They Want To Operate On My Puppy!

My Staffie pup, Cheska is 8 months old and got pretty sick yesterday morning. Hacking cough and throwing up white liquid.

Then she kept throwing up every hour, sometimes with food sometimes just while liquid.

So we took her to the vet, the vet said she has kennel cough and gave her a jab and some anti viral. But she didnt improve at all, so we took her to another vet the next day...

The day before she got sick, she chewed up a hose tap (those red plastic nut that you attached to the hose), we found bits and pieces on the lawn, then when she threw up, one tiny piece came out in her spew. SHe never bothered the hose before, not sure why she wanted to chew it up now...

The second vet told us that she suspect something is stuck in her stomach, they need to do an xray but because it is plastic, it may not show up, so they will have to operate her stomach to see if anything stuck there. The operation will cost $2000.

Now, yes it is expensive and big amount for us but we love the dog and there is no way i will let her suffer. But i am really reluctant to let them just cut her open because they suspect something is in there. So i told the vet to do whatever she can to see whats in there before they operate her.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by LeeJane

They diagnosed kennel cough? Was she coughing? Did you tell them about the hose? I am not sure I would ever bother with the first Vet again.

I think your instructions for the Vet sound fine - do what he can to determine if he really needs to open her up. Sounds like he might though. I assume she is not eating either?

If it is a blockage, they don't have a lot of time normally to muck around so I would be prepared for the surgery option. I am sure she will be fine. All surgery carries risks however.

There must be symptoms of blockage, the vomiting would be one. No vet would want to operate in such an invasive manner if it wasn't necessary. You can't leave it too long in these situations. At my last job, one of my colleagues adopted a Boxer puppy. She was very destructive, chewed up all sorts of things but especially the garden watering system. Before she was 8 months of age, she'd had 2 surgeries to remove obstructions. Luckily for him he had pet insurance ...

Good luck, I really hope this works out that she doesn't need surgery.

The second vet told us that she suspect something is stuck in her stomach, they need to do an xray but because it is plastic, it may not show up, so they will have to operate her stomach to see if anything stuck there. The operation will cost $2000.

Now, yes it is expensive and big amount for us but we love the dog and there is no way i will let her suffer. But i am really reluctant to let them just cut her open because they suspect something is in there. So i told the vet to do whatever she can to see whats in there before they operate her.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

If you're not prepared to risk your dog ending up with intestinal necrosis due to an obstruction then don't f*ck about with this LeeJane. Once blood supply is cut off, tissue starts dying and delay may be fatal. If a veterinary professional suspects obstruction and you know she ate something indigestable.. well do the math.

Unless you can get to a surgery that's prepared to an exploratory with an internal camera, let them cut her open. She is probably in great pain.

Edited by poodlefan

Cheska still wants food and wants to play but she seem reluctant to drink, which i am very worried because she just threw up liquid!

She still come to me every morning asking for her breakfast and finished up within seconds and ate her dinner as usual. Still wants to play tug and kept eyeing her kong.

We did tell the first vet that she was vomiting, but she said it is normal with the coughing???

Cheska still wants food and wants to play but she seem reluctant to drink, which i am very worried because she just threw up liquid!

She still come to me every morning asking for her breakfast and finished up within seconds and ate her dinner as usual. Still wants to play tug and kept eyeing her kong.

We did tell the first vet that she was vomiting, but she said it is normal with the coughing???

Your dog should be under observation at a surgery, not at home. I'd not be mucking around with this. Adding more food to her system will simply put more pressure on the obstruction. :thumbsup:

There are going to do the exploratory if they cant see anything in the x ray.

I am not f*cking around for sure, the vet said the dog doesnt seem to be in pain because she is jumping around and want to play. But the excitement does no good to her kennel cough

I am not f*cking around for sure, the vet said the dog doesnt seem to be in pain because she is jumping around and want to play. But the excitement does no good to her kennel cough

Was she vaccinated for KC?

Your dog should be under observation at a surgery, not at home. I'd not be mucking around with this. Adding more food to her system will simply put more pressure on the obstruction. :thumbsup:

she is at the vet under close observation, they are going to do a blood test and xray on her and will keep me posted

Was she vaccinated for KC?

Yes, but the vet said the vacc is not guaranteed....

she is at the vet under close observation, they are going to do a blood test and xray on her and will keep me posted

How do you know she just threw up - did they call you?

ETA: Do they have ultrasound there?

Edited by poodlefan

Is she still pooping? If she had a blockage and was throwing up I would be expecting her to be extremely lethargic - and either not pooping at all or only in very small quanitites.

Difficult to know what to do - if it's a blockage and you mess about she could die very quickly, if it's not a blockage you could throw away a large chunk of cash.

Does anyone know if plastic will show up on an ultrasound and if an ultrasound would be possible in this case?

Is she still pooping? If she had a blockage and was throwing up I would be expecting her to be extremely lethargic - and either not pooping at all or only in very small quanitites.

Difficult to know what to do - if it's a blockage and you mess about she could die very quickly, if it's not a blockage you could throw away a large chunk of cash.

Does anyone know if plastic will show up on an ultrasound and if an ultrasound would be possible in this case?

Snap Sandra. I'm not sure but it would be worth finding out..

she is pooping and eating and vomitting.

the vet didnt want to operate her without doing an xray and blood test.

We really do not mind spending the money to operate her but we are reluctant to let her go through an operation ..

if she is lying there lifelessly, i will force the vet to operate her now! but she is as happy as ever just with the cough and vomiting.... she will cough cough then 'blueek....'....

Yes, Sasha hacked away and coughed up alot of white spit/froth when she had KC. She also brought up little bits of food, but not much. A few days before that she was vomitting alot though - we thought due to a chicken bone she had ingested, but could also have been the KC at work.

Sasha was given antibiotic shot and tablets when she was vomitting, but we didn't really see much improvement until a couple of days.

she is pooping and eating and vomitting.

if she is lying there lifelessly, i will force the vet to operate her now! but she is as happy as ever just with the cough and vomiting.... she will cough cough then 'blueek....'....

Sounds like kennel cough to me quite honestly. Only had it at our place once and it sounded like a TB ward

cough cough :thumbsup: hack hack hack