Australian Kelpie

Troy

60km? :laugh: I was shocked when someone said we should be running our Kelpie cross 7km a day. I realise Kelpies are capable or running more than 60km a day but I'm not sure that they need it to be fulfilled. I spoke to a lot of working line Kelpie people recently and all of them said that a Kelpie is fine as a pet and the exercise requirements are a little over-stated. Intellectual stimulation is critical and Kelpies like to be close to their people. Our Kelpie cross only gets a half hour to 45 minute walk every couple of days but he gets a lot of obedience training every day.

I think the main thing is that Kelpies can't just be dumped in the back yard and expected to entertain themselves but to be honest - should that really be done to any dog???

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

60km? :love: I was shocked when someone said we should be running our Kelpie cross 7km a day. I realise Kelpies are capable or running more than 60km a day but I'm not sure that they need it to be fulfilled. I spoke to a lot of working line Kelpie people recently and all of them said that a Kelpie is fine as a pet and the exercise requirements are a little over-stated. Intellectual stimulation is critical and Kelpies like to be close to their people. Our Kelpie cross only gets a half hour to 45 minute walk every couple of days but he gets a lot of obedience training every day.

I think the main thing is that Kelpies can't just be dumped in the back yard and expected to entertain themselves but to be honest - should that really be done to any dog???

Well said KB :laugh:

60 kms per day? :) I walk my dogs in two separate groups and believe I am never going to walk anywhere near as far as that. I can only add that mental stimulus and company are far more important to my Kelpies than physical exercise. I had a bad bout of flu some years ago and my dogs weren't walked for over a week. When eventually I could stagger down the paddock on my wobbly legs and sit on a rock, telling my dogs to go and run, they all stayed with me and decided to lie at my feet. I didn't have the energy to throw anything (mine are not big on retrieving anything but sheep anyway) so I headed back to bed and dogs came with me and settled themselves on the bed around me and went to sleep. In a strange environment like a kennel they may well be more anxious and active.

I just thought I would add to this- I have four kelpies in suburbia. I have been sick for the last two weeks and they have not been off the property. And I have to say they haven't really left my room at all in that time either. They haven't really cared. I think they have enjoyed having me at home the entire time rather than being exercised then left while I go to uni. They will not be going out for another week at least and I expect the only thing I will have to worry about after all this inactivity will be that they take it easy when they get back to doing stuff because I don't want them to become injured after doing nothing for so long!!!!

Farmers don't work stock every day so It wouldn't make sense to create a dog that went ballistic if they didn't do 60km eve day.

Also I wouldn't expect every kelpie to relax at boarding kennels. Mine have little rituals that have developed to tell them it is time to relax- being put in a crate and covered, going home, being told that their toy has been confiscated. To them being in kennels with all that movement and activity would make them think they were meant to be doing something!!

To me the difference between kelpie and lab is that a kelpie is working/in drive unless told otherwise and a lab (adult) is relaxing unless told otherwise.

Well as a Lab breeder who used to breed bench Kelpies for 19 years I think the Kelpie X Lab would be the most intelligent and lovable mutt :) . The best of both good and bad at times, but I would say as long as the owner is prepared to have the dog be part of everything life life has to offer - living with a kelpie x Lab would be grest fun.

Definately for an active family or individual and the dog will definately benefit from any form of training. Enjoy your bundla joy Bella Donna :party:

Edited by Tapua

geez how fit would we be at 60k a day....Mine will have to be happy with 12...Mine havent done much in this wet weather, but Jones gets just as much enjoyment watching his Kong roll from the front of the treadmill(while im on it mind you)and shoot out the back,then he gets it and watches it again till i tell him no more, as im going to break my neck on it...

• 2 months later...

Hi Kelpie People

Some assistance if you can????

I have a Black and Tan Kelpie bitch that I got a month ago from the RSPCA as I wanted an agility dog.... this is the first Kelpie i have had.

I have show dogs as well - Pugs and Saluki.

Question for you all, if you are able to assist me would be great.

Sam (Kelpie) is already very possessive of me... so she follows me everywhere - great dog, but the problem I am having at the moment is that she will block (by standing between) me and the other dogs, and she seems to be worse with my boy Pug (I am sure she knows that he is the one that has always been "Mummy's Boy" :) )

She is best buddy’s with my girl Pug who is around the same age as Sam (1yr) which is great... but she seems to think that when the other dogs are playing (without her), that there is a problem and she will go in and stop the fun. (i think she thinks they are fighting???)

Has anyone got any ideas on how to teach her that she is just as important as the others (she is inside just as much as anyone else) but they can get attention without her being involved sometimes?? and that the others can play together, it is alright??

Sam was a scared, skinny little thing when I bought her home from the RSPCA :hug: , but she has come so far in only a month…it is great… :confused: even her coat is better already (after it fell out everywhere - Vac got good use during that time).

I can only assume that her digging issues :) is was why someone dumped her, as she is a great dog – love her to bits - Just need to try and understand her better. :)

Thanks guys

Hi Kelpie People

Some assistance if you can????

I have a Black and Tan Kelpie bitch that I got a month ago from the RSPCA as I wanted an agility dog.... this is the first Kelpie i have had.

I have show dogs as well - Pugs and Saluki.

Question for you all, if you are able to assist me would be great.

Sam (Kelpie) is already very possessive of me... so she follows me everywhere - great dog, but the problem I am having at the moment is that she will block (by standing between) me and the other dogs, and she seems to be worse with my boy Pug (I am sure she knows that he is the one that has always been "Mummy's Boy" :) )

She is best buddy’s with my girl Pug who is around the same age as Sam (1yr) which is great... but she seems to think that when the other dogs are playing (without her), that there is a problem and she will go in and stop the fun. (i think she thinks they are fighting???)

Has anyone got any ideas on how to teach her that she is just as important as the others (she is inside just as much as anyone else) but they can get attention without her being involved sometimes?? and that the others can play together, it is alright??

Sam was a scared, skinny little thing when I bought her home from the RSPCA :laugh: , but she has come so far in only a month…it is great… :) even her coat is better already (after it fell out everywhere - Vac got good use during that time).

I can only assume that her digging issues :eek: is was why someone dumped her, as she is a great dog – love her to bits - Just need to try and understand her better. :)

Thanks guys

One of my Boys is the "fun police" and I just call him away when he starts to bark at the other dogs playing- I will play ball with him or otherwise distract him. With the blocking I have always completely removed myself from my dogs when they have become possessive of me. They have all (and it does seem that all of my kelpies have tried it at one time or another) learnt that blocking another dog from getting a pat means that they stop getting any attention. So they have never been reprimanded for the behaviour but they defiantly know it is not rewarding to them

Dont be afraid to create boundaries and make Sam work for the privilege of being near you and having cuddles. Kelpies thrive on being able to please so the more tasks you set for her to get attention the happier she will be.

Hopefully this will work!

This is his RSPCA shot....and the second one is him sleeping when we bought him home. He was pooped from all the excitement!!!

post-35340-1277856424_thumb.jpg

Wow! He is beautiful!

Has the tanned brown, black and white! How old is Dexter now?

• 2 weeks later...

us kelpie people are getting slack :thumbsup: i had to type the breed in via search as it wasn't in the first two pages.

sorry to change the main part of this topic but i think we all have discovered where a kelpie came from etc as everyone has answered.

soo,

ANYONE WITH A NOONBARRA KELPIE ? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

or Working lines along...

Philscreek, Avenpart, Ballysheehan, Scoriochre

us kelpie people are getting slack :thumbsup: i had to type the breed in via search as it wasn't in the first two pages.

sorry to change the main part of this topic but i think we all have discovered where a kelpie came from etc as everyone has answered.

soo,

ANYONE WITH A NOONBARRA KELPIE ? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think this thread is slow-moving because it's just the Breeds 101 thread. The main Kelpie 'chat' thread is here. Not that active but more active than this 'information only' thread. Very cute photo of a Noonbarra puppy in the Kelpie thread.

us kelpie people are getting slack :p i had to type the breed in via search as it wasn't in the first two pages.

soo,

ANYONE WITH A NOONBARRA KELPIE ? :rainbowbridge::rofl:

I have an Avenpart Kelpie :) He is awesome :o We now have our JD and AD titles :hug:

I have an Avenpart Kelpie :p He is awesome :hug: We now have our JD and AD titles :rainbowbridge:

Avenpart are recommended highly in the Parsons book "The Kelpie" - he seems to think very highly of Mary McCrabb :rofl:

Congratulations on your titles! :o

• 4 weeks later...

My 14 week old boy is Binnaburra Isaac.... he has Philscreek Sam and Avenpart Zondo in his background along with some Milburn and Capree.

Uploading photos is not working at the moment....here is a link

http://s550.photobucket.com/albums/ii424/b...nt=DSC00330.jpg

us kelpie people are getting slack :D i had to type the breed in via search as it wasn't in the first two pages.

soo,

ANYONE WITH A NOONBARRA KELPIE ? :provoke::)

[/quote]

Edited by bedazzledx2

My 14 week old boy is Binnaburra Isaac.... he has Philscreek Sam and Avenpart Zondo in his background along with some Milburn and Capree.

DSC00330.jpg

You don't have to upload photos here at DOL, you can link to them at photobucket and then they get embedded here like above.

Your pup is sooo cute ... Just look at that little face. :thumbsup: Also, please join us in the Kelpie chat thread. It is far too quiet!

Thanks koalathebear I'll give it a go later on. He's currently driving everyone nuts...so much energy!!! Love him though :laugh:

DSC00330.jpg

You don't have to upload photos here at DOL, you can link to them at photobucket and then they get embedded here like above.

Your pup is sooo cute ... Just look at that little face. :) Also, please join us in the Kelpie chat thread. It is far too quiet!

Btw, we're not supposed to like X breeds on DOL, but I think the kelpie X Lab is a great cross.

I would agree - but I'm totally biased cos I have one :) Meet Darcy...

post-9074-1298673701_thumb.jpg

A friend has two Noonbarra kelpies (she also posts on here) as does an instructor at the club I train at.

A friend has two Noonbarra kelpies (she also posts on here) as does an instructor at the club I train at.

What are you doing wasting time on DOL ? You should be packing to go trialling. :)

Yep, I have 2 Noonbarra kelpies that I trial in agility. They are both awesome dogs in different ways. The older one throws very strongly to Milburn lines on one side and also has Phils Creek Sam in his bloodline. The younger one's breeding is based more on Capree bloodlines.

Also like the Scoriochre lines from what I have seen, in fact when I was researching for mine, Scoriochre was pretty much the only Victorian line I considered but went with Noonbarra instead and have been very happy with my decision.

That Binnaburra pup is adorable. When I looked for another dog not too long ago, decided that I should expand my horizons and not get 3 Noonbarra kelpies in row - even though I would have been happy to- and I actually looked at Binnaburra and Marionvale bloodlines and liked what I saw..... but ended up with a working BC from WA instead in a 'chain of events' that I wasn't really planning ! Sometimes the right dog just finds you and I love the contrast with training kelpies as it really makes me think about training things in different ways.

BTW I think kelpie/lab mixes are pretty cool too - especially now that I know Darcy.