I think it's cow throat, as well as whole rabbits, pork trotters ect.

i got casserole from pet food place the other day - kidney, liver, beef - dogs went mad for it, but you should have seen the look on one of my whippets faces when i put a couple of sardines on the side.

lucy big guts - scoffs it down and loves the tomato sauce

bella delicate eating habits - eats and sniffs completely around the sardines incl the tomato sauce and left them for lucy

Hey Neats - perhaps buy the sardines in olive oil or springwater and mash them up a bit!!! :D

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

:D They do look similar - especially on a small avatar pic.

I don't think it's the breed, it's the attitude of the people. Keep in mind that a lot of German keep their dogs in a (rented) flat so a raw bone might not not be all that appealing. :)

They do and especially at that angle I think - makes the ears look really long! :)

Aahhh yes I think if I lived in an apartment the only way I would feed bones is in a crate and that's it!

just a question regarding salmon vs salmon heads

- at my local pet food supplier they have salmon fillets for about 3 dollars a kg

are they as good as heads

Salmon fillets for $3/kg?Salmon fillets sell for $20+/kg usually,were they salmon backs ie.the body of the salmon after it's been filleted,usually still with the fins intact?

If so then yes they're as good as the head and I reckon probably better.

Both the breeders I bought my dogs from started them off on a raw diet when they weaned them. And both recommended that they continue to be fed raw most of the time. So I just continued on with how they'd been brought up before I got them.....small chicken pieces when they were little, easy to manage lamb offcuts (ribs are fabulous for chewing, teething babies) and plenty of other tasty stuff.

Each time I take them to the vet for a checkup, the vet comments on how wonderfully healthy they look and how beautiful their coats are.

Tonight we had chicken kiev for dinner and husband and I aren't too well right now (he has man flu, I just have a common cold, he is dying, I'm getting up at 5.30am to go to work tomorrow) so we didn't really feel like eating much. I cut up the leftovers and added them to the dogs bowls for an extra dinner treat, and Benson very carefully took the cooked chicken kiev pieces in his mouth and laid them carefully beside his bowl and tucked into his raw necks! LOL!

He did eat it later, but he really wanted his proper meal first!

No specific disease in mind, since any illness or drug that results in a dog being severely immunosuppressed is going to result in that dog's gut having less ability to deal with the pathogens that are associated with raw meat (e.g, salmonella in raw chicken). A raw diet is a great option for a healthy dog, but when dogs become very sick then raw is IMO not always the best option for a sick dog (although it sometimes is, depends on the illness).

Remember that in the wild very sick wolves tend to just die, which isn't the outcome we want with our dogs. Hence, we sometimes have to use drugs and artificial foods and other "unnatural" things to care for our dogs when they're ill, even though it may not be optimal to give them those foods or drugs when they're healthy.

Hope that makes sense. :thumbsup:

Yes it certainly does :) But you did give me a fright cause I was thinking oh crap shouldn't I feed Benson raw due to his allergies (Atopy) but then realised that this is not sickness as such *phew*

Tonight we had chicken kiev for dinner and husband and I aren't too well right now (he has man flu, I just have a common cold, he is dying, I'm getting up at 5.30am to go to work tomorrow) so we didn't really feel like eating much. I cut up the leftovers and added them to the dogs bowls for an extra dinner treat, and Benson very carefully took the cooked chicken kiev pieces in his mouth and laid them carefully beside his bowl and tucked into his raw necks! LOL!

He did eat it later, but he really wanted his proper meal first!

Love 'man colds' :thumbsup: :p And that is so cute about Benson picking off the kiev pieces :cooldance::champagne:

Hope that makes sense. :)

Yes it certainly does :thumbsup: But you did give me a fright cause I was thinking oh crap shouldn't I feed Benson raw due to his allergies (Atopy) but then realised that this is not sickness as such *phew*

Didn't mean to give you a fright sorry - if anything, I think a good raw diet would help the atopy, as long as you avoid any food items he might also be allergic to. :p

Didn't mean to give you a fright sorry - if anything, I think a good raw diet would help the atopy, as long as you avoid any food items he might also be allergic to. :cooldance:

No worries! :p I'm just a silly worry wart is all! :)

I agree - I mean that is why I have fed Orijin and now currently Artemis Maximal Dog as he is allergic wheat and oats and I have a funny feeling (though this can only be proved through elimination) that he is allergic to beef as well, even if only mildly, so I can not wait to start feeding raw! :thumbsup:

A healthy,easy and fun way to give dogs fruit is to give them a couple of frozen raspberries as treats.These are extremely nutrient rich,but low calorie/low carb and are something that I do believe a wolf or dog would occasionally eat in the wild.My dog loves them!

What share my raspberries??! :thumbsup: I've given mine blueberries on ocassion and they loved them.

Also I believe that we need to be sensible in recommending which dogs be fed raw - dogs on medication that might reduce stomach acid, for example, or dogs suffering from severe immunosuppression, are prime candidates for a home made cooked diet instead of a raw one.

JMO.

How do you mean immunosuppresssed? What illiness exactly?

Absolutely! There are risks involved in everything we do. We just need to make educated decisions and take calculated risks.

I agree! :thumbsup:

I take a calculated risk every morning, five day a week when getting out of bed and going to work, I mean just you never know who I will want to choke! :champagne::) (Sorry couldn't help myself :cooldance: )

:p How true!!

I've had a dog choke on processed food. The silly thing is I'd promised her owner I'd not give her a chicken neck cause she was paranoid she'd choke on them so I bought her some food and gave me a very big fright! She was okay but very close.

:rofl: You to Gretel?!?! I just said to temp staffer we have in today 'I swear some days I feel like I am working on planet looney tunes!' (I wish I knew what some of my colleagues use cause I double dose to feel like I wasn't the freak amongst the weirdos :rofl: ).

Ok one last stupid question peoples - do you defrozst the day before feeding (in the fridge) and if so what if you forget, can you zap it in the microwave??? :D

:rofl: You to Gretel?!?! I just said to temp staffer we have in today 'I swear some days I feel like I am working on planet looney tunes!' (I wish I knew what some of my colleagues use cause I double dose to feel like I wasn't the freak amongst the weirdos :rofl: ).

Ok one last stupid question peoples - do you defrozst the day before feeding (in the fridge) and if so what if you forget, can you zap it in the microwave??? :D

Defrosting in the fridge the day before is good, generally doesnt thaw it completely though, but a dunk in some water for an hour will fix that. Otherwise if I forget, I pop it in some luke warm water and generally it will be thawed in an hour or so. I try not to zap, just cos it cooks the meat a little.

Defrosting in the fridge the day before is good, generally doesnt thaw it completely though, but a dunk in some water for an hour will fix that. Otherwise if I forget, I pop it in some luke warm water and generally it will be thawed in an hour or so. I try not to zap, just cos it cooks the meat a little.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too :rofl: Even when I tried to defrost chicken for myself it seemed to cook on the edges - so I do the warm water for defrosting mince etc if I have forgotten to the day before!

I went to Jack Purcells today to stock up on some food for the puppies, for just under $30 I got:

- 6 lamb hearts

- 4 turkey wings (all they had left :D )

- 2 kgs of chicken wings

- 6 pig trotters

- about 1.5-2kg of chicken necks

- a tray of meaty lamb bones (I think it was about a kg worth?)

Not a bad haul :rofl: I put them into portions and froze most of it. I have some chopped liver in the freezer at the moment that I will feed the puppies in the next couple of days, they are such a PITA when it comes to offal :rofl:

I went to Jack Purcells today to stock up on some food for the puppies, for just under $30 I got:

- 6 lamb hearts

- 4 turkey wings (all they had left ;) )

- 2 kgs of chicken wings

- 6 pig trotters

- about 1.5-2kg of chicken necks

- a tray of meaty lamb bones (I think it was about a kg worth?)

Not a bad haul :rofl: I put them into portions and froze most of it. I have some chopped liver in the freezer at the moment that I will feed the puppies in the next couple of days, they are such a PITA when it comes to offal ;)

:rofl: Well done - I am heading over there in the morning to shop for 2 wks worth of food!

Hey question - do your two like sardines? If so why no mince up the offal really fine and then mush up the sardines with a fork and mix the thoroughly together! Sardines smell more so they might just go bugger it I want sardines so I guess i have to eat the rest of the crap in here too! :D

:rofl: Well done - I am heading over there in the morning to shop for 2 wks worth of food!

Hey question - do your two like sardines? If so why no mince up the offal really fine and then mush up the sardines with a fork and mix the thoroughly together! Sardines smell more so they might just go bugger it I want sardines so I guess i have to eat the rest of the crap in here too! :D

That's what I've been doing. They still really dislike it though, although they will eat liver this way if I chop it really finely. However, they won't touch kidney no matter how I serve it. Fussy buggers!

I have one girl who will not eat liver. I've tried chopping it really finely and mixing it through but she does her best to pick it out. I've watched her pick it up and spit it out! :p Though the other day I was chopping liver and she was begging for it along with the others!! I do make an exception for her and cook liver just a little so she will eat it. The others all love it raw :laugh: