Pet Clippers

Cougar

Ok, so I'm potentially looking for some pet clippers and was just surfing the net for research purposes. After looking at a a few types, I'm wondering whether there is any real difference between people hair clippers and animal clippers?

As I'm an ex-hairdresser, I already have the good people grade ones, but they didn't perform overly well on the cat (who is the one in need of clipping, sorry I know its a dog forum!), I thought maybe pet ones would be better?

Any info/advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

A lot depends upon the clippers. For a cat though, I'd be inclined to get a decent pair of pet clippers. I can recommend the Lazor RX corded/cordless from Clipperworld. I use those on my horses, dogs and occasionally cats and they aren't as expensive as some of the other brands.

I got about 0.5cm thru my poodle's coat using human clippers- they just stopped + couldn't cope with the thickness of fur (not really that thick for a dog).

Bad news, the good animal clippers are about $280, plus blades.

Cheap ones (around $80) are not much better than the human ones :cry:

If this is a one off, you'd be better off paying a groomer to clip the cat.

Some vets have groomers who also work out of their office.

Thanks for that. Yeah that's pretty much the experience I had with the cat and hair clippers last time, not real flash.

If only it was a 'one time thing' - this cat has enough hair for 3 or 4 cats and HATES being brushed so he ends up like a giant hair ball. We looked into getting him clipped at the vets last time, was going to be about $300! He'd need to be knocked out you see....

Long story but he's not technically ours (just on a semi-permanent holiday, 2 years so far!), and he's never really enjoyed the grooming thing apparently which makes it bloody hard to keep his insane coat under control. Last time my poor OH had to wear a couple of jumpers and big thick gloves to protect himself from the ball of spitting, hissing fury that was the cat.

Thanks for the help, might just have to bite the bullet and get some! Man these animals cost me a fortune..... :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

I use Andis clippers which do me well enough. They come with a #10 blade, which is all you should need to get rid of matting. Don't get really cheap clippers cause you'll find they'll burn out in no time, so its worth spending a little extra. I think the Andis are about $260 for a two speed... Be careful with clipping cats, though, as their skin is much finer than dogs and can tear/cut easily. Just go slow and you should be fine. Just do a bit at a time. I have a persian that comes in every couple of months to get her derriere done, as she gets quite matted underneath. We just do a couple of minutes at a time and then have a break as she is rather temperamental! Towel wrapping can help too, which calms the cat and protects you!

If all else fails you could try sedation rather than anaesthesia. Should calm the cat down a bit - that's the theory anyway. I had a cairn terrier come in that was apparently sedated and was still nuts! Was actually quite a lovely little dog when he wasn't being groomed lol!

• 1 month later...
If all else fails you could try sedation rather than anaesthesia. Should calm the cat down a bit - that's the theory anyway. I had a cairn terrier come in that was apparently sedated and was still nuts! Was actually quite a lovely little dog when he wasn't being groomed lol!

How do I sedate my Himalayan Persian so that I can clip her? I’ve just bought some Wahl 2-speed clippers and am keen to give it a go. She loves being brushed but won’t tolerate being combed for long. Last time a groomer clipped her at home and I ended up with shredded arms from elbow to wrist.

The only safe way IMO is to have a vet sedate them.

I refuse to clip any cat that is not sedated, it simply is not worth the risk of injury to all involved and takes the stress out of it for the cat.

Human hair clippers will not deal with car hair it simply does not feed through the blades properly.