Australian Kelpie

Troy

i own two kelpies, my first dog is from fantastic working pedigree line a blk tri girl now 4.5 yrs and a solid black barb kelpie 2.5 yrs with a few white hairs on his chest.

i notice that they are very opposite in behaviour and temperment

my girl from the working line is independant more dog orientated and not much of a cuddler but loves interation with tug-o-war or fetch with people then on her own has to be physically told when to stop or to respond sometimes (not hitting her but grabbing her collar).

where as my boy is much more affectionate, loves to be close by, more people orientated, but can play and entertain himself with toys alone much more attentive with tone.

my girl settled right down when i got my second dog around 2 years of age.

they are masters of psychology they need a fair but firm handler. love fast action.

and are a all round great dog if you have the time and education abut them :shrug:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but I recently adopted my gorgeous pup Dexter from a shelter. I have spoken to the Working Kelpie Council about him and they think he is mostly kelpie with some BC dropped in for good measure (I'm sorry, I know this is a purebreed site) - I think its the white around his neck that distinguishes himself from a pure kelpie?

I'm thinking about starting agility with him as soon as his manners have progressed and I know I have (mostly) complete control over him!

Regarding the whole working/show kelpies- having not met his parents- how do I know which he is? :shrug:

I want to make sure I give him the right amount of excersize etc. Currently I'm walking him once a day, spending an hour or so playing games and another half hour training.

Cheers :D

you can normally tell whether your dogs is from a working line or show line by there colour/markings not always ie ; i have a solid black kelpie he is the same as his mum but his father and other litter mates were all blk n tan n red n tans but

it will be easier to tell if they have tan markings in them to whether or not they are workings line if they do, high chance they are. alot of workers use the red n tans alot not just because fo there working line but because they can with hold being in the sun for long hours being a lighter colour rather then a completely black dog.

they need a lot more mental simulation then physical i personally think, so your agility, flyball mentally challenging games like you obedience and tricks using that built up energy but every dog suits a certain level of exercise in every breed

you can normally tell whether your dogs is from a working line or show line by there colour/markings not always ie ; i have a solid black kelpie he is the same as his mum but his father and other litter mates were all blk n tan n red n tans but

it will be easier to tell if they have tan markings in them to whether or not they are workings line if they do, high chance they are. alot of workers use the red n tans alot not just because fo there working line but because they can with hold being in the sun for long hours being a lighter colour rather then a completely black dog.

they need a lot more mental simulation then physical i personally think, so your agility, flyball mentally challenging games like you obedience and tricks using that built up energy but every dog suits a certain level of exercise in every breed

I know solid working lines kelpies and tan marked show lines kelpies so colour doesn't really make a difference as to what type it is likely to be. My ideal for my next kelpie is a red and tan show lines bitch :D I have found them easier to pick looking at a combination of colour and build :shrug:

post-31407-1278650919_thumb.jpgHey everyone!!!!!!!!!!! Jarrah(middle girl) is my new foster girl. She arrived last night and learnt how tuff it is in the house very quickly. She is in Queensland and up for adoption through the AWDRI if anyone is interested in a very obedient well behaved and very very fast kelpie. thanks

No No I think you are neglecting the children :rofl: - I mean colour co-ordination is essential- the sheet should be tan or yellow - plus a teddy bear and someone - like a personal servant standing by to ensure their every need like food, water and a bunny rug when its cold - now snap to it Sandra and get cracking!!!! :rofl::rofl: :D :shrug:

post-31407-1278650919_thumb.jpgHey everyone!!!!!!!!!!! Jarrah(middle girl) is my new foster girl. She arrived last night and learnt how tuff it is in the house very quickly. She is in Queensland and up for adoption through the AWDRI if anyone is interested in a very obedient well behaved and very very fast kelpie. thanks

No No I think you are neglecting the children ;) - I mean colour co-ordination is essential- the sheet should be tan or yellow - plus a teddy bear and someone - like a personal servant standing by to ensure their every need like food, water and a bunny rug when its cold - now snap to it Sandra and get cracking!!!! :laugh::rofl::laugh::laugh:

LOL....Its a bit that way Pauline. I miss Jarrah so much. She has gone to her new home. She was the perfect dog to have as a foster dog, but then she is a kelpie...Megs was a bit out of sorts her being female and all, but she coped:-)...And im sure your furkids are neglected as much as mine:-) Hope you are well.xoxoxo

I know solid working lines kelpies and tan marked show lines kelpies so colour doesn't really make a difference as to what type it is likely to be. My ideal for my next kelpie is a red and tan show lines bitch :thumbsup: I have found them easier to pick looking at a combination of colour and build :)

yeah you can get soild working kelpies but the marked kelpies are prefered.

when you say show line ??? arnt they a soild colour to be shown ? how do you get tan ones from a show line, im confused?

I know solid working lines kelpies and tan marked show lines kelpies so colour doesn't really make a difference as to what type it is likely to be. My ideal for my next kelpie is a red and tan show lines bitch :D I have found them easier to pick looking at a combination of colour and build :hug:

yeah you can get soild working kelpies but the marked kelpies are prefered.

when you say show line ??? arnt they a soild colour to be shown ? how do you get tan ones from a show line, im confused?

Hi Catherine B - well the colour debate is one of the most torturous debates in the kelpie works. Working vs bech vs colour. In the past ( and ocassionally still) show line breeders would - shall we say - exaggerate the working ability of the bench lines regardless of colour - this was very much the case before sheep trail training became popular and you could prove wether the dog had ability. So back then to distinguish between bench and working there was a tendancy for show Kelpies to be solid colour and two tones to be working lines.

A few breeders have crossed their lines with dual registered working lines (both (ANKC/WKC)over the time and kept colour in their lines somewhere. But unless the dogs are started correctly as young pups they are unlikely to be good stock dogs.

However my point is the two tones are quite common now amongst bench dogs and accepted in the ring- just dont get bluffed that they are necessarily good as stock dogs - and if they claim the dog can work - you need to see proof that they do.

Hey Sandra - The Princes & Princesses of Tapua know who is in charge .... they are!!! :laugh:

Edited by Tapua

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Red Kelpie Bitch "Ruby" from show breeding and all she wants to do is work, lucky we are on a farm so she can and she is pretty handy to have around. We also have a working Kelpie, Black an Tan, "Aussie" who would rather lie in his kennel. He was a rescue so we dont know his history but we have had him since he was about 5 Months and he has all the same oportunities as Ruby. I think some dogs have it and some dont. Im sure theres lots of dogs from working breeding that just dont have the desire that good working dogs have.

I have a Red Kelpie Bitch "Ruby" from show breeding and all she wants to do is work, lucky we are on a farm so she can and she is pretty handy to have around. We also have a working Kelpie, Black an Tan, "Aussie" who would rather lie in his kennel. He was a rescue so we dont know his history but we have had him since he was about 5 Months and he has all the same oportunities as Ruby. I think some dogs have it and some dont. Im sure theres lots of dogs from working breeding that just dont have the desire that good working dogs have.

Im sure thats why so many "working kelpies" end up in rescue. they dont have the desire to work so they are disgarded....My last rescue kelpie that i fostered was quite content to lay on the lounge with my 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, just thought I would come in and introduce myself.

I am actually a Blue Heeler owner but have just rescued a Kelpie from Mildura pound for my husband.

We both have just started sheep herding as a hobby and my husband always had Kelpies in a previous life.

We are currently eagerly awaiting her arrival.

Looking forward to sharing some kelpie stories with all soon.

Hi all, just thought I would come in and introduce myself.

I am actually a Blue Heeler owner but have just rescued a Kelpie from Mildura pound for my husband.

We both have just started sheep herding as a hobby and my husband always had Kelpies in a previous life.

We are currently eagerly awaiting her arrival.

Looking forward to sharing some kelpie stories with all soon.

Hi BellaDonna,,,Congrats on your new baby which one was it from Mildura. We also have another active kelpie page on DOL so feel free to join us on that as well...I foster kelpies for AWDRI so welcome to the family.Other forum is in General Dog Discussions, under breed sub forum, title Kelpies. join us there

Edited by sandra64

In my experience as a Lab breeder and running a boarding kennel that gets lots of Labs and kelpies, I disagree. The critical difference is that Labs do ok as family pets in the suburbs. Most simply adore people. Kelpies are more high strung and can be a pain in the backside if they don't get enough exercise . . . meaning around 60 km/day. Labs are working dogs whose work often involves a lot of sitting an waiting, and in many cases doesn't involve high-drive and high energy activity (eg drug detection, guide dogs), while a working kelpie should be out with sheep.

Even a retrieving dog should be happy sitting for long periods behind a duck blind; and I suspect the original Labs (UK) were bred so that the landed gentry of the 19th and early 20th century could have a loving companion when 'loving' was not a big part of human family relationships. Yes, Lab pups can be horrid chewers, diggers, etc. and it's easy to train them to bite kids. But they do settle down, and most problems can be avoided by early training. No stimulus, then ZZZZZZZ is the Lab's approach. Kelpies, on the other hand, tend to bother until someone gives them what they want. Very often older kelpies, in kennels, are bossy to other dogs, maniacal about playing fetch, and prone to fence fighting.

Btw, we're not supposed to like X breeds on DOL, but I think the kelpie X Lab is a great cross.

Its funny actually i have rehomed quite a few kelpies and 99.9% of them have been to previous owners of kelpies. The funny thing is a general rule people see Labs as the family dog and i had a lady ask me the other day that had a Lab if a Kelpie would be too much dog for her, my response was if you have had a Lab you can handle a Kelpie. Labs are just as much if not more work than a Kelpie and at least Kelpies grow up and mature a lot quicker than the Labs. I find like all active dogs including Labs if trained properly in the first place in manners and obedience and given daily exercise and stimulation they make fantastic dogs and members of the family. My own Kelpie girl tells me if i am not paying her enough attention and giving her enough exercise and she makes it very clear!! In all the write ups here i can definately agree about the independent streak etc when it comes to her. When people read up on the Kelpies for example on the internet they see the statement they need to run 60km per day and think oh my god i cant do this, but the majority of them dont need this with general daily exercise and stimulation they are great, and with this breed being so intellegent and willing to please it makes training a pleasure
Edited by sandgrubber

60KLM a day :laugh::love: yeah. like THAT's going to happen at my place.

I have had working dogs most of my life in all different circumstances and in my opinion (and my opinion only) as long as you keep them stimulated and work with their natural instincts they do well even in a back yard. But YES...they DO need more than your avarage white fluffy.

Mine go sheep herding and hiking etc, but certainly not each and every single day. I work you know........that pays their feed bills.

If I am stuck at home for consecutive days and I feel they are not getting enough exercise then we just get inventive. Ball in the backyard, treasure hunts, making up new games with toys or some mental stimulation rather than physical. they adapt well.

but like I said....they DO go sheep herding every chance we get and we are getting our own sheep very soon so we can do this more often.

60km/day :laugh: I don't think so . . .

sandgrubber - from my experience in kennels, vets and dog daycare I think Labs are at least as much work as Kelpies. In a kennel type environment Labs are THE most difficult dogs I have had to deal with. More pushy, more bossy with other dogs and more loud. Most Kelpies I have met are more interested in their ball and playing with a person than in other dogs - the problem seems to be when other dogs get in their face. Different definitely (canine bowling ball comes to mind with Labs :love: ) but I think exercise requirements are pretty similar. Mental stimulation is the most important - Kelpies adore training and a good training session will wear them out more than just a run.

60 kms per day? :laugh: I walk my dogs in two separate groups and believe I am never going to walk anywhere near as far as that. I can only add that mental stimulus and company are far more important to my Kelpies than physical exercise. I had a bad bout of flu some years ago and my dogs weren't walked for over a week. When eventually I could stagger down the paddock on my wobbly legs and sit on a rock, telling my dogs to go and run, they all stayed with me and decided to lie at my feet. I didn't have the energy to throw anything (mine are not big on retrieving anything but sheep anyway) so I headed back to bed and dogs came with me and settled themselves on the bed around me and went to sleep. In a strange environment like a kennel they may well be more anxious and active.