Doggy Door

Outkast1972

Hello all

I can't teach my puppy to use the Doggy Door on the back security screen. She is a Shih Tzu and 8 1/2 months old now, I have been trying to teach her since we got her at 6 months. Our other dog learnt to use it in a few minutes, I even thought seeing the other dog use it would give her the idea. I have tried using treats in front of the doggy door and calling her thru, I pick her up and put her thru, I even open the flap and she jumps thru, but she won't go thru it herself!

Any ideas?

Hello all

I can't teach my puppy to use the Doggy Door on the back security screen. She is a Shih Tzu and 8 1/2 months old now, I have been trying to teach her since we got her at 6 months. Our other dog learnt to use it in a few minutes, I even thought seeing the other dog use it would give her the idea. I have tried using treats in front of the doggy door and calling her thru, I pick her up and put her thru, I even open the flap and she jumps thru, but she won't go thru it herself!

Any ideas?

Is it made of amplimesh or similar? It could be quite heavy for her to push.

You can work up to a heavier door by starting light. Tie the flap up out of the way for a few days and then when she's going through confidently, add a teatowel or something light she has to push out of the way. Once she's confident with that, swap the teatowel for a piece of cardboard and so on.

Has she been clobbered by the door? A lot of dogs get a fright when the follow another dog through and cop the swinging flap in the face. :confused:

Is it made of amplimesh or similar? It could be quite heavy for her to push.

You can work up to a heavier door by starting light. Tie the flap up out of the way for a few days and then when she's going through confidently, add a teatowel or something light she has to push out of the way. Once she's confident with that, swap the teatowel for a piece of cardboard and so on.

Has she been clobbered by the door? A lot of dogs get a fright when the follow another dog through and cop the swinging flap in the face. :eek:

It is the clear plastic type door. Yes, I think she has been hit by it! (I shouldn't laugh but it does look pretty funny when it happens!), when we first got her she did follow our other dog in and the swinging door hit her. I think you are right, this may have scared her from using it again.

I will try you suggestions, I'll tie the door up tonight and get her use to coming in and out that way, then progress as you said.

Thanks!

Conway

It is the clear plastic type door. Yes, I think she has been hit by it! (I shouldn't laugh but it does look pretty funny when it happens!), when we first got her she did follow our other dog in and the swinging door hit her. I think you are right, this may have scared her from using it again.

I will try you suggestions, I'll tie the door up tonight and get her use to coming in and out that way, then progress as you said.

Thanks!

Conway

With a less than confident dog Conway, it can take a while for the dog to build the confidence to use the door. I just changed the flap on mine and had to spend some time getting one of my dogs to use the door because the flap fitted more tightly.

One more thing I'd add is make her use it.. every time she comes and goes, make her use the dog door (or hole at first) and don't open the door for her. You can open it for yourself and then call her through if you need both she and you on one side of the door.

I have a clear plastic dog door and have had many foster dogs that weren't keen on using it. The answer is (thanks to Dr Harry), cut a square of wrapping paper the size of the flap and stick it on. It gives the dog a target to go for and once they are used to it, you can take the paper off normally!

I have a rottie and we got the biggest doggie door we could find got it installed tried in vain to teach him to use it, treats toys, holding the doggie door up for him, leaving him there for a while to figure things out... didn't work, he's one yrs old now and I open the door for him, I've given up on the doggie door.

Edited by chiara

In my experience, a physical target almost always works where a food lure does not for fear issues such as this. I would suggest clicker training a nose touch to a target stick, then taping the door up out of the way, standing on the other side of the door and having the dog touch the target stick. Start off close to the door, move back by successive approximation.

Often what happens is that you hit a point where the dog just "gets it".

Tie the flap up out of the way for a few days

I second what poodlefan says. We did this with midnight and she got the hang of it within a week or so. Then we just left the flap down and it was no problem.

Osca got the hang of the dog door within 20 minutes but he was an adult well and truly by this time. Puppies seem to get spooked easier and take more encouragement.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, a bit OT but it goes with the thread title :o With those of you that have doggy doors, did you install them yourself? I've seen them in the pet store, but the instructions on the back seemed pretty complicated from first read.

Wow I didn't even think this would be an issue, as Shyla went through hers as soon as my dad made it! She has a clear plastic flap, but jumped right through from day 1. Just like humans, dogs have different fears and challenges too, how interesting! I reckon tying it up for a few days would be the go, as well as coaxing through with yummy treats

Ms Bex,

We got ours off ebay and installed it ourselves. My OH did it and he is not a DIY nut. Just make sure you have the tools they reccomend on the back of the pack. And it is going to depend on what your door is made from. Our back door is fairly hollow and so was not too hard to cut through. But If you are unsure I'd pop down to a hardware store and ask them what you will need to do it. The hardest part was making the initital hole. Once its big enough to get the saw in it seemed to be pretty easy.

It was a staywell door and was only $40 but I cant seem to find them anymore although there are other varieties.

If you have a sliding door you could get one that sits in the sliding door. They can be a couple hundred dollars though.

Ms Bex,

We got ours off ebay and installed it ourselves. My OH did it and he is not a DIY nut. Just make sure you have the tools they reccomend on the back of the pack. And it is going to depend on what your door is made from. Our back door is fairly hollow and so was not too hard to cut through. But If you are unsure I'd pop down to a hardware store and ask them what you will need to do it. The hardest part was making the initital hole. Once its big enough to get the saw in it seemed to be pretty easy.

It was a staywell door and was only $40 but I cant seem to find them anymore although there are other varieties.

If you have a sliding door you could get one that sits in the sliding door. They can be a couple hundred dollars though.

Thanks for that. It's a security screen door, and have been checking them out on ebay as well ... will give it a go :laugh:

• 1 month later...

:rofl:

Not sure how the doggy door actually works - can you leave it open whilst your out or is it just for when your at home?

If it can be used when your not home, we are getting a large breed dog so will need a BIG door - is it safe if you are not home? Obviously they'll have to get past the dog first :rofl:

Apologies to OP :p

Edited by Daydreamer

We got the XL size of these http://www.patiolink.com.au/index.html - they have a sliding cover so they 'lock' when you're not home, either if you go out and take the dog(s), or leave the dogs outside, etc.

I didn't find it to be very secure, so we riveted a bolt to each side on the inside to bolt the locking flap on (it can be forced open from the outside otherwise, if someone tried).

I can fit through the flap, so it's a bit of a security concern, but all the doors and windows are locked so they'd only be taking out what they could carry, unless they smash a window or door.

We have a smaller flap on the laundry door (different type) and I can still fit through that one so :thumbsup: (I'm not that small - 170cm tall, average weight). A large man probably wouldn't fit though, my OH or dad wouldn't.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all

Any ideas?

I had a shih tzu who we had a time getting to use the doggy door... I put it down to him just being stubborn and I read that their breed is stubborn which made me laugh. Most of the time he just stood there and barked till I came and lifted the flap for him, we have a bit of a step down too so I think he was scared. Anyhow new Shih Tzu pup was scared so I opened the flap for him a few times then he just got over it and runs through now. He has missed the flap a few times and splatted into the door so he is going through with a bit of caution now lol. I got the other dogs to go through with smackos as a reward and lots of praise.

My dog has never gone through his doggy door with the flap on, it was hard and heavy and swung back quite violently and would hit him (despite the door being really small).

We took the flap off and he used it then.

In the new house I have bought a pig in mud door (not the patio one) and it has a soft plastic bendy flap, both dogs go through it no worries at all. It's a lot better.

We have the small pig in mud door, and found that when Bella was small, she wasn't quite strong enough to open the flap due to the tiny magnets, so we simply removed them. is there some sort of resistance like that , that might be making it harder for him/her to learn with?

We have the patiolink door, and the flap is fairly heavy and stiff due to the magnets, and there was no way a small puppy was going to be able to get out happily if at all. My MIL's older BC x didn't even want to go through at first - the feeling of the flap sliding along the back takes a while for some dogs to get used to.

So we took it off, and put book covering vinyl (not sticky contact, the thicker plastic stuff) in the gap instead - screwed it in the same way as the flap was originally. That way, the dog gets used to having to push something to get out, but it's a more reasonable weight to move and won't scare them off. It might be worthwhile trying that?

Just taking the flap off works too of course, but it lets in the flies and the bugs.

We've got a different type of dog door on the laundry door, which is a hard plastic flap and Gypsy is perfectly happy to go through that at a million miles an hour, but we still haven't replaced the main dog door flap with the original one, and probably won't for another few months.