Green Tea

OK I will show my ignorance here.

Hence why I am asking.

I have heard of 'Green tea' and the benifiets it is supposed to have.

But what exactlly is green tea?

It has been suggested that I start to give my girl chinese green tea due to a recent health scare.

From what I gather it either could or might help but if it doesn't can't hurt.

So where do I buy it? Safeways??

How do I prepare it? (I really do not want to have to go through a whole japanese ritual of tea preparation)

How do I give it to her.

Maybe as a subistute to water?

Any helpful advise will be greatfully recieved

You can buy it in teabag form and just make it like a normal cup of tea. It's available from Coles and Woolworths in the tea and coffee aisle.

If you're going to give it to her, make sure it's room temperature (obviously.)

I wouldn't personally replace her water with it - she might not like it and then get dehydrated.

Who told you to give it to her? A vet? Did they say how to give it to her? To mix some of the made up tea with food or something?

Edited by Baby Dragon

You can buy it in teabag form and just make it like a normal cup of tea. It's available from Coles and Woolworths in the tea and coffee aisle.

I will look for it there next time I'm shopping

If you're going to give it to her, make sure it's room temperature (obviously.)

Hey my girls will not eat anything if it is to hot. i.e above body temp :laugh:

I wouldn't personally replace her water with it - she might not like it and then get dehydrated.

I was thinking of just putting it in only one of their water bowls.

Who told you to give it to her? A vet? Did they say how to give it to her? To mix some of the made up tea with food or something?

The vet didn't suggest it but agreed it couldn't hurt

Thankyou for your reply

Definately dont replace her water with green tea :rofl: I dont reckon youll get her to touch the stuff I tried it for a while and its an acquired taste it tasted really bitter to me. I didnt like it at all.

Yeah I was told it could be bitter if not prepared properly.

Don't worry they will always have access to fresh tap water along with their apple cider vinager water.

Edited to add vinager.

My girls don't drink cider :laugh:

Edited by love-my-dog

:laugh: You obviously don't drink green tea yourself. I'm addicted to China Jasmine Green Tea.

You can purchase it from the supermarket but I'll give you a tip that your normal Dilmah's and Twinings brands taste awful when compared to the stuff you can buy from T2 which have stores in most big shopping centers. But I'm not sure your dog will care. :rofl:

Make sure the water is not boiling when you prepare it as boiling water will turn the green tea bitter/sour. Recommended temp is around 70 to 80 degrees.

I'm presuming that the green tea was suggested because of it's free radicals. I'm not sure how you would get a dog to ingest it other then letting it cool and mixing it in with their food.

:laugh: You obviously don't drink green tea yourself. I'm addicted to China Jasmine Green Tea.

You can purchase it from the supermarket but I'll give you a tip that your normal Dilmah's and Twinings brands taste awful when compared to the stuff you can buy from T2 which have stores in most big shopping centers. But I'm not sure your dog will care. :rofl:

Make sure the water is not boiling when you prepare it as boiling water will turn the green tea bitter/sour. Recommended temp is around 70 to 80 degrees.

I'm presuming that the green tea was suggested because of it's free radicals. I'm not sure how you would get a dog to ingest it other then letting it cool and mixing it in with their food.

Ah I knew there was a secret to green tea.

I don't boil the water.

Yes green tea along with asparagus was suggested because of their free radical properties.

Just so you know we have had a little scare. CANCER

You can purchase it from the supermarket but I'll give you a tip that your normal Dilmah's and Twinings brands taste awful when compared to the stuff you can buy from T2 which have stores in most big shopping centers. But I'm not sure your dog will care. :laugh:

Oh I definitely agree with the supermarket vs T2.

I've never heard it suggested for a dog though... It contains caffiene and will make her pee a lot (well, it makes me pee a lot :rofl: :rofl:)

Green Tea hasn't got that much caffine in it when compared to black tea or coffee. It's great for cleansing the body.

I just checked out the T2. It's expensive compared to the supermarket brands. Is it really worth the difference? I love green tea!

(sorry for the post being a bit OT.)

Yes totally worth it. It may be cheaper in the stores then online. The taste difference between T2 and supermarket brands is amazing.

I just checked out the T2. It's expensive compared to the supermarket brands. Is it really worth the difference? I love green tea!

(sorry for the post being a bit OT.)

Yes, it's worth it! Supermarket stuff tastes blergh.

There isn't a whole lot of price difference when you work out the cost per cup of tea.

I have started drinking green tea and white tea. Thanks for the above tip. I usually take the teabag out fairly soon so it doesn't get too strong.

have you seen Resveratrol tablets? They are an antioxidant tablet

Resveratrol (trans-resveratrol) is a phytoalexin produced naturally by several plants when under attack by pathogens such as bacteria or fungi. Resveratrol has also been produced by chemical synthesis[1] and is sold as a nutritional supplement derived primarily from Japanese knotweed. In mouse and rat experiments, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, blood-sugar-lowering and other beneficial cardiovascular effects of resveratrol have been reported.

you can get them from Chemist Warehouse.

• 1 month later...

I hope you had some luck with the tea drinking from T2!

Off the topic from tea but helpful in relation to cancer is a product called MMS - Miracle Mineral Solution. This is used by humans with cancer and is a natural product which clears the blood/body of toxins. Have heard of it being used on pets as well so could be worth looking into... good luck!