A Couple Quick Raw Questions

Is tongue considered a muscle meat? I found a heap of reduced-to-clear Lamb Tongues (and hearts and other treats!) at my local supermarket today so snapped them all up! I have fed them before and the dogs like them, but it was only one or two when I thought to buy them, just as something "extra" and not really as a whole meal. Now that I have a heap of them, I'm thinking this can make up one of their meat meals, would that be correct? Are they pretty good nutrition-wise?

Slightly off topic, but does anyone on here happen to know of any forums for dog owners who feed raw? An Australian forum would be preferred, but any would do :) Not that I would EVER leave my beloved DOL! :) But I'd be interested to have a look at something like that if it existed, and ask my little questions such as these there as well as here :rofl: Thanks in advance.

Tongue is a muscle meat, very yummy - your dogs are lucky I didn't see them first(the tongues, not the dogs!) :)

Very "dense" meat, can be fatty on the under part of the "big end", where it is attached to the animal but the flappy bit is very lean :)

Search yahoogroups for a raw feeding group? I haven't looked for an Australian-specific one. I don't know of any forums like this one, just email groups. Maybe we could ask Troy for a raw feeding sub-forum on here????????????????

Edited by Sandra777

Mine sometimes get cows' tongues. I hate the things, one part of the animal that freaks me out. I think they make a fine meal for the dogs though.

Edited by Diva

Thankyou Sandra777 and Diva ;)

Search yahoogroups for a raw feeding group?

Would you believe I didn't even think of this :vomit: Have now searched and found a million! :laugh: One in particular that looks really good is called "Natural-Giant" and is for people who feed their giant breeds a raw diet, so perfect for me :D Thanks for the suggestion.

I only just fed my lot ox tounge a couple of days ago, i cooked it and added some to thier normal meal they thought it was christmas.

Should I have cooked it, mine are not big on any type of meat that is raw unless it is mince of chopped beef or on a bone, any other part of the animal they wont eat raw so anythime they get heart, kidney, liver, tounge etc I cook it. How much nutritional value do I lose if I am cooking this offal type meat??

Search yahoogroups for a raw feeding group? I haven't looked for an Australian-specific one. I don't know of any forums like this one, just email groups. Maybe we could ask Troy for a raw feeding sub-forum on here????????????????

Ooooh yeah!! Pleeeeease Troy? (I'm always asking you for something :laugh::))

I joined a couple of yahoo groups, one group is very prey model orientated (and god help you if you even mention the word vegetable!), the other is a bit more relaxed, but I don't think quite as knowledgable. I like the DOL people here better, so a sub-forum would be great :eek: (then we wouldn't have to stray over to other forums, hey Troy? :D )

Tlc, maybe you could try just searing the outside rather than cooking it right through?