Raw/natural Chitchat

I have never even heard off it - must go investigate - thank you guys!!! ;)

The unit is about $20, but it will pay for itself in no time. I get the plain powder. It's been ages since I've priced yogurt, but it costs me about $1.50 to make a litre of yogurt. What's the price of a litre of commercial yogurt these days ?? It was around $4 when I started to make my own.

Closing in on $6 unless it's on special - so going to go get one this week!!! :) Thank you! :(

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can get different flavoured sachets with the Easiyo as well :(

Plus the pureed fruit squeezy tube things to add pureed raspberry or kiwi fruit or was it passionfruit?? to your yogurt ;)

Also i *think* the easiyo has more live cultures in it or something??

I can't remember exactly what i read it will be in the box :)

But it keeps for only 2 weeks I think? Well thats if it lasts that long in your house :(

Here is a link for you if you want more information

http://www.easiyo.com/australia/

Edited by oonga

you can get different flavoured sachets with the Easiyo as well :(

Plus the pureed fruit squeezy tube things to add pureed raspberry or kiwi fruit or was it passionfruit?? to your yogurt ;)

Also i *think* the easiyo has more live cultures in it or something??

I can't remember exactly what i read it will be in the box :)

But it keeps for only 2 weeks I think? Well thats if it lasts that long in your house :(

Here is a link for you if you want more information

http://www.easiyo.com/australia/

You know the real fruit squirts can you use it over a couple of days??? Like I can't imagine you would put it all into one serve right? Plus the passionfruit one - does it really make the natural yoghurt taste like passionfruit yoghurt?

First Time Puppy Owner,

I have not used the squirts for a while so can't remember how long they keep for once you open them but from memory it was a while!

You only need a bit though they are very rich :rofl:

They are sort of like when you get those single yogurts with a dollop of fruit that you mix through??

hmmmm as for does it really taste like passionfruit??

Sorry i can't give an honest answer because it has been years and years that i got those squirt things even the packaging of them was different to what is on their website now :laugh:

Definately no added sugar that i do remember :rofl:

My partner is not a huge sweet tooth and I remember it being too sweet for him :rofl:

Totally agree if you are going to buy it you may as well use it yourself!

You can even get smaller plastic container to transfer some into for work and stuff :laugh:

My partner is not a huge sweet tooth and I remember it being too sweet for him :rofl:

You can even get smaller plastic container to transfer some into for work and stuff :laugh:

Well I buy a tub of yoghurt a week so I would definitely get use out of it and so would my wonderfully woofa's! :laugh: And good to know cause I am not a sweet tooth either so just a little and increase it if need be! :rofl:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Well I buy a tub of yoghurt a week so I would definitely get use out of it and so would my wonderfully woofa's! :laugh: And good to know cause I am not a sweet tooth either so just a little and increase it if need be! :rofl:

Have a look at the ingredients list but i am pretty sure the squirt things have sugar in them?

Cool - I thought they would to give it flavour but I just wanted to make sure you didn't need to add more! :laugh:

I will be surprised if you feel you need to add more sugar :rofl:

Your plan to start with a bit of squirt and add as required is the way to go :rofl:

Let us know how you go with it

Perhaps http://www.happypawstreats.com.au/products.cfm Perfect Apperteaser might be the solution to your problem! :laugh:

I sprinkle the perfect apperteaser on semi cooked liver / kidney as Leo wont eat it otherwise. It tops! :rofl: I Have been reading along in this thread but havent said much yet :laugh: but had to say this stuff really is an apperteaser! LOL I also sprinkle over mince sometimes too simply cause Leo isnt big on mince, he usually eats more 'whole' food like chicken- merrylands,drumsticks, wings and necks or lamb- heart, flaps/ribs, brisket bone or meaty neck bone, tounges and brain (Sounds lovely I know!)

Actually need to do the dog meat shopping tonight, and you know what, sadly enough, I really enjoy shopping for all those 'weird' unusual meats! Enjoy it much more than I enjoy doing to human food shopping! Crazy! Im sure the ladys at the checkout counter think im crazy too, buying 3-4kg of hearts a tounges, plus a couple of KG's of brains at any one time! They must think im very European LOL :rofl:

:rofl: You to Gretel?!?! I just said to temp staffer we have in today 'I swear some days I feel like I am working on planet looney tunes!' (I wish I knew what some of my colleagues use cause I double dose to feel like I wasn't the freak amongst the weirdos :laugh: ).

Ok one last stupid question peoples - do you defrozst the day before feeding (in the fridge) and if so what if you forget, can you zap it in the microwave??? :rofl:

Defrosting in the fridge the day before is good, generally doesnt thaw it completely though, but a dunk in some water for an hour will fix that. Otherwise if I forget, I pop it in some luke warm water and generally it will be thawed in an hour or so. I try not to zap, just cos it cooks the meat a little.

I get 3 days worth of food out at once and put it in the veggie draw in our small bar fridge (As my other half complains if dog meat is in our normal size fridge... but doesnt mind if it sits with his beers! :rofl::laugh: ) first day I have to leave it out for 1/2hr or dunk in hot water so it can defrost a bit more, second day its still even a little frozen but OK to give straight up, 3rd day its fully defrosted and I load a new batch into the frdige for the next 3 days. I usually give the chicken on the 1st day if getting it out, as i find it tends to defrost quicker than lamb or other read meat for some reason and doesnt keep in the fringe as long either

Sounding dumb :rofl: but what does FTPO mean?

Ignore me, I get it, FTPO- first time puppy owner! (I was trying to google it and kept getting first time puppy owners dol thread and replys and then 'click' ohh i get it!) :laugh:

Edited by leo01

wow theres so much in this thread, i couldn't read it all. so sorry if this ahs been asked before but what do people think about buying premade barf mixes such as doctor b's? how do they can compare with homemade barf and kibble?

thank kim

wow theres so much in this thread, i couldn't read it all. so sorry if this ahs been asked before but what do people think about buying premade barf mixes such as doctor b's? how do they can compare with homemade barf and kibble?

thank kim

I'm not sure if we even talked about this - the thread is so big it's hard to remember which topics have come up! :laugh:

I think the premade BARF style mixes can be good if the mix is an appropriate one, but doesn't have the benefits for teeth that feeding RMB and meat chunks does.

I had a look at Dr B's raw pet foods a while back and it looked very good to me, at least from the ingredients list and limited nutritional data available on the website. You could possibly buy that and add some bones to it and meat chunks a few times a week for dental health, and that would IMO be a pretty good diet for a dog or cat.

Kibble is fine for most dogs but will always have a reasonable amount of carbohydrates in (even the grain free kibbles will have some sort of starch to hold the kibble together), which some owners don't like, and which doesn't agree with some dogs. I think it's definitely better to feed a premium kibble than a crappy raw diet though. Like all things, there are good kibbles and really crappy ones.

There are also freeze dried dog foods, which have the convenience of kibble with less or no grains or starches, but which tend to be rather pricey.

I personally feed half kibble and half raw, as for me that is the best way to get a healthy diet for my dog within my budget.

Staranais - can't remember if you've mentioned this before, but what dried do you feed?

Whenever I next get a pup I will want to feed them raw but will probably start off doing half kibble half raw, before gradually moving the pup to 100% raw like I feed the adult dogs now.

Whenever I next get a pup I will want to feed them raw but will probably start off doing half kibble half raw, before gradually moving the pup to 100% raw like I feed the adult dogs now.

That's pretty much what I did. While they were little, they got one meal kibble and one meal raw, then changed the kibble to a chicken drumstick in the mornings and their regular raw at night, with kibble 1-2 times per week replacing their evening meal. Now they have raw 99.9% of the time and are thriving.

The only reason they'll be having kibble now is to use up what's left in the cupboard.

Edited by GayleK

That's pretty much what I did. While they were little, they got one meal kibble and one meal raw, then changed the kibble to a chicken drumstick in the mornings and their regular raw at night, with kibble 1-2 times per week replacing their evening meal. Now they have raw 99.9% of the time and are thriving.

The only reason they'll be having kibble now is to use up what's left in the cupboard.

When I got Spirit at 8 weeks of age, I "de-toxed" her on chicken & rice for 3 to 4 days to get all the chemicals, preservatives & commercial food out of her system & then straight on to a natural diet. :laugh: She took to the new diet with great enthusiasm & hasn't looked back.