Independant Puppy?

=SaNdY^BaBii=

It could be the way you approach her,

Dont mean to be personal but ar eyou a smoker??Some dogs for example find the smell on hands very overwhelming.

Very strong perfume the same.

I wouldnt worry,just ignore & reward .

Your pup is still very young

Yes, i am a smoker..

:) didn't know that could put my puppy off!

maybe I should wash hands everytime after smoking!

Good point Sttrlvr..

Washing your hands won't help, your breath and clothes would reek of it too. This could be the best reason you've ever had to quit. :eek:

Edited by poodlefan

Then she just wants to rush out the door. She is not trained to the point she will sit and wait etc.

Ok...

May I suggest that you start teaching her that to get anything, or GO anywhere... she must listen, and obey :eek:

At this stage, from what I am reading- she sounds as if she doesn't have much asked of her at all.... so she possibly doesn't have a lot of respect for you :eek:

here- have some 'homework' :)

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

Edited by persephone

We had a smoker come round one night and even though he didn't smoke inside our house a couple of my dogs wouldn't go near him. I've also had a dog back away from a judge who was a heavy smoker and absolutely reeked of tobacco, he wasn't the only one either, lots of normally rock solid dogs were very wary of this particular judge.

So yes, that could be a reason, I know that smokers generally don't realise just how much they pong to a non-smoker (no offence) so imagine what it must be like for a dog whose sense of smell is so much better than ours.

Or is there really an issue with seeing herself as a leader and not really need to obey us or want to stick to us?

No. If she learns inappropriate behaviours to get what she wants, then you have a problem. In that case it is simply a matter of learning how to change your behaviour to address those inappropriate behaviours. There is nothing from your posts that might suggest this is the case, but feel free to add.

If she doesn't like being touched, grooming and veterinary care could become an issue. You can teach dogs to accept these procedures, I would use clicker training.

I am actually thinking that she might not like being touched because previously when I do get her close to me I try and groom her, eg combing her or cutting nails

because that's the only time I can do it. Otherwise she is running around playing and all sorts.

Could it be because of this?

In theory, yes, but it is fairly unlikely.

Something that I like to do with dogs who don't like to be touched is train them to touch me. Google "target training", you can use your hand instead of a target stick. Apart from being a very handy behaviour (use it to get a dog off furniture, into the car, or teach sit, drop etc with it), but it gives the dog some confidence in being in close contact with you and gives them something to "think about" rather than "react to".

After reading some of the other posts, you might want to wash your hands first :)

Hi All!!

Thanks for all your replies.

So from what I have gathered, first is to - stop smoking! :(

Then, some training for little Miss Momo!

I do agree we don't train her enough and therefore she probably doesn't have much respect or idea or who is leader.

Need to toughen up on the little one!! :hitself:

Osca is a cuddlebug and is quite happy to lie down with me after a night duty for hours even if he has been asleep all night with OH.

Midnight is not like this. Sometime she comes for cuddles or will curl at my feet but at other times she would rather be alone. I found her sleeping on the kitchen lino last night while osca was glued to my back.

I feel this is much to do with who they are and we just have to enjoy the cuddles when she feels like giving them. But OH often tries to cuddle her when she clearly doesnt want to be cuddled and then wonders why she tries to get away.

Have contacted trainer this morning, I think one of my issues is I don't really know the correct way of training her either.

So will speak to a trainer to train me first! :(

This morning as I was getting ready, she came and quite happily stuck to my back while i was sitting on the floor infront of the mirror.

She had her little soft toy with her and just lied there chewing it behind me.

I guess it really is what some of you said, it depends on their mood.

As long as it's not because she is afraid of us or not happy with us then I am happy with that :hitself:

I have two purebred Bichons and they are like chalk and cheese!

Atilla doesnt really like touching - he will come to us and lie next to us on the couch but doesnt appreciate hugs or anything too touchy feely.

Genghis on the otherhand (although 8 weeks old) has the unfailing ability to snuggle up and try to get into the warm parts of the humans.

S

Atilla doesnt really like touching - he will come to us and lie next to us on the couch but doesnt appreciate hugs or anything too touchy feely.

Genghis on the otherhand (although 8 weeks old) has the unfailing ability to snuggle up and try to get into the warm parts of the humans.

S

S

Momo sounds like Atilla! :laugh:

Yesterday I stopped trying to pat her or hug her, just letting her come when she wants or sit away when she wants.

I find that she tends to come over to us more when we don't really initiate it.

:p

• 2 weeks later...

some breeds are aloof and some individuals within breeds are aloof

it is sad when you want a cuddler and you dont get that

we had a cav like that

very aloof and it was disappointing but that was him and he was beautiful so we had to just accept that he didnt need us very much

now we have a mix

we have two that love cuddling and put up with just about anything as long as youre touching them

one is aloof and you get cuddles only by appointment

doesnt matter

we are so long into dogs now we just accept each as an individual

if you need a snuggler then the next time you look for a puppy ask the breeder to help you choose a cuddlybum

All dogs are individuals, some like affection and some do not.

I have a 2 and a half year old boy who has never been into touchy feely stuff.

If you want a cuddlier you'll need to ask the breeder to choose an appropriate dog for you.

Edited by sas